HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's the old Medical Arts Building, which was demolished to make way for a newer, taller replacement that opened in 1974. According to Winnipeg Downtown Places, the parking lot was originally intended to be the site of a grocery store which, like so many "future phases" of Winnipeg developments, never materialized.

More here: http://winnipegdowntownplaces.blogsp...ical-arts.html
What a shame. Its a pure disgrace that building was demolished and replaced with nothing. It seems that the new Medical Arts Building positioning at half block could of been situated to retain the old building as well.....and why then didn't they place the new Med Arts Bldg on the corner of Graham and Kenedy?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:45 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Different elevated angle on the same building - it was a bit of a monster footprint wise

http://archiseek.com/2012/1923-medic...-ave-winnipeg/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Makes little sense, they tore this down, which was HUGE, and build that disgrace of a building which is tall and slender. For me, I would think the old building has more floor space then the newish one.

Maybe one day that parking lot will also have something on it. Seems this street is doing well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

txs for posting that link archiseek been looking for a photo of that place for long time showing it proper as everything i've seen of it has been at a distance

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 3:53 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Makes little sense, they tore this down, which was HUGE, and build that disgrace of a building which is tall and slender. For me, I would think the old building has more floor space then the newish one.

Maybe one day that parking lot will also have something on it. Seems this street is doing well.
I happen to agree, what a disgrace of what their is now.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:45 PM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
Different elevated angle on the same building - it was a bit of a monster footprint wise

Some of the proposals on that site are beaaauuuitiful!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 4:34 AM

The Winnipeg Architecture Foundation has just launched a website featuring mid-20th century modern design:

http://www.winnipegarchitecture.ca/

There is some really interesting content posted, including some booklets the WAF created to highlight some of this city's most notable examples of modernist architecture.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 5:25 PM

Quote:
The Winnipeg Architecture Foundation has just launched a website featuring mid-20th century modern design:

There is some really interesting content posted, including some booklets the WAF created to highlight some of this city's most notable examples of modernist architecture.
This is a fantastic site. There's so much info here It's hard to know where to start.

As my ethnic background stems from the old European Eastern(bloc) countries and travel to most of these countries, I found that the Orthodox Cathedral on main brings me back to many of these eastern european buildings/structures. The onion domes look so out of place in Winnipeg, but then again this is a very diverse city in regards to historical buildings. I attended a function in Holy Trinity a while back, amazing.

If I have a chance I'll try to add photos from many of the historical building interiors I've visited over the years in winnipeg.

Thx for this site.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 6:18 PM
visionary

Quote:

Thanks so much for sharing.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 6:21 PM
visionary

ARCHITECTURE+DESIGN FILM FESTIVAL 2013 ADFF.CA
8 MAY 2013 - 11 MAY 2013

CINEMATHEQUE, 100 ARTHUR STREET, WINNIPEG
For further information: www.adff.ca
ABOUT THE EVENT

This festival presents critically acclaimed films that focus on the importance of architecture and design in everyday life. The films cover an incredible range of design-oriented topics from architecture and urban design to graphics and product design.
The festival is presented by Urban Ideas, the Winnipeg Film Group, Storefront Manitoba and the Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

http://www.winnipegarchitecture.ca/a...festival-2013/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 6:24 PM
visionary

TERRA COTTA ARCHITECTURE TOUR
7 JULY 2013 AT 1:00 PM

MEET AT THE PANTAGES THEATRE PLAZA, MAIN STREET AT MARKET AVENUE
Free! RSVP Here.

ABOUT THE EVENT

Did you know that many of Winnipeg's "stone" buildings are made of clay?

Winnipeg’s terra cotta collection is large and essentially complete. It is an unparalleled sampling in North America of the variety, versatility and beauty of this material. Join us for a tour through Winnipeg's downtown to learn more about the history of terra cotta, of Winnipeg's history and to view this wonderful collection of terra cotta architecture.

The tour will take about ninety minutes. All surfaces will be wheelchair and stroller accessible.

http://www.winnipegarchitecture.ca/t...itecture-tour/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 6:42 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post

I also agree that monster was a space waster even though it was a lot nicer than what currently lies there.

I wouldn't mind having a replica of that monster there but only being alot taller.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:12 PM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 1:36 AM

Hello. I was curious as to if anybody has any information on this old art deco service station? These are few and far between now. Its a shame that it is only a pawnshop. Would look great restored. A great place for a retro styled diner.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowghost View Post

Hello. I was curious as to if anybody has any information on this old art deco service station? These are few and far between now. Its a shame that it is only a pawnshop. Would look great restored. A great place for a retro styled diner.
Isn't that a bubble tea place now?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 7:51 AM

lol. I took that pic today. So unless they just din't changethe signage,pretty sure its a pawnshop

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 1:54 PM

If I am not mistaken that was an old Texaco Station.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If I am not mistaken that was an old Texaco Station.
I'm pretty sure you're right. This was one of several such Texacos built on a very similar plan. A couple of the survivors have been renovated beyond recognition... the Husky station at Redwood and Arlington is an example of that.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 4:23 PM

A good number of the old style Esso stations were taken down and became 7-11's in the early 1970's.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 8:55 PM

Any interest in reading a 1955 Winnipeg Visitors Guide? Pictorial pages show advertisements for business and restaurants, population statistics, area map, etc. Has 24 pages. Examples below:

[IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]

Mama Trossi menu

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan