HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:30 AM
arf

^There were some diggers on the lot. It's on The Battery side of Termperance near the harbour, correct? There were also some orange pylons on the city side of the street, but little progress.

I personally don't think anything is really going on. Digging doesn't make something under construction. There are plenty of empty lots and big holes around the world to prove that.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Homeinmyshoes; I checked out your thread and it's nice, sort of very old-time working class.

Thread Link

Here's a few comments -
You could do a thread of blocked views and sell it to Historic Trust.
This one's a real good view blocker (& They should screen off that ugly equipment on top of Atlantic Place):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/...b26424f1_b.jpg
My great-granfather lived in this area before I was born, many of the homes are now renovated and devoid of character:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/...119c7dd8_b.jpg
Nice coverage of the "what will happen here?" area:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2703/...0e10c62f_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/...1349246d_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/...64195a28_b.jpg
Getting rusty, time for paint:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/...c1b4d5ab_b.jpg
Still waiting for those windows to be installed?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/...3c9743b0_b.jpg
Can't decide if I like this until it's finished because of the massive concrete wall:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/...8c75c3c6_b.jpg
How do people like those townhouses at the Battery, I think they could have done a little better with the facades.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/...6d60041a_b.jpg

I'll post a reply on your thread later when it needs a bump.

Last edited by Architype; Mar 23, 2010 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:49 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^There were some diggers on the lot. It's on The Battery side of Termperance near the harbour, correct? There were also some orange pylons on the city side of the street, but little progress.

I personally don't think anything is really going on. Digging doesn't make something under construction. There are plenty of empty lots and big holes around the world to prove that.
They have quite an impressive web page, it's in PDF format:

http://www.nolanhall.com/pdfs/harbour-side.pdf

It says construction begins spring 2010. They must have plenty of confidence in these type of units to sell. It claims to be 5 star; the units are quite small; I can see them working well only as hotel units, and not as long-term residences.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:52 AM
arf

Thanks Architype. It was an old time working class kind of day. Not every day is pretty and this one actually illustrates how St. John's feels to me many days. The thread was really just filler from trying to grab a few more numbers, but the last few pages of the St. John's thread was definitely guiding what I was grabbing. The bench is one of the only spots to sit for almost three blocks on Harbour Drive. I had to take a picture of it as well as the complete stupidity that is Atlantic Place and the rest of Harbour Drive as far as a useful public space.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:11 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The chain-link fence adds the finishing touch to total architectural wrongness. lol
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/...c1b4d5ab_b.jpg

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I had some spare time, so here's another version of my little series "What Fortis could do".

I find this interesting because, aside from the height and view restrictions, it seems almost impossible to come up with a design that everybody will like, given the controversy of new developments in downtown St. John's. Jeddy1989 suggested multi-coloured glass, so I tried to come up with something following any suggestions given.

Just so you know, I don't think this would be an appropriate type of building for that site, but I drew it anyway because it's just fun. lol

Just a reminder - this is not a real design proposal !
Whad'ya think ?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:26 AM

^ Architype I absolutly love it. The more muted colours the intersting designing the mix of old and new the Newfoundland and Labrador flag. I think you should send it to Fortis to give them an idea.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
^ Architype I absolutly love it. The more muted colours the intersting designing the mix of old and new the Newfoundland and Labrador flag. I think you should send it to Fortis to give them an idea.
Thanks PoscStudent. I think Nfld. has architects that could do much better than this but they stay away from controversial projects because of the heritage lobby.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:39 AM

I think a design like yours would be less controversial then the current proposal. Obviously not everyone will like it but I think, I don't no why I think this, that most people just want something with a bit of thought put into it. Yours definitly has a lot of thought put into it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:19 AM

^ i love it! this is more along the lines of what i was thinking ... i think this is more progressive i think it should be a republic flag though .. these are the types of proposals i'd like to see ... it keeps the look on water street and makes for something more modern to look at from the rooms and ppls veiws will improve with tis type of design instead of looking at the oil tanks hahahha ...this would actualy fit in great with the other office towers like cabot place ... it'd be like creating a style for highrises in downtown st. john's so it all goes together, while keeping the historic look on water street.. seriously you should send it in and say people support this type of design more, just for an idea.... because they said they were open to design suggestions

(also that flag would be gigantic! lol... i was wondering why the building seemed smaller in thi pic but its just that the flag would be huge)

Last edited by jeddy1989; Mar 23, 2010 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:34 AM

I don't no if anyone knows much about this but people have complained about Fortis' design being all glass instead of them using other materials. I was wondering though if it is as easy for a building to be environmentally sustaible without all the glass, seeing Fortis' plan was going to be LEED Silver Certified?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
arf

^Well, glass is a terrible insulator. Other materials usually fare better in respect to heat loss.

I actually like that one better Architype. I like the ode to the Cabot Place buildings you've done with the colour-scheme. Although you could lose the flag pole and just colour the structure itself as the flag.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:45 PM

^ Architype, if you lose the flag pole and use smaller panals of glass in that proposal idea (say half or quater the size) the building will apear alot more grand.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:00 PM

^ Yeah I think your probably right about the size of the windows.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 9:21 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
^ Architype, if you lose the flag pole and use smaller panals of glass in that proposal idea (say half or quarter the size) the building will apear alot more grand.
Thanks, you are right, I was going for a different look, but it's better if I draw it the conventional way. Homeinmyshoes is right, continuous glass is used more not as an insulator, but to give maximum views, natural light and interior flexibility. Solid walls are a better insulator, and cheaper, depending upon materials used. In an all glass building the quality and appearance of the glass is highly important. The flag is huge, and would have to be made by NASA to withstand the weather. I've seen flags used on top of tall buildings, but not that big; I drew it big so it's visible lol. Instead of a flagpole it could more likely be just a mast which could possibly be lit up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Thanks, you are right, I was going for a different look, but it's better if I draw it the conventional way. Homeinmyshoes is right, continuous glass is used more not as an insulator, but to give maximum views, natural light and interior flexibility. Solid walls are a better insulator, and cheaper, depending upon materials used. In an all glass building the quality and appearance of the glass is highly important. The flag is huge, and would have to be made by NASA to withstand the weather. I've seen flags used on top of tall buildings, but not that big; I drew it big so it's visible lol. Instead of a flagpole it could more likely be just a mast which could possibly be lit up.
I like the idea of something on the top that could be lit up... but you have to promise to when you're dont this, that you send it in to fortis! ... it's like a forming idea that has the opinions of ppl who have been folowing development in this city for a long while and are probably more objective then most people

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Thanks Jeddy1989. Here's a revised drawing -

I enjoy doing drawings and commenting on things, but am not likely to send it to Fortis; they have access to various resources and the internet like everyone else, but if someone else wanted to do that with my drawings as a suggestion they are free to do so. IMO there are many possibilities for a type of design, this is just one of them. It's easy to make a nice drawing as a concept, but it's not the same as dealing with a real project with budget and other requirements. For example, I like the idea of retaining the heritage facades or even part of the buildings, and although I think it's important, it's the kind of thing that is very expensive and difficult to engineer. BTW, although my drawings show the heritage facades as they are painted now, if they were to retain them they would most likely be restored to the original brick or stone.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:38 AM

^ I understand exactly what you're saying ... what i mean is to do this to let them know that people are trying to come up with solutions and it's just an idea .. they could do what they want with it but it might inspire them or show them that what people are discussing and comming up with is that we don't mind if the two buildings don't look the same and there are alot of specific ideas floating around ... know what i mean? i dont mean to send it in as this is what their proposal should be ... but more of a reminder that there are people discussing and colaborating on creative ideas that are specificly about their site

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:51 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I had some spare time, so here's another version of my little series "What Fortis could do".

I find this interesting because, aside from the height and view restrictions, it seems almost impossible to come up with a design that everybody will like, given the controversy of new developments in downtown St. John's. Jeddy1989 suggested multi-coloured glass, so I tried to come up with something following any suggestions given.

Just so you know, I don't think this would be an appropriate type of building for that site, but I drew it anyway because it's just fun. lol

Just a reminder - this is not a real design proposal !
Whad'ya think ?
That's one sharp looking building, man! If you can't get it built in St John's, I wouldn't mind seeing that in Moncton

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:59 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

LOL - in Moncton it could be a lot taller. Maybe I'll redraw it at 20 stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's