HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
Me?!?

Great thread, PA Pride! I have many fond memories of Pittsburgh, and Oakland is one of my favorite parts of the city. One would never realize just how much great architecture there is at street level until you are on foot and exploring every nook and cranny. It's been quite a while since I have been to PGH and I still have many friends there, so I think I am due for a trip soon...

The Cathedral of Learning is fantastic and while I was at an event there many years ago, I went to one of the top floors to explore it a little more. I went into the bathroom and they had the window open, so I stuck my head out and looked straight down...it was incredible! But of course I did not have my camera with me, and this was long before the days of smart phones and when I had a camera on me at all times.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 2:00 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Great thread, PA Pride! I have many fond memories of Pittsburgh, and Oakland is one of my favorite parts of the city. One would never realize just how much great architecture there is at street level until you are on foot and exploring every nook and cranny. It's been quite a while since I have been to PGH and I still have many friends there, so I think I am due for a trip soon...

The Cathedral of Learning is fantastic and while I was at an event there many years ago, I went to one of the top floors to explore it a little more. I went into the bathroom and they had the window open, so I stuck my head out and looked straight down...it was incredible! But of course I did not have my camera with me, and this was long before the days of smart phones and when I had a camera on me at all times.
Thanks! I agree, there is so much in a small area, you have to see it on foot. We were pretty low on time too, so I didn't go to a lot of spots that I would've liked to.
Glad you didn't fall out of the bathroom.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 8:59 PM
Red October standing by

awesome. great collection of architectural diversity and density shots. makes me want to visit.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:48 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
awesome. great collection of architectural diversity and density shots. makes me want to visit.

-
Thanks Lsyd. Have you been here before? We have a great collection of architecture with examples from nearly every time frame from the late 1700's on.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 8:12 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Epic. God, how I miss Oakland and my days attending Pitt. That fancy red "fixture" thingy, it's called a standpipe connection. It's for fire trucks to connect to the buildings water supply in case of, well... a fire. Loved the shots of StatMedevac flying in, I wonder if my friend Rob was on board. The Cathedral of Learning looks so grande since her acid bath a couple years ago. Your photograph of the quadrangle framing one of the Litchfield Towers is my favorite.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 11:42 PM
Just win, Billikens.

How is this not the fastest-growing city in the country? It looks amazing.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 1:38 AM
Ms AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Oakland is pure sex. Great shots Austin...thanks for posting!

As for the soda vs. pop thing. I grew up in NE Ohio, and I stopped saying "pop" and switched to "soda" after my move to Pittsburgh. I think PGH is sort of on a dividing line between the two. It has to be... not sure how else I would have picked it up. None of my friends say pop either?
Use of the word soda has grown very common in Pittsburgh. I used to never hear it called soda, now I hear it all the time.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 6:15 PM

Oh well, you have nice shots! I see how modern is Pittsburgh now. Marvelous structures are surely to be cherished! Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:42 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
I posted this thread that included this photo and days later, on the other side of Pennsylvania Ryan Dunn was killed in this very car a Porshe 911 GT3.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:12 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

At least it wasn't that EXACT car, though!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:00 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
At least it wasn't that EXACT car, though!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Well, right. I didn't mean THAT car.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 1:48 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I loved making this thread... I probably only photographed like 50% of the SIGNIFICANT buildings alone amazingly enough. I should do a part II and get another few dozen amazing structures that I missed. Specifically in North Oakland and South Oakland, and Schenley Farms too for the mansion fans.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 8:15 PM

This is probably my favorite Pittsburgh thread of all time, part two would be incredible!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:28 PM

Please more Pittsburgh pictures! How about a Bloomfield and Lawrenceville one too?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos