HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 3:03 PM
gettin' rich!

Canadian Cities and Urban Development Discussion Thread

I was wondering why a site that focuses on highrise development doesn't have a thread devoted to the impact these new towers and other projects have on the way people interact with the city. Here is a chance for you to discuss how the recent developments in your city, with regards, to local bylaws, new organizations, developments highrise and otherwise are impacting the vibrancy of your community and share them with a wider audience in the Canada thread.

There is no height limit here.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:58 PM
gettin' rich!

Now this is what I'm talking about!!

3 Winnipeg buildings get architecture awards

The Cube, a downtown open-air performance space, is one of three Winnipeg buildings selected for Awards of Excellence from Architecture Canada.

Both the Canadian Museum of Human Rights and Manitoba Hydro Place, also in Winnipeg, received honourable mentions for innovation in architecture for the awards, given every two years.

The Cube, also known as OMS Stage, was hailed for its innovative metal mesh design, which draws back to reveal a stage and can be adapted for everything from concerts to parties.

The jury called the work, by 5468796 Architecture Inc., a "little gem that restores the architects' role within rituals of daily life in Winnipeg."

Jurors praised the mesh design for the way it refracted light and images to the outside when closed.

"The Cube is a brilliant work of architectural art. It takes a simple object like the cube and transforms it into a piece of art. The use of materials and their assembly is quite imaginative and evident in how light is refracted," the jury said.

Smith Carter Architects and Engineers and Antoine Predock received an honorable mention for use of BIM (building information management) technology to lower construction costs and improve long-term management at the Canadian Museum of Human Rights, currently under construction. The Canadian Construction Association has been promoting the use of BIM, which is popular in Europe, by its members.

Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg and partners got a mention for the design of Manitoba Hydro Place, which incorporates energy efficiency. The building is said to be the most energy efficient large office tower in North America.

More of the article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...re-awards.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 5:37 PM
surely you agree with me

^i was a big supporter of the cube initially, but it didnt really meet my expectations in the end....its pretty drab in the daylight and it has been widely panned by the performing arts community as being non-functional......

the pulled back opening compresses the performers visually and is not comfortable to be on.

they even had to put a temporary stage in front of it at last year's fringe festival...with hanging speakers on wires....not terribly elegant.

there is even a facebook page complaining about it

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5362859&v=wall

CBC interview discussing its shortfalls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCFU7tn4OGE

it was supposed to be capable of having projected images on it to allow films to be shown in the park but they had to buy a separate screen and sit it in front for those occasions.

its a cool idea that didnt quite work out in the end....it won a whack of international awards though because it photographs nicely at night and its deficiencies dont have to mentioned in any awards submission.

Last edited by trueviking; Apr 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 6:03 PM
Vancouverite

NIMBYs control the city of Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
NIMBYs control the city of Vancouver.
NIMBYs own, control and terrorize the city of Montreal. (though things have been getting better lately)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 11:28 PM
gettin' rich!

In Toronto the NIMBY's have been run out of town...

There are some NIMBY's left, but how can they be taken seriously when they live in 50 storey towers and are just trying to protect their views.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 1:44 AM

I bet you killed them off one by one cal^^

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 2:25 AM
gettin' rich!

No, no I didnt... honest.

Here is a good one, Rob Ford, our mayor here in Toronto is planning on selling off prime waterfront real estate in central Toronto to balance the city budget instead of beautifying the waterfront, like what has been done in Chicago.

Obviously you can't build skyscrapers at the waterfront, but I don't know where I fall on this one... Is it better for the city to develop the waterfront land with money it doesnt have or let private companies deal with it?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 2:58 AM
Give us a kiss

^well my rule of thumb is, if Chicago did it, chances are it's the way to go.
seriously, imo there is not much that Chicago got wrong, at least in the downtown (loop + river north) area.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:04 AM

Downtown St. John's is seeing a fair bit of development, though many of the projects are not complted yet. There has been a lot of redevelopments of the older buildings downtown, either into condos, stores or offices, and I think it has made a big difference. It is much more more vibrant now and it seems a lot of people are travelling downtown to go shopping. The residential neighbourhoods around downtown have also seen big transformations.

I believe there are about five or six condos either proposed or underconstruction at the moment. While they are not large developments, due to the restrictions in place, there should be about 500 new condo units built. So with between to 1000 to 1500 people moving into the core it should make a difference.

Office buildings are also getting built which will change the skyline for the first time in close to 20 years, and they will also bring more people downtown. Some of the new projects will add a number of parking spots and parking this is often a reason people use for not going downtown so hopefully that makes a difference.

Here's what St. John's may look like over next couple of years.

This was done by Architype

Some condo projects are covered by the rock to the right.

Last edited by PoscStudent; May 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
In Toronto the NIMBY's have been run out of town...

There are some NIMBY's left, but how can they be taken seriously when they live in 50 storey towers and are just trying to protect their views.
Nimbyism is definitely alive and well in Toronto. Try getting something of modest height developed in the Annex. Or along the bloor subway line for that matter...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 11:17 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Nimbyism is definitely alive and well in Toronto. Try getting something of modest height developed in the Annex. Or along the bloor subway line for that matter...
The provincial development board will change this as the land available for open development diminishes, intensification will occur on transit routes. No one can stop this now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Canada's 7 architectural Wonders

http://www.torontosun.com/travel/can.../17963106.html

Plus 15 Skyway Network, Calgary: As the world's most extensive pedestrian system off the ground, Plus 15 was considered a hallmark in urban development. The architect, Harold Hanen, even won an award in 1970 for urban planning. There is a total of 16 km and 59 bridges in the system. (Shutterstock)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:47 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:

Plus 15 Skyway Network, Calgary: As the world's most extensive pedestrian system off the ground, Plus 15 was considered a hallmark in urban development. The architect, Harold Hanen, even won an award in 1970 for urban planning. There is a total of 16 km and 59 bridges in the system. (Shutterstock)
Ironically, many urban Calgarians view the Plus 15 as a blight on the city. It takes most pedestrians away from the street level and results in a very quiet-seeming downtown at times. Unless it's one of the 2 or 3 warm summer months.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:59 PM

Quote:
No, no I didnt... honest.

Here is a good one, Rob Ford, our mayor here in Toronto is planning on selling off prime waterfront real estate in central Toronto to balance the city budget instead of beautifying the waterfront, like what has been done in Chicago.

Obviously you can't build skyscrapers at the waterfront, but I don't know where I fall on this one... Is it better for the city to develop the waterfront land with money it doesnt have or let private companies deal with it?
Chicago had there Waterfront prepped by Olmsted in the 1800's this is clearly on a different level. It was designed in the publics best interest then, I dont agree that the private sector will build anything other than crap. Look what has been built each times they have been given the keys to large chunks of land on the lake

The first Condos when the Waterfront was a wasteland, I don't even know there specfic names but the concrete tombs with my least favorite building in the whole city the Westin Habourfront.

Next up CityPlace. Its complete crap, aside from some cool art commissions it has had installed the development is a Jr. Saint James Town.

So why would we believe the private sector will take it upon itself to build anything decent. ... they won't.

Only Public hands can ensure something will end-up nice in the end for the ture enjoyment of the public. Waterfront TO has done a amazing job at planning this thing out, let them keep doing what there doing its not perfect but its better than the alternative.

The thing is with this parcel of land is that if its developed correctly its land value will soar and the City will gain from that. If you put what Doug Ford wants on there; big box stores, and a stadium it will just bleed money and be a dump.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Ironically, many urban Calgarians view the Plus 15 as a blight on the city. It takes most pedestrians away from the street level and results in a very quiet-seeming downtown at times. Unless it's one of the 2 or 3 warm summer months.
I remember somebody on this board bringing up the same effect PATH has in Toronto. It keeps a lot of the hustle and bustle that would going on outside on the street trapped, and hidden.

They should close Plus 15 down in the summer? force people outside. But i'll admit I'm not terribly familiar with this system though, is it strictly just walk-ways or are there shops and services integrated within them also?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:09 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
I remember somebody on this board bringing up the same effect PATH has in Toronto. It keeps a lot of the hustle and bustle that would going on outside on the street trapped, and hidden.

They should close Plus 15 down in the summer? force people outside. But i'll admit I'm not terribly familiar with this system though, is it strictly just walk-ways or are there shops and services integrated within them also?
My assumption is there are probably shops integrated into this path system in Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:13 PM

Quote:
The provincial development board will change this as the land available for open development diminishes, intensification will occur on transit routes. No one can stop this now.
Just because the unelected OMB decides to overrule what's been decided at community council doesn't mean that "Nimby's have been run out of town". Nimbyism is alive and well in TO, and I guess to a certain extent, you can thank Jane Jacobs for that...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:17 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Just because the unelected OMB decides to overrule what's been decided at community council doesn't mean that "Nimby's have been run out of town". Nimbyism is alive and well in TO, and I guess to a certain extent, you can thank Jane Jacobs for that...
My point is, sure there is NIMBISM, but it's on the run, just due to environmental constraints of available land to develop. INTENSIFICATION will occur.

THIS CANNOT BE FOUGHT. - Bloor street and the annex will have to get use to more intensive development in the future, even if they are protected in the somewhat immediate future from skyscrapers, the heights in the area are increasing as is the number of dwelling units.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
The latter. Much of Calgary's downtown retail is highly dependent on Plus 15 traffic. Which is much of the complaint - it seriously reduced street-level retail.

Winnipeg's Skywalk system, although not quite as extensive, suffers from this as well. Back in the 70s the city closed down Portage & Main to pedestrian traffic with the specific intent of driving pedestrians underground and into the enclosed environment. In fact, it was one of the demands of the developer when they constructed one of the major skyscrapers on the corner. The official line is safety and traffic flow, but opening that corner to pedestrians would likely bring a lawsuit from the landlord.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada