HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 1:31 AM

I thought this was an appropriate article for this thread :

You can’t fight sprawl without downtown development

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Columnist
Fri, May 13 - 4:54 AM

No disrespect to Halifax — or Detroit, for that matter — but the Nova Scotia capital has a long way to go before it could be considered the Detroit of Canada’s East Coast, as some suggest it is in danger of becoming.

For one thing, Halifax Regional Municipality, one of the largest municipalities by area in the country, has a population of about 400,000, which is still not nearly as large as Detroit even after it was decimated by a declining economy, crime and urban decay.

In many respects, it is like comparing apples and oranges.

Despite losing a large portion of its population to the suburbs, urban Detroit has a population of slightly more than 700,000 residents. When you throw in the population of the suburbs, metro Detroit has a population of about 4.3 million.

Yes, Halifax is growing, but the sprawl here is nothing compared to the other major centres in the country. Anyone who has tried to get around metro Toronto knows what I’m talking about.

Some people who live in the former city of Halifax consider long-standing communities like Lower Sackville, Bedford and even parts of Dartmouth to be sprawl. But that’s not sprawl.

Those communities have been there and the city has simply grown to melt those communities into one larger entity.

The Halifax purists may moan about the creation of retail centres like Dartmouth Crossing, but that is not sprawl. It is a legitimate development within an area of the regional municipality.

While some want to create laws to rule various aspects of life including where you can live, the real answer to preventing sprawl is to make living and working in the urban core more attractive.

Part of the problem has been opposition to downtown development, including some by the same people who lament urban sprawl. Arguing against downtown development while at the same time fighting the natural evolution of the city growing outward seems like a losing proposition for everyone. A choice has to be made.

The fight to block downtown development is partially responsible for downtown Halifax becoming pockmarked with empty lots while developers move to reduce taxes while waiting for conditions to improve. There’s nothing attractive about it.

Redevelopment of the downtown needs to be economical because of the costs involved, therefore a higher density is necessary. But there is a vocal segment of the population who still believe downtown construction should be restricted to six storeys.

That forces developers to move office buildings and jobs to the industrial parks and other parts of the city where the costs are less and they can get a legitimate return on their investment.

Such action also encourages people to move closer to their jobs in the suburbs.

Even if you use a car to get to work in Halifax, the commuting times are still reasonable, especially when compared to larger cities like Toronto. In many cases, the commute in Halifax only becomes much longer if you choose to use the transit system.

Fixing the transit system would be another answer to preventing sprawl. Most people can live outside the downtown and still get to work using their car in reasonable time, so there is little benefit to living in the urban core.

I’m not endorsing sprawl. It is happening, but it’s not within Halifax’s control.

A growing number of people are commuting to Halifax daily from Truro, the South Shore and the Annapolis Valley.

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 1:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That article is so confused I don't even have time to get into all of its problems. He is wrong. Suburban subdivisions and big box stores are sprawl -- these areas were not pre-existing "communities" (I hate that silly platitude). He's also confused about the difference between the overall extent of a city and the efficiency of its land use. Halifax is small but horribly planned. There are many larger cities with better land use.

The ridiculously incorrect generalizations about the downtown are really tiresome. It's not true that the area's losing population. It's been gaining for years. One downtown census tract grew by 16% from 2001-2006. People are just out to lunch.

The horrible defeatist culture in Halifax is perhaps the thing I like the least about the place. The local print media in particular are abysmal now and keep getting worse as the industry declines.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
When I saw this post I though of a particular forumer here.
Toronto #1 in sports? In what universe?

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Toronto #1 in sports? In what universe?

no in Ontario

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
no in Ontario
lol...I don't know about that even....well I guess the Argos made the playoffs

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 10:09 PM
gettin' rich!

I'm in a North York Centre coffee shop right now, the lady next to me is talking about stars and quasars and the like. She is also talking above Love and life and Jerry springer.

North York Centre is crazy busy and so it's also getting more lively everyday.

Where I'm at: Empress Walk Second Cup
What I got : Vanilla Latte
Switching from 3G to WiFi now.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:01 AM
Urban Fanactic

If you want to get all the insights into Cal's day you no longer have to follow him on Twitter.
You can now follow him on Skyscraperpage. (It's not just about buildings anymore).

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:08 AM
gettin' rich!

Yeah, I dont use my twitter page, even though I have 400 followers, they are all adscam and SEO artist. Plus they dont love urban development and skyscraper construction.

BTW: I'm still in North York Centre at Empress Walk in the big circle atrium. There is this store enclosed in glass, and there are tonnes of lightly dress girls in hooker heels showing off their shit. I could pick up all these girls if I wanted.

The Time: 8.15pm Sunday EST Toronto.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:38 AM
gettin' rich!

Pic here

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:19 AM
gettin' rich!

Just got word that the famous developer of the Bow in Calgary (Norman Foster) will be developing a project in Toronto. If my thinking is correct this will be a multi-tower development although I wouldnt expect any real height here, but surely some fantastic design. The East Toronto Downtown needs this, it needs Norman Foster, so much wasted here already time to develop all new, I await the formal confirmation, and design renders. 10 years from now no one will complain about the Toronto waterfront.

The Lowdown: 12.20 am EST Toronto.
Watching: Termintor (1984)

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:26 AM
Urban Fanactic

Thats sound like really good news. Toronto needs some fantastic designs.
And the one who developed the Bow I think can come up with some real interesting designs that we can all appreciate.

Jeez Cal were do you find all these woman like this. When I go to Toronto, I never see anybody like that. They are all in business attire. I guess I need to go at a different time or something.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:42 AM
gettin' rich!

Well finally the weather has gotten better, best place to scope out mature honies:

Yorkville, Little Italy

For the 20 somethings, and skater chicks:

Yonge Street, and Dundas Square.

905 chicks:

Eaton Centre

Russian and Jewish Chicks

Yorkdale

Spanish chicks:

Bloor West and St. Clair West.

Indian Chicks:

Brampton

Philliphina chicks:

Eglinton West and Forest Hill

Old Money Anglo Saxon Chicks:

Mount Pleasant and Rosedale.

Black Chicks:

Malvern & Teasdale

Iranian and Korean Chicks:

North York Centre

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:51 AM
gettin' rich!

Obviously you love what you cant have, so then guess which neighbourhood I never go to.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 5:08 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ The above content is not appropriate for this thread, or probably anywhere else on this forum, and it borders on racism.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 5:14 AM
gettin' rich!

Guy you are reading into scoping honies far too deeply.

What I am doing is reveling in the multicultural beauty of this city, and where these clicks of girls like to hang out, regardless of race, heritage, age, and/or cultural standing.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 5:24 AM

But where dem hipster girls at?
Queen West?

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 5:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Guy you are reading into scoping honies far too deeply.

What I am doing is reveling in the multicultural beauty of this city, and where these clicks of girls like to hang out, regardless of race, heritage, age, and/or cultural standing.
It may not be racist, but has nothing to do with urban development anyway.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 5:38 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It may not be racist, but has nothing to do with urban development anyway.
Ah yes, but what about the development of an urban vibe. As habfanmann would love to point out what makes a city great is not it's skyscraper construction but it's belle de jour, or as we say in English, "The Beauty of the Day".

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 6:14 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The showcasing of ethnic diversity via carnal instinct, and urban development are not the same thing. Nice spin though.
But then it's your thread so you can take it wherever you want.

Last edited by Architype; May 16, 2011 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 11:09 AM
gettin' rich!

Hey this odd thought just came into my head. Now that we will likely see the demolition of existing buildings downtown for new landmark skyscraper construction, I was thinking that those prime examples downtown for redevelopment must include the Delta Chelsea Hotel Across the street from the Aura Tower, and that 2 storey building across from the world's biggest bookstore. These two buildings are not making the most effective use of the valuable land their sitting on.

Where: York Mills Centre
Doing: Laying a beat down on the Rush Hour Subway Crowd.
Time: 7.10 am EST Toronto Time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada