HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I didn't mean to stray off topic but it seems like Winnipeg has a funny way of repeating its mistakes. I'm not dwelling on anything because I moved from that city but to let stuff like that slide by unnoticed is not okay.

I'll get us back on topic: the Funnelators, although I really like the idea, distracts us from the real issues of downtown. I feel that it just doesn't suit Winnipeg and that it will be another project that doesn't follow-through. Only time will tell.
Initial tests dealing with the devices will be completed this year and new additions should be added to the SHED district within the year. Hoping for 4-5 new additional locations announced soon, I need a distraction.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:12 PM

I dig it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:31 PM

I like the funnelators. I think in time Winnipegers will come to like them as well. It will be a unique 'signature' of your downtown. It's the sort of thing that, in the future, people will see a picture and immediately say "Hey, that's Winnipeg, I recognize those funnelators!". They may be polarizing but that is what makes things great. Not everyone liked the Eiffel Tower at first either.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:56 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It will take more than basic cityscaping (of which, should have been done YEARS ago) to revitalize the downtown area. Regardless Precinct K seems like it's pulling through anyways so once again downtown Winnipeg will be ignored...again.
Agreed. I've always hated that some people believe painting the streetlamps and a few signs would develop a neighbourhood concept.

They look pretty cool. Can someone illuminate me on the meaning behind them? Any specific Winnipeg story or symbolism in them?

For some reason I look at them and think Regina should have built a few as part of the public art program celebrating remembering the leveling of Regina from the tornado.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Agreed. I've always hated that some people believe painting the streetlamps and a few signs would develop a neighbourhood concept.

They look pretty cool. Can someone illuminate me on the meaning behind them? Any specific Winnipeg story or symbolism in them?

For some reason I look at them and think Regina should have built a few as part of the public art program celebrating remembering the leveling of Regina from the tornado.
Funny, I thought the same thing when I first heard about your funnelators. They would have been a perfect commemorative for the Regina tornado of 1912. What installations we did get were lame and forgettable. Don't ask what they were as I have already forgotten them! LOL

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:

It's great to here some positives from our neighbors to the west. If you guys are liking it I'll take that as a good sign
________

Home..I really don't think that any one is going to say these additions are going to change the fabric and problems that face Winnipeg's core,(or other cities:fill in blank_____), downtown areas, but we're heading back to much deeper issues again, and discussions reg: Winnipegs socio-economic issues I'll leave to others to discuss.

I personally like the concept, idea and what it will add to this particular area.

The SHED district "is" a plan for this particular neigborhood. We'll see how it plays out in the long term.

Meaning behind the illuminated structures? Who knows" Snow Cones", in my opinion. At least it's not a planter and a blue street light.

The rest of the post is probably something that has a meaning to most Regina residents, I know nothing about the topic so will leave it to residents of the city..

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:38 PM
arf

^Cool. I've just seen in my city where they put up new streetlights and some red signs and declared it Chinatown and with no development or at least development minded policy within the area the area would stagnate further. Edmonton had the same issues on a couple of areas when I lived here and it's annoyed me ever since.

This was Regina's Tornado Legacy project. Some of the art on the sides of buildings turned out really well, but the sculptures were a little disappointing to me. The funnelators just seem such an obvious thing to me now.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
^Cool. I've just seen in my city where they put up new streetlights and some red signs and declared it Chinatown and with no development or at least development minded policy within the area the area would stagnate further. Edmonton had the same issues on a couple of areas when I lived here and it's annoyed me ever since.

This was Regina's Tornado Legacy project. Some of the art on the sides of buildings turned out really well, but the sculptures were a little disappointing to me. The funnelators just seem such an obvious thing to me now.
Yes, there has to be plans for an area as you mentioned other than pretty light fixtures, signs or benches as this would not solve the underlying issues of the area alone.A plan is needed.
I can understand the examples you've given as this seldom works by it self and relate to the issues you've mentioned, I'm sometimes frustrated my self with the lack of speed or the political will in dealing with underlying issues and poor planning in my own back yard.

Thanks for the link, you provided, it gives me an understanding of what was done and how you and other posters may feel about it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:14 PM
arf

When the weather gets better (if) I might try to wander the core and get some pictures of the actuals. The site didn't really do a good job of showing the finished.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
When the weather gets better (if) I might try to wander the core and get some pictures of the actuals. The site didn't really do a good job of showing the finished.
That would be great. Hoping to see some pictures when you have the time.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 9:49 PM

Funkelators and their effect on the Winnipeg's downtown and core area. Are they worth the investment?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Funkelators and their effect on the Winnipeg's downtown and core area. Are they worth the investment?
No

They cost $1M each and accomplish nothing.

That money should have gone to Waterfront/Exchange Area for a grocery store.

All about ego for CV. CV is all about the Chipmans now.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
No

They cost $1M each and accomplish nothing.

That money should have gone to Waterfront/Exchange Area for a grocery store.

All about ego for CV. CV is all about the Chipmans now.
They're a public art instalation. What they accomplish is astethic. Some people argue public parks accomplish nothing.

Not sure the city would be better off by not funding public art instalations or public parks or anything else of the like that could be argued accomplish nothing, for the sake of subsidizing private grocers.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They're a public art instalation. What they accomplish is astethic. Some people argue public parks accomplish nothing.
So you are comparing these idiotic things to a public park?

Parks increase quality of life. Funnelators __________________ .

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

I'm comparing all public art installations to public parks. Not just this particular one.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

Keep firefighters from losing their jobs!
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/flames-sh...rary-1.1943174

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 9:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
Keep firefighters from losing their jobs!
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/flames-sh...rary-1.1943174
Yes they provide employment opportunities in emergency response!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:30 PM

The LCD screed has been removed, obviously to be repaired and also studied for the future ones to be installed, and just the metal shell is there. The Hargrave/Graham Streetscaping is moving quickly so hopefully they get this sorted out quickly

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:53 PM

^ Hope it is remedied in short order. I have no problem with thier addition and what they add to the SHED district.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Not commenting on whether or not they are good value, I happen to like them. I find that Winnipeg's downtown is too bland. I like the animation and light activity it creates. I think Winnipeg needs more public art and sculptures. I have traveled to many of North America's major cities and am always amazed at the amount of public art they have and lack, in comparison that we have.

I also wish our downtown had more vegetation/landscaping. I know our winters and road salt are difficult to overcome but it would be nice to try and implement more of it. I realize that Victoria and Vancouver are horrible comparisons to Winnipeg because of climate, but damn the landscaping in those downtown's are beautiful.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan