HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:06 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Zermatt, Switzerland

Zermatt is a wonderful car-free base to explore the Matterhorn. Expensive and glitzy, everyone is at the mercy of the weather gods.

Gornergrat Bahn opened in 1898 as the world's first electric cog railway. It rises from just across the main railway station in Zermatt to the viewing platform at 3089m for a beautiful view of the Matterhorn.

Webcams at the station and online show whether the top is sufficiently clear to make the trip worthwhile. There is no point paying all that money to be hidden inside a cloud.

Mountain weather is unpredictable, and the skies magically cleared out at the top. Snow-capped mountains everywhere, walk uphill and up the stairs a bit for the viewing platform where you are on top of the world.

More in the next part or visit my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/zermatt.htm

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:00 PM
Baltimore

Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:49 PM

Certainly a different look up on the glacier in springtime.

Before opening the thread, I was wondering if you'd just been. There's been so much snow in that part of the Alps that people couldn't get out of Zermatt for a few days (except by helicopter).

If you do ski, and want to visit Zermatt without paying for its crazy high season hotel prices, you can ski across from Cervinia in Italy. That's not a pretty town by any means (it's a purpose-built postwar resort), but the food on the mountain is good, and the skiing, and it's linked with Zermatt on the other side of the Matterhorn.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 4:11 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Certainly a different look up on the glacier in springtime.

Before opening the thread, I was wondering if you'd just been. There's been so much snow in that part of the Alps that people couldn't get out of Zermatt for a few days (except by helicopter).

If you do ski, and want to visit Zermatt without paying for its crazy high season hotel prices, you can ski across from Cervinia in Italy. That's not a pretty town by any means (it's a purpose-built postwar resort), but the food on the mountain is good, and the skiing, and it's linked with Zermatt on the other side of the Matterhorn.
I went last September. I suppose it wasn't peak season then since I found a perfectly acceptable cheap hotel room in town, but at least the hikes were snow-free although the mountaintops were not. Absolutely picturesque! I probably won't be able to afford skiing there though!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:53 PM
Community Guy

Don't get snowed in!

Loved Zermatt when I went way back in 1995. Classic of classic towns.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:04 PM

My ancestral home (well, Elm is, but close enough). I got to visit a few years ago and pictures don't do it justice. Although you have some very nice shots here.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:06 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

great to see in the fall season. i was fascinated with early mountain climbing history for awhile, both for the mountaineering aspect and stories and also that it was the beginning of industrial era lesiure time travel, so i read everything i could find. of course zermatt is very prominant in all that.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 9:16 PM
Hong Kong

Going up the mountains for a view can be an expensive outing in glitzy Zermatt. For the budget traveller, an affordable yet scenic option is to take the underground funicular to Sunnegga, followed by a cable car to Blauherd.

The 5-Seenweg is a fairly easy walk from Blauherd passing 5 lakes with views of the Matterhorn along the way. With a suggested time of 2.5 hours over 9 km, it is a great half-day activity to enjoy the area's wonderful scenery at an affordable price.

The first lake is Stellisee, which is a good place for a break and to spot the Matterhorn.

The track gently rolls downhill towards the next few lakes.

Grindjisee was not calm enough to reflect the Matterhorn today, but you can still enjoy a picnic here.

Grunsee is located at 2300m and looks green due to water from springs in the area. Red flowers covered the landscape in the cool autumn air.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 3:02 AM
Hong Kong

After Grunsee, the track got a bit more complicated with several forks and a downhill stretch through the forest. Construction was happening noisily in the valley below.

Moosjisee lies at 2140m and looks milky due to its glacial feed. After this lake, it is a strenuous climb to the finish.

After the long ascent, the final lake, Leisee, came into view.

After all that walking, hop onto the funicular for the final ascent back to Blauherd station.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:09 AM
Hong Kong

The Matterhorn Museum celebrates the region's mountaineering history, focusing on a tragic story from 1865 when a broken rope took the lives of 4 climbers. Downstairs, old buildings from the town are arranged experience local life in a protected setting. Admission is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos