HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
I looked at a job posting for my field last night online and they wanted 7+ years experience and are offering a pathetic 45K as a yearly salary for that position.
I think we need some context here. What field of work are you involved in?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:26 PM

WestJet just announced this morning that they are starting daily St John's - Dublin service next summer. Exceptionally cool!!!

As a mainlander who married into a Nfld family & visits frequently, I think other Canadians heading to Ireland via this route should use their stop in St John's as a chance to discover the city for a few days too!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo44 View Post
WestJet just announced this morning that they are starting daily St John's - Dublin service next summer. Exceptionally cool!!!

As a mainlander who married into a Nfld family & visits frequently, I think other Canadians heading to Ireland via this route should use their stop in St John's as a chance to discover the city for a few days too!
Yeah that is awesome. I just did a google search and here is some more info.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1262...to-our-network

Quote:
CALGARY, Nov. 15, 2013 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced Dublin, Ireland**, as the airline's first transatlantic destination with seasonal daily service from June 15, 2014, to October 5, 2014, with non-stop flights to Dublin from St. John's, Newfoundland, direct (same-aircraft) flights from Toronto and connections from across WestJet's network.

Highlights of the new service include:
• New daily non-stop flights between St. John's and Dublin
• New daily direct (same-aircraft) flights between Toronto and Dublin
• New daily non-stop flights between Ottawa and St. John's connecting to Dublin
• Daily connections between Dublin and Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and other cities across WestJet's network

All Dublin service will operate using WestJet's Boeing Next-Generation 737-700 series aircraft.

"It is an exciting time for WestJet as we bring our unique brand of low fares and award-winning guest experience to a whole new market," said Chris Avery, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development. "WestJet's innovative foray into the European market represents a willingness to do what it takes to connect Canadians to the world while bringing the world to Canada. From Dublin, guests can access low-cost flights to more than 100 cities in Europe."

WestJet's first transatlantic route will cut the current travel time from St. John's to Dublin by nearly half, and in just about the same time it takes to fly from Toronto to Calgary, guests are able to experience ancient castles, cobblestone roads, and the Cliffs of Moher.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:09 PM

That is awesome news! I just priced a flight from June 25th to July 2nd; comes out to $560... not a bad deal at all, considering this is a non-seat sale price... Barely more expensive than flying to Halifax, and considerably cheaper than Toronto!

I can see some European trips in my near future...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:26 PM

Wow, that's a crazy price! I might just have to reserve a trip before they inevitable go up!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 7:42 AM

Three Cheers for more direct flights to Europe!

Really great

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:41 PM

Minister Says Deficit is Down by $113-million

VOCM
Dec 2, 2013

Here's another one, I'm on a roll this morning!

Quote:
Finance Minister Tom Marshall provided an update today on the state of the province's finances. In April, government pegged the projected deficit this year at $563-million, based on $105 for a barrel of oil. That number is now $450.6-million, $113-million less than announced back at budget time. Marshall also says he expects the province to be back to having a surplus by 2015-16.

The province's debt is now $9.1-billion, down from $9.5-billion
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=41240

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:31 PM

Location: Edmonton,Alberta(work) St. John's, NL (where my heart is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I think we need some context here. What field of work are you involved in?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, work has been super crazy with everything trying to get clued up before the holiday break in 2 weeks.

To answer your question I am a Web Developer and Database Administrator. Should also mention that when I called about the position It was relayed to me that the salary was listed incorrectly and should have been $55k a year.

To me though and yes I realise that St. John's will never have wages comparable to Alberta $55k a year is still a bit low when 7 years experience is required.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, work has been super crazy with everything trying to get clued up before the holiday break in 2 weeks.

To answer your question I am a Web Developer and Database Administrator. Should also mention that when I called about the position It was relayed to me that the salary was listed incorrectly and should have been $55k a year.

To me though and yes I realise that St. John's will never have wages comparable to Alberta $55k a year is still a bit low when 7 years experience is required.
I agree but I think that company would be hard-pressed to fill such a position given the requirements in relation to salary. I find, from my experiences at least, that many employers seem to highball job requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if this position ends up being filled by someone with less experience.... YMMV.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:36 PM

Quote:

oh, so you might know Chris Chafe then? he did the exact same thing working in IT/computers and moved to Alberta... for the same reasons.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:13 PM

Jesus, not this again

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:34 PM

Loan Guarantee Signed and Delivered

VOCM News
Dec 11, 2013

Also posted in the Lower Churchill Project thread in the Atlantic Provinces forum.

Quote:
With financing secured, the conditions of the Muskrat Falls federal loan guarantee have officially been met. The Premier made the announcement to a room full of more than a hundred supporters last night. The province was able to borrow $5-billion over 40 years at a blended rate of 3.8 per cent. For ratepayers, that means a savings of over a billion dollars. VOCM's Danielle Barron reports.

Kathy Dunderdale says there was a lot of interest in the project. Because of that, the province was able to achieve the highest possible credit rating at what she calls a historically low interest rate. TD Securities and Goldman Sachs are the co-lead arrangers. They and a syndicate of financial institutions have raised the the $5-billion.

Dunderdale says the magnitude of the financing cannot be underestimated. The bond placement she says is one of the largest in Canadian history. She attributes the success of financing to the team at Nalcor. Dunderdale says the fact is there's a robust business case and the benefits cannot be denied.

The Premier calls it a proud day for Nova Scotia and Canada. She says it is Newfoundland and Labrador's time to be a leader in the country like never before.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...41524&latest=1

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 6:10 PM

Cruise Ships to Bolster Tourism in St. John's this Year

VOCM News
Jan 26, 2014
Author: Unknown

Quote:
2014 will bring a 73 per cent increase in tourism to St. John's from cruise ship passengers. Mayor Dennis O'Keefe said in his address to the St. John's Rotary Club this week that this year, the number of visitors will increase to 33,000 from 19,000.

He says from June until September, that will put roughly $300-million into the economy.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...42845&latest=1

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:32 PM

Statoil surges ahead with NL plans

The Telegram
Feb 7, 2014
Author: Ashley Fitzpatrick

Quote:
Offshore Newfoundland and Labrador has today been named a core area of exploration for Statoil, with the company prioritizing work in the province's Flemish Pass Basin.

The offshore oil rig West Aquarious docked in Conception Bay recently. — Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram
Addressing investors this early morning, Statoil leadership announced the company will bring a semi-submersible rig capable of deepwater work to the province and move ahead with drilling more exploration wells in its offshore acreage within the next two years.

Big news and a big boost to the economy!

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...ith-NL-plans/1

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:18 PM

Location: Edmonton,Alberta(work) St. John's, NL (where my heart is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
oh, so you might know Chris Chafe then? he did the exact same thing working in IT/computers and moved to Alberta... for the same reasons.

Who sorry?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 6:44 PM

It's hilariously ironic that I'm posting this after Chris Chafe was brought up but I was in a meeting today and figured I'd share some news on future oil exploration. Keep in mind this is in a constant state of change, but this is the outlook as it looks today. In addition to developments I've mentioned previously (Husky GBS, Chevron bringing the West Mira here, Stena IceMax), this is new news:

-Statoil has contracted the West Hercules (sister rig to the West Aquarius and West Mira) to do their exploration work in the Flemish Pass

-"European companies" (I have no idea who, sounds pretty preliminary) are supposedly buying up licenses to conduct exploration in the three basins Nalcor reported off of Labrador last year (likely quite a ways out, but promising nonetheless)

-Not in this province, but will produce a ton of activity here: the exploration by Shell in NS will be a lot larger in scale than initially thought; now the plan is from two to seven wells. After that, BP will begin drilling... I have no idea where; this was the first any of us have heard of it.

Unfortunately that's all the details I have; as I've said before, I'm pretty low on the totem pole, but figured I'd share what little I do know.

One thing I do know, is I sincerely hope the Hercules and Mira have a better run here then the Aquarius has so far; the thing has been an absolute pile. Pretty sad when the brand new, state of the art rig has more issues than the ancient HGR and GGB.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:25 AM

Nova Scotia may become huge in the future based on the new pipeline proposals, so it's not surprising that a few other players are looking at options there. The government of Nova Scotia had an information booth/recruiting in Houston a few weeks ago.

If Nova Scotia becomes a pipeline terminal, NL could likely become a gas producer in the short to midterm future. It would obviously be a lot more economical for oil/gas producers to begin looking at gas production/transmission options.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 8:51 PM

Northeast Avalon housing market shows steady, slow growth

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...561155?cmp=rss

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 2:20 PM

Info I found and Signal posted in the Canada thread ... so I'll repost here haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Some excellent, good, and lukewarm news for St. John's from the city's latest State of the Economy report.

In 1992, 32.1% of the NL population lived in the St. John's CMA. By 2013, that had risen to 38.7%

St. John's CMA’s share of total provincial GDP is 48%.

From 2012 to 2013:
Read GDP grew 4.4%
Personal income grew 4.7%
Retail trade grew 3.9%
Unemployment rate dropped to 6.1%

In 2013, the CMA (not just the city proper, but the entire Northeast Avalon) recorded it's 12th consecutive population increase.

Between the 2001 and 2011 census years, the population of the communities surrounding the capital city grew by 23.1% while the population of the City of St. John’s increased 7.0%.

1/4 of Memorial University of Newfoundland's students in 2013 were from away (27.7%); normally, MUN is dominated upwards of 85% by Newfoundlanders.

Average weekly earnings in St. John's have increased 57% since January, 2005.

(Would you rather live in Edmonton 1 or Edmonton 2? )

Retail sales have increased 71% over the past 10 years.

Office vacancy rates are way down.

Office market rental rates increased to $31.05 per sq. ft. in 2013, an increase of 67% over the gross rental rate in 2006.

Passenger traffic reached a record high at St. John's International Airport. The number of passenger movements increased 2.7% in 2013 to approximately 1.5 million.

Tourism revenues in St. John’s rose 8.5% to $214.3 million in 2012.

St. John's had the 2nd highest hotel occupancy rate (73.4%) of major Canadian destinations in 2013. The St. John’s rate increased 1.2% points from 2012.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...Mar%202014.pdf

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 11:26 AM

Council Addresses Temporary Foreign Workers Ban

VOCM News
May 21, 2014

Quote:
St. John's city council has voted in favour of a motion to write letters to provincial and federal levels of government in favour of temporary foreign workers. At last night's city council meeting, councillor Tom Hann made a plea on behalf of workers who will have to leave the country when their work permits expire.

Hann says people have come here to build a life for themselves, and now they are under stress because of a federal moratorium on employing temporary foreign workers. He says there is a community of immigrants who contribute to the province and the economy, and some of their work permits will expire soon.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...46315&latest=1

Like it or hate it, there is a need for temporary foreign workers if we want our economy (and province) to grow. Although some workers come and go there are others that choose to stay and build a life here. If we continue to solely rely on natural birth rates here we're in for a world of trouble. NL has the oldest population in Canada. I realize this issue is multidimensional in scope and complexity, but the need is there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's