HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:17 PM
Global Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I have a question about buying Eurail passes. Do I have to buy them before hand, like a plane ticket? Or can I buy them once we're already over there?
Eurail passes can only be bought by non-European residents so you have to buy them before you arrive.

Just check their homepage for details: http://www.eurail.com/

Last edited by R@ptor; Feb 14, 2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:29 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Good to know, thanks.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 1:49 AM
A before E

also keep in mind to do some price comparisons to the eurorail pass to individual tickets. If you are planning on staying several days in each city, then you might find that individual tickets will be cheaper. I am noticing that for the 3 week trip I am planning next september.

Also, I plan on hitting up the Netherlands pretty extensively as well as making it to Antwerp, which sounds like an amazing city.

Cologne is a definite must for you, there is a museum there that is designed by Peter Zumthor, who is one of the greatest architects from Switzerland. It would be a shame to pass up seeing any of his work.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 2:03 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

How much do individual tickets go for, because the Eurail pass seems quite reasonable. We'll be travelling by rail a fair bit, so I think it's probably the way to go.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 10:17 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

^it's often cheaper to fly than go by train in Europe if the distance is above 300-400km ( but the check-in time and pick up bagage time even out what you win in the air )

I can't speak for all nations, but individual tickets are expensive in Scandinavia and Europe..

There should be some sites that lets you search desitinations and gives you times and prices..

Depending on how much you travel it may be cheaper to buy individually, but if it's around the same the Eurail pass will give you much more freedom in case you want to take a day trip or something..

Personally I would recommend renting a car, but your age might be a problem... I doubt any of the large chains rent out to people under 21 and what small ones that do you probable can't cross any borders with it..

Last edited by FREKI; Feb 14, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 1:42 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I think we'll probably take more than 15 trains, which will work out to under $100 US per ride.

Renting a car might be hard since we're only 19. I think in Canada you have to be 25.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 4:17 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Here's the new list, averaging around 4.5 days/city.

London
Manchester
Edinburgh
Dublin
Paris
Marseilles
Brussels
Cologne
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Copenhagen/Malmo
Berlin
Prague
Budapest
Vienna
Venice
Rome
Milan
Zurich/Bern/Geneva (which Swiss city should we go to?)
Munich
Luxembourg

Things might change a bit, but this is generally the plan.

I'm so unbelievably stoked for this, only a month left!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 12:25 AM
low life in a tall place

Looks like a great itinerary to me. All are amazing cities (haven't been to Manchester, Edinburgh and Dublin but I'm sure they're equally amazing).

Luxembourg though (don't get me wrong, it's nice)? Why not a Belgian city (with Eurostar connection) if that's your last stop before London anyway? Antwerp maybe? Not sure if Antwerp has Eurostar connection though, but it's a really short trip between Antwerp and Brussels anyway.

EDIT: Marseille is kind of a weird (as in: long) detour as well between Paris and Brussels by the way!

EDIT2: You could squeeze in Dresden between Berlin and Prague btw!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 12:59 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

We decided to cancel Munich and Luxembourg, and added Monaco, Lyon, and Barcelona. To make up for the trip to Barcelona, we took a couple days off of Hamburg. We still have a few extra days anyway.

Now Marseille isn't so lonely.

We've filled about 84 of 90 days.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 5:38 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
We decided to cancel Munich and Luxembourg, and added Monaco, Lyon, and Barcelona. To make up for the trip to Barcelona, we took a couple days off of Hamburg. We still have a few extra days anyway.

Now Marseille isn't so lonely.

We've filled about 84 of 90 days.
Good move. You will be happy you did this.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 4:28 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Sounds like a great trip - remember to take lots of pics for us who's stuck at work

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 4:47 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'm getting a Nikon D80 before I leave (though I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the pics will be good). But I do plan on taking lots of shots.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 4:07 AM

Good move on adding Barcelona. That was what I was going to suggest. Another tip is to not be so strict with your itinerary. Don't be afraid to spend less days in a city early on in the trip, so you have some room to play later on. You really don't need 4 days for Hamburg (while a great city), Cologne, Monaco, Marseille or Venice.

Have a good trip!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 5:01 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I think Hamburg might be an overnighter between Amsterdam and Copenhagen, maybe two nights. I think right now, we've got at least 6 days to spare, but we may use that time to go hiking in Wales at the end.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 2:28 PM
A before E

you definitely want to look into flying. skyscanner.net is a great site for that. They will show you all the european airlines. Often times flights will be 20-50 dollars cheaper than rail and if it is a long destination, will eliminate a day on the train so you can spend more time in the cities.

Zurich would be a great city to see.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 5:34 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

We already have our Eurail passes. Some of these intercity trips can probably be at night, and most are quite short in duration anyway, Barcelona being the longest by far.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 1:19 AM
mumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
You really don't need 4 days for Hamburg (while a great city), Cologne, Monaco, Marseille or Venice.
Agreed!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Cologne is a definite must for you, there is a museum there that is designed by Peter Zumthor, who is one of the greatest architects from Switzerland. It would be a shame to pass up seeing any of his work.
Cologne is a ugly and boring city! Don't go there! There are only 3 cities in Germany which are not boring and are worth a visit... 1. Berlin, 2. Munich and 3. Hamburg
If you go to visit Brussels you should visit Antwerp also, skip Cologne and go after visiting Antwerp to A'dam and from there to Hamburg!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 6:55 PM

PORTMOUTH ... yes im obsessed i still dont no how to show the photos ... if your going in the british summer it is 1000000000 times better, make sure you go near the spinnaker tower (i dunno how to spell it)

Last edited by californiarox3; Feb 24, 2009 at 6:57 PM. Reason: i forgot something and spelt something wrong

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 8:27 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT42 View Post
Cologne is a ugly and boring city! Don't go there! There are only 3 cities in Germany which are not boring and are worth a visit... 1. Berlin, 2. Munich and 3. Hamburg
If you go to visit Brussels you should visit Antwerp also, skip Cologne and go after visiting Antwerp to A'dam and from there to Hamburg!
I would argue you have to go to Cologne, even if it is just for a day. From the stand point of an architecture student, there is a building there from the Swiss architect Peter Zumthor that you should check out...passing up the chance to see his work would be a huge mistake. He designed the Museum Kolumba, which took over 10 years of conversations with the client to design a building that was right for the client and the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe