HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:35 PM
cities|transit|croissants

OK so far we've found 1 measure where LA is not #2: Fortune 500 companies, metro area. I am willing to admit there are niches where it is not. It's also probably not #2 in, say, biotech, or banking. But we're talking overall.

Is anybody going to argue that LA is not a clear #2 overall? If so, is anybody prepared to offer data that shows that?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
Yes, because this place is full of homers who use the broadest/biggest stats to compare favorably with their competition.
CSA is the exact same metric applied to all metros the exact same way. How is it any more "homerish" than any other Census-derived metric?
Quote:
I have never in my life seen CSA used outside of this place and 'city data'.
I have never in my life seen any Census metric commonly used by the public, so what's the point?
Quote:
The BEA does not release CSA GDP rankings for a reason. The BLS does not release employment figures by CSA, they use MSA. The government does not recognize CSA.
Wrong. A simple Google search shows that BLS and other federal agencies frequently do use CSA, and often do not use MSA:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/eci.pdf

And the "government" actually calculates CSA. It's their metric. Whether or not a random govt. agency uses a Census-derived metric has nothing to do with whether or not it's a legitimate metric.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
It's virtually impossible to come up with any set of statistics or methods that doesn't universally result in LA being the overall #2 in any measure. .
This is not true. I already posted a list - Fortune 500 by metro. LA isn't even close to being #2.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:43 PM
The City

I think threads like this bring out the worst in our little foruming community.

I advocate closing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
OK so far we've found 1 measure where LA is not #2: Fortune 500 companies, metro area. I am willing to admit there are niches where it is not. It's also probably not #2 in, say, biotech, or banking. But we're talking overall.

Is anybody going to argue that LA is not a clear #2 overall? If so, is anybody prepared to offer data that shows that?
LA is certainly #2, but back to the question. Why are Chicago and LA never compared? The gap between NY and LA is massive while LA and Chicago are very close population and economy wise. Hell, I hate to say it but one can even say Dallas, if we're using metro area..

When I lived in France, people would compare the #2 and #3, Marseille and Lyon, to one another before they compare them to Paris.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
This is not true. I already posted a list - Fortune 500 by metro. LA isn't even close to being #2.
So you believe the general public would commonly rank/measure/order metros by the number of Fortune 500 companies, and not by things like population or economy? Seriously?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
So you believe the general public would commonly rank/measure/order metros by the number of Fortune 500 companies, and not by things like population or economy? Seriously?
Population and economy was already discussed on page 1. Look at the bottom right hand corner of your screen, click on page 1 and scroll down to the middle and there is a pretty blue graph with GDP figures below MSA population figures. Population and economy shows Chicago is more similar to LA than LA is to NYC, and so fourth.

We settled that one long ago, keep up.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
LA is certainly #2, but back to the question. Why are Chicago and LA never compared?
Trust me, they are. By Chicago (or Illinois) transplants to LA.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:

We settled that one long ago, keep up.
Indeed we did. And, whatever common metric you use, these cities are #1 and #2.

So what's your question?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Who. The. Fuck. Cares...which city has the more billionaires/ millionaires or the most F500 companies...NY and LA are the two largest cities. Period. In Texas, we compare DFW and Houston...because..wait for it.....they're the largest.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:10 PM

In addition to everything else that has been said, they are compared most often because there are so many NY'ers that live in LA and plenty of people from LA that live in NY. There is probably more back and forth between these 2 cities than any other pair in North America.

Also, CSA is def the best way to compare the 2.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions