HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Wait, you mean they're actually building new passenger train stations in Canada somewhere!!!

Here in the Maritimes, they just reduced us to three passenger trains per week to and from Montreal. The only cities of decent size in the region still with passenger service are Halifax and Moncton. Passenger trains are so infrequent here now that I can't tell you the last time I actually saw one. I think they are just a myth.....
Cobourg benefits from being right smack on the Toronto - Montreal/Ottawa route. There are about 6 departures daily to all 3 cities.

Interestingly enough I don't even take VIA if I'm headed to Toronto...find it easier and definitely cheaper to drive to Oshawa and take the GO Train.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 5:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Cobourg benefits from being right smack on the Toronto - Montreal/Ottawa route. There are about 6 departures daily to all 3 cities.
Sounds like what Moncton used to be like when I was a kid. There were two trains in both directions daily to Montreal and Halifax as well as connecting trains to Saint John and Charlottetown. At times you could have as many as three trains at the platform all at the same time.

Now we have three trains a week.......

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 6:35 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Yeah, I grew up in Amherst, so I know what you mean...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 6:50 PM

This is Castlegar's train station. Roughly 100 years old and is now the city's museum. No longer a working train station. Only 2 CP Rail cargo trains in and out of the city with some local action in the wye for the nearby sawmill and pulpmill:

What time the next train leave? by jamica1, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 7:12 PM
Look at me!

Bonaventure station. Built by the Montreal and Lachine railway in 1847 and leased by the Grand Trunk in 1864. The station was consumed by fire in 1916.

The interior.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...3g3go1_500.jpg

The Bonaventure was actually a 'temporary' station. Before it went bankrupt, the Grand Trunk had big plans to tear it down and turn the station into a grand urban renewal project, which would have looked like this:

http://www.urbanphoto.net/blog/wp-co...aventure02.jpg

It seems that no matter what, the station's fate wasn't good.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Apparently Phoenix lacks train service.
Mexico City hasn't had passenger train service since 1997, which likely makes it the largest city in the world without passenger train service. They do have an electric commuter train, which makes use of the former Buenavista passenger station, but it doesn't go anywhere outside the city's metro area. If you want to go to Guadalajara without driving, you must take a bus.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 6:42 PM
Urban Fanactic

This was the old train station in Sault Ste. Marie and now it's used as a credit union office.

Photo by me.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:26 PM

Although there is nothing wrong with the Ottawa Train station as a building, the location is less than ideal. The closest hotels are mid-range and located 1.1 kms away; these hold about 500 rooms (Courtyard by Marriott and Hampton Inn). There is a large retail centre (power centre style) and office building directly behind, all part of the "Ottawa Trainyards" development, but these are cut off by the tracks so the walk is about the same distance. The station is served by a BRT station. Currently (as far as I know), most Ottawans taking the train park at the station and most tourists arriving by train take taxis to downtown.

Some improvements are coming in the next five years; a pedestrian tunnel might be built under the tracks to connect the Trainyards. A pedestrian bridge will be built over the Queensway to shorten the trek from the station to the hotels/baseball stadium and best of all, the BRT station is part of the Confederation metro line project.

Of course, all of this fails in comparison to service at old Union Station downtown. Not only was it the absolute best location, but the place was magnificent.

Pictures were previously posted, but here are some more, including the interior;

Main waiting area ceiling;

Main waiting area;

Main concourse where people would go before/after getting on the platforms outside;

Tracks/platforms behind Union;

Stairs took you up to Rideau Street, smaller doorway in the middle would bring people to the Château Laurier through an underground pedestrian tunnel;

All of these features are pretty much still intact, except for the rear platform area which is now Colonel by Drive. It would be a huge investment, but I would love it if they built a tunnel to bring passenger service back to Union Station and bring commuter rail while they are at it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:43 PM

interior of the former cpr station in Winnipeg by me:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 2:48 PM

As I can't see all the pictures I can't tell if this has been posted yet.

Everyone knows about Toronto's Union Station, but not as many know about another railway station, now an LCBO, Summerhill:

Source.

The clock tower was inspired by the St. Mark's Campanile in Venice:

Sorse.

Blorse.

Inside:

(former departures lounge)

(main hall)
Source for both interior pictures.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
The Gare du Palais was built in 1915 by the Canadian Pacific Railway in a design similar to that of the Château Frontenac. Its name pays tribute to the Palace of the Intendant of New France which used to stood nearby. It is served by Via Rail and by private coach company Orléans Express. It was designated a Heritage Railway Station in 1992.

Nowadays, the train station is home to two popular restaurants: L'Aviatic Club and Le Charbon.

Gare par photos de Clo, sur Flickr

Gare du Palais - Québec par Luckyquebec, sur Flickr

Gare du palais - Québec par Luckyquebec, sur Flickr

Gare du Palais par Matt & Suzie, sur Flickr

Gare du Palais, Québec par pylacroix, sur Flickr
Pictures of Gare du Palais, Quebec,QC. From

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada