HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
No, no one cares except for buildings nerds, I wish we lived in a world where people protest for taller buildings but we don't. Sort of the opposite, unfortunately.
You're not wrong

But the original design for the Golden Gate Bridge was highly criticized until we got the one we see today. So hey maybe if there's enough criticism related will change the design. But the possibility of that happening is in the slimmest of margins.

Guess we could only dream, unfortunately.

EDIT: The website for 400LSD was taken down.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:25 AM

I wont be able to go but I hope all who can show up and give the disgust we are all feeling about this joke.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:19 AM

Looks value engineered. Maybe just a bad rendering but no more terra cotta?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 5:19 AM

If there are any more true civic leaders in this town, it has to be demanded you cant mail in the the design for this gateway parcel. Unfortunately the political state of the city is unimpressive in its grand design ambitions.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:26 PM
BANNED

Despite the height cut, these towers are still tall, and they look amazing. SOM delivered for Chicago.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 1, 2020 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
Do you think there will be enough backlash for a redesign?

But it's unlikely since they HAVE to start construction in May, or they lose their zoning.

I also agree with Zapatan since there's gonna be no hotel in 400LSD, Tribune East could take that market up and get that 125ft lost from 400LSD and turn into a 1547 footer.
Lol, come on, now.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 1:58 PM

Hard to believe this site will end up making virtually no skyline impact...

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:11 PM

A little disappointed in the height cut but I'm really glad they are keeping the same design language. Im especially pumped about the terra cotta assuming they've kept that.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:18 PM

rendering looks like the giant parking podium was removed, also as reported by Crains. still looks a little too delicate in the context of it's neighboring buildings but maybe that's just the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:12 PM

Its time to show up at these meetings and voice our displeasure at a continuous down-heighting at some of our most prominent sights for Supertalls in our city. Reilly seems to have a pre-occupation with height-cuts and eliminating accessories like hotels etc. I can see some adjustments and limitations in areas outside the core city, but to go from a site once approved for a Mega-Tall..( 2000 ft.) to this is very disappointing.We are at the point now that whenever you hear a great proposal for downtown that the excitement is greatly tempered, waiting for the other foot, or in this case other feet to drop. Again what time, and date is the meeting on 400 N Lakeshore drive.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:29 PM
Urbane observer

Damn developers! Wanting to make their projects profitable rather than obsessing over height . . .

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:35 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Damn developers! Wanting to make their projects profitable rather than obsessing over height . . .
I'm under the impression that the height cuts are a result of alderman intervention on behalf of NIMBY's and not because of an initial decision by the developers to increase ROI by shortening the buildings. Did Related say they cut the building heights to become more cost oriented?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:37 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
Its time to show up at these meetings and voice our displeasure at a continuous down-heighting at some of our most prominent sights for Supertalls in our city. Reilly seems to have a pre-occupation with height-cuts and eliminating accessories like hotels etc. I can see some adjustments and limitations in areas outside the core city, but to go from a site once approved for a Mega-Tall..( 2000 ft.) to this is very disappointing.We are at the point now that whenever you hear a great proposal for downtown that the excitement is greatly tempered, waiting for the other foot, or in this case other feet to drop. Again what time, and date is the meeting on 400 N Lakeshore drive.
I agree. I think the city is only really hearing one side of the story with NIMBYs being very vocal. I have been to a few of these things but admittedly I don't speak up because I'm not from these areas and I don't feel confident to voice my opinions, but I might have to just throw something in there about the city is being held back when we need all of the development and growth we can get at this time.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:45 PM
Urbane observer

Building height was not one of the concerns Ald. Reilly expressed.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:58 PM

IMO this design is incompatible with these drastically reduced heights. To justify retaining this design, the two buildings should be consolidated into a 1200 - 1400 footer, so that the combined building woud still feel imposing. But now they look like midgets.

That being said, it's also possible that I am just too used to the early renderings. At any rate, the height cut is more than I expected.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:10 PM
TL;DR

Well this is disappointing. Admittedly Reilly did not specifically argue with Related on building height, but the general tone of the townhouse NIMBYs has always been that they want less traffic down their quaint little private lane (North Water St), the only way to reduce traffic is to make the project smaller. I guess it's good they didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater and make something more wide and squat.

I know this was industrial wasteland in the early 90s, but still seems like a VERY short-sighted decision to put townhouses here at the river mouth of a great world city.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:33 PM
Urbane observer

The number of units increased by 250.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:44 PM

Based on my username, I bet you can guess how I feel about this.

But as a Cubs fan, I am an eternal optimist. The alderman sunk this, not Related and not SOM. They did their best. This will still look very nice and cover up an embarrassment that has been haunting the lakefront for more than a decade. Build it, build it right away. Then build the Tribune Tower addition at 1400+ ft so we can get that sweet sweet shot of 400 N LSD framing Tribune Tower.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:59 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Quote:
Building height was not one of the concerns Ald. Reilly expressed.
I'm not sure what you're driving for here. Clearly alderman intervention on behalf of NIMBY's has drastically altered the final design outcome. With the removal of the parking podium and hotel facet, the project was to be shortened to accommodate for those changes.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 5:29 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
The floors may be smaller, the original towers had really high ceiling heights. I could be wrong but it looks that way from the rendering.

Everything else aside, this should be starting soon I assume?

Quote:
Despite the height cut, these towers are still tall, and they look amazing. SOM delivered for Chicago.
If this weren't the Spire site I would have said the same thing, certainly better than nothing obviously but what a missed opportunity, and that's the understatement of the century.

Chicago is one of the best skylines in the world, nothing under ~1100 feet is that tall for such a city.

In the long run my main concern is just how much land Related owns in Chicago (don't they own the whole 78 site?). I don't trust them to build anything good ever, they seem committed to perpetual lameness. How many sites remain in the city for a building like this? Probably not too many.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction