HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:10 AM

So the "Six Star Hotel" is labeled "4 Manhattan West" and sits on the north side of the complex.

No specific details yet regarding this building; it hasn't been included in any of these massing models.

I'm guessing the residential tower and the hotel tower will actually be the first two to rise, before the two office towers.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I know some may disagree, but to me this whole development just reflects a discordant vision. None of the buildings seem to work together.
I just see the WTC when I look at that. The residential hopefully isn't fully realized in that render.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
So the "Six Star Hotel" is labeled "4 Manhattan West" and sits on the north side of the complex.

No specific details yet regarding this building; it hasn't been included in any of these massing models.

I'm guessing the residential tower and the hotel tower will actually be the first two to rise, before the two office towers.
I don't think the hotel will be a significant building. The plan is that the residential will rise, the office components won't rise until there are tenants.

REX went through the process of the renewal here...
http://rex-ny.com/work/five-manhattan-west/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:25 AM

I wonder how long it will take to fully reclad that building since they predict completion in 2 years..

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't think the hotel will be a significant building. The plan is that the residential will rise, the office components won't rise until there are tenants.
The hotel building will almost certainly be very tall, because it sits on a tiny footprint, and its views will be completely blocked from both the east and west sides, so will need to go tall for views.

But with the tiny footprint, the hotel square footage probably won't be significant compared to the other buildings. I am guessing very slim and soaring.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The hotel building will almost certainly be very tall, because it sits on a tiny footprint, and its views will be completely blocked from both the east and west sides, so will need to go tall for views.

But with the tiny footprint, the hotel square footage probably won't be significant compared to the other buildings. I am guessing very slim and soaring.

I don't think it will be.

Quote:
The five-acre Manhattan West campus will also include two new premium-grade office towers, a luxury residential tower, retail and a two-acre park. Located steps away from the High Line, it also will feature a boutique six-star hotel
Sounds like it will be a high end, yet small hotel.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:58 AM

Quote:
I don't think it will be.

Sounds like it will be a high end, yet small hotel.
I don't read "boutique six star hotel" as a small hotel. I just read it as extremely high end and exclusive, and I'm betting very tall, given the location and air rights. Relative size and relative height are different things entirely.

And I can't think of any case where someone recently built a new construction high-end hotel in Manhattan, and didn't build as tall as possible. As with residential, hotel rates are heavily dependent on views, of which there are none on this site unless you build tall and skinny.

Anyways, I'm sure will find out more soon. Excepting the office conversion, we don't really know what these buildings will look like, given that these are tenant-driven towers and the renderings are really rough.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I don't read "boutique six star hotel" as a small hotel. I just read it as extremely high end and exclusive, and I'm betting very tall, given the location and air rights. Relative size and relative height are different things entirely.
Then look at it this way, basically all of the development will be taken up by the office, residential, and retail space. Brookfield could have put the hotel and residential space in one tower, creating a taller building with better views, but they aren't looking to do that.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/10/its-bea...eauty-on-33rd/

It’s beast to beauty on 33rd

By Steve Cuozzo
February 10, 2014

Quote:
Brookfield Office Properties plans to spend $200 million to turn Manhattan’s largest office-building beast into a beauty — which is good news not only for fortress-like 450 W. 33rd St., but for Brookfield’s Manhattan West, its adjacent 5-development site.

In fact, 450 W. 33rd St., to be reclad in glass by architect Joshua Prince-Ramus of hot firm REX, will be so “integrated” into the site that it will be renamed Five Manhattan West and connected with the rest of it by a park to be built over a Lincoln Tunnel entrance.

Despite its intimidating, severely slanted, precast concrete facade, the 1.8 million square-foot, 1969-vintage, 16-story tower between Tenth and Dyer avenues and 31st to 33rd streets is surprisingly functional, thanks to 100,000 square-foot floor plates, high ceilings and modern electronic systems.

But the neo-Brutalist hulk remains an eyesore despite cosmetic work in 2003. Asked if that work by a previous owner, including armor-like metal plates, made it slightly less ugly, Brookfield CEO Dennis Friedrich laughed, “That’s being generous. Our architects think they made it uglier.”

It wasn’t the aesthetic backdrop Brookfield wanted for the $4.5 billion Manhattan West, which will have a total 7 million square feet of office, residential and retail space, plus public green space immediately east of 450 W. 33rd.

To establish a street-level environment for Manhattan West, Brookfield is building a 120,000 square-foot deck above the Amtrak rail yard between Ninth and Dyer avenues and between West 31st and 33d streets. The new towers will rise from bedrock at the track level and be thrust through holes in the platform.

The epic redesign of 450 W. 33rd might dwarf even the travertine-to-glass recladding of the former Verizon tower at 1095 Sixth Ave. It will replace the concrete with a pleated glasscurtain wall, creating floor-to-ceiling windows.

The project also includes a redesigned lobby, elevator, enhanced systems and new retail storefronts — all to be completed between spring 2014 and summer 2016.

Friedrich said 450 W. 33rd is about 75 percent leased. Asking rents are in the $60s to $70s per square foot range, Friedrich said. The building has an odd history, having been used at first as a warehouse for the EJ Korvette department-store chain. More recent previous tenants included the Sky Rink ice-skating facility and the Daily News.

The largest current tenants are the Associated Press and Coach Inc.

But Coach will leave behind about 330,000 square feet two years from now when it moves to Related’s Hudson Yards between 10th and 12th avenues just west of Brookfield’s site.

Cushman & Wakefield’s Bruce Mosler and Josh Kuriloff are the exclusive leasing agents for 450 W. 33rd and for Manhattan West’s SOM-designed office towers.

Although $200 million sounds like enough for an entire new midsize building, Friedrich says it works out to a modest $120 per square foot.

Publicly traded Brookfield’s cost basis for the tower — taking into account acquisition, accumulated ownership and the renovation — is around $400 a square foot, “half of what its replacement cost would be.”

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Some things to keep in mind, I like the way the building will echo the Coach tower across the street.
However, it won't look as large and bulky standing across the street from the monster base of Related's towers.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:14 PM

wow!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
This looks excellent, especially with the metal tiles on the solid part of the facade. This building really needs this. I've always loved the shape and hated the materials.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 11:47 PM

I just realized that 450 W 33rd is where I used to play ice hockey in Sky Rink on the 16th floor. Amazing to think that this building will be extensively renovated and right between the huge developments of Hudson Yards and Manhattan West.

We used to pull up to the building at 3 AM to play. The atmosphere was seedy and deserted. What a change the entire area will undergo.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:34 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.rew-online.com/2014/02/11/21699/

Brookfield shines rough diamond

February 11, 2014
By Sarah Trefethen

Quote:
Brookfield Office Properties is no blushing bride, but the developer’s plans for the West Side do include something old and something new.

The company has started work on the platform that will span the Hudson Rail Yards at Ninth Avenue and support the brand-new, master-planned development of Manhattan West.

But on Monday it also unveiled a planned $200 million facelift for 450 West 33rd Street, to be redesigned 5 Manhattan West. Brookfield bought the former warehouse building, which sits between the Manhattan West site and Related’s Hudson Yards development, in 2011.

“We felt we saw an opportunity, an asset that was a bit of a diamond in the rough in an area that was just starting to really take hold in terms of new development,” Dennis Friedrich, CEO of Brookfield, told reporters at a press briefing Monday.

The building, once home of the New York Daily News and still the host to the expansive newsroom of the Associate Press, is just one of eight buildings in the city where tenants can find floorplates of over 100,000 s/f, by Brookfield’s count.

The renovation of the 1.8 million s/f building was designed by Joshua Prince-Ramus of REX and includes an innovative exterior recladding, as well as a bigger lobby and the more pedestrian elevator and HVAC upgrades.

The floor-to ceiling windows on each floor will slope out from the top and bottom, creating glass ridges that get small the higher up you look on the pyramid-like building. “When you stand inside this building and look out, it is going to be a very exciting experience,” Prince-Ramus said.

Brookfiled will conduct the renovations with tenants in place, and the executives seem confident they have a plan to keep everyone happy and warm inside the building while removing the exterior walls. In addition to the AP, the building houses Coach, whose employees won’t get to enjoy the benefits of living through this renovation for long but will, as consolation, be moving into their new digs next door in the Related complex.

Currently there is about 350,000 s/f available in the building, with another approximately 300,000 s/f becoming available in 2017, according to Jerry Larkin, Brookfield’s SVP of leasing. A team led by Bruce Mosler and Josh Kuriloff of Cushman & Wakefield is handling office leasing at Manhattan West, including 450 West 33rd Street. Asking rent is in the $60s and $70s psf.

So far the building has seen interest from the traditional media and fashion tenants as well as information technology firms. The industry famed for its ping pong tables sees a lot of potential in the huge floor plates and 14-27 foot ceilings, according to Larkin, who said he’s heard prospective users talk about rock climbing walls, a skateboard half pipe and a running track.

The renovation of 450 West 33rd street will start in the spring and is scheduled to wrap up in the Summer of 2016. Construction of the platform that will support the new buildings of Manhattan West started last week and is expected to be finished later this year.

All that’s missing is something borrowed and something blue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:16 AM
New Yorker for life

They have at least updated the website somewhat. No real information on the towers.

http://www.manhattanwestnyc.com/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:39 AM

Well at least the plaza looks pretty good.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 11:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I could do without those trees though. They just seem in the way.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
No snow either, so big improvement over the current reality.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:35 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

That last render is good at showing how the plaza slopes up to the level of the Highline.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:05 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Posted February 13th, 2014...

©BRANDEN KLAYKO / AN

©BRANDEN KLAYKO / AN

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 12:49 PM

The second deck span has been placed above the tracks! 14 more to go?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive