HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:23 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Actually the most common method of paying property taxes is contributing to an escrow account as part of your house payment, which is exactly what you describe. If you do pay by lump sum, by the way, it's twice a year, at least it is in Maricopa County.
Yeah I would imagine like half of all homeowners would have to declare bankruptcy within a year if they had to pay their property taxes in a lump sum.

Most people don't have that kind of cash on hand, I mean Arizona is cheap but can you imagine in Illinois where taxes are like 10-20 grand a year for half a million dollar homes?? It would never work.

Also taxation is theft, but that's none of my business *sips tea*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:25 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Dude, why are you (and everyone) trying to convince anyone anything? I thought the purpose of this forum was to share information regarding future, on-going, and past skyrise developments. That's literally it.


And for the record... we all know not every proposed development will get built. But when we go through a period with a TON of news... this forum is going to get excited. Kinda the whole point, is it not?


I guess I prefer "this happened" to "this might potentially happen". Happiness over what's happening around you trumps blind optimism that something good might happen.

Also I just like dialogue and discussion about real estate and investment, if we aren't allowed to have discussion and only allowed to post when there's a new building being planned let me know and I'll stop talking.
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:55 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yeah I would imagine like half of all homeowners would have to declare bankruptcy within a year if they had to pay their property taxes in a lump sum.

Most people don't have that kind of cash on hand, I mean Arizona is cheap but can you imagine in Illinois where taxes are like 10-20 grand a year for half a million dollar homes?? It would never work.

Also taxation is theft, but that's none of my business *sips tea*
Maybe I mis-quoted the property taxes. Yes, you can include it with mortgage payment. But I am basing all this on Ohio homes. This goes to show how expensive home buying is here on Phoenix. 10-20 grand for property taxes??? At one time I did own 3 homes in Ohio about 10 years ago and I rented those out. My property taxes were 1100 to 1300 each. My parents home in Ohio (which they sold 6 months ago) was $5400 per year, but that was for a $250 home which by Ohio standard is expensive. There new home is now only $1400 per year in South Carolina for $190,000 home.

Most people pay those property taxes at the end of the year in Ohio which is why I said "lump sum".. Guess it's just different than here.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 7:16 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Maybe I mis-quoted the property taxes. Yes, you can include it with mortgage payment. But I am basing all this on Ohio homes. This goes to show how expensive home buying is here on Phoenix. 10-20 grand for property taxes??? At one time I did own 3 homes in Ohio about 10 years ago and I rented those out. My property taxes were 1100 to 1300 each. My parents home in Ohio (which they sold 6 months ago) was $5400 per year, but that was for a $250 home which by Ohio standard is expensive. There new home is now only $1400 per year in South Carolina for $190,000 home.

Most people pay those property taxes at the end of the year in Ohio which is why I said "lump sum".. Guess it's just different than here.
No the taxes in AZ are more like ohio, maybe a little more. My family in Illinois, the live in Kane County about an hours drive from Chicago and they pay 13 grand in taxes for a house that barely cracks 500K

They are literally paying the country rent for their house.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 8:19 PM
ASUSunDevil ASUSunDevil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Dude, why are you (and everyone) trying to convince anyone anything? I thought the purpose of this forum was to share information regarding future, on-going, and past skyrise developments. That's literally it.
I enjoy hearing what everyone has to say regarding all facets of RE. There's passion and knowledge on this board that you can't find elsewhere.

No, you can't just convince people how to think (politics, eh?). IMO Biggus thinks like a real estate investor (for obvious reason), but fails to put himself in the position of someone that wants to live in a hip, urban setting without the commitment of home ownership. I'm in my 30's, and have a bunch of friends that can afford to buy homes, but are instead choosing to rent upscale apartments. If the new age to settle down with a family and buy a home was 25-30, I'd say it's now 35-40.

The people buying homes in Maricopa (the city) in 2005 were as generally unqualified as it gets. "Drive-til-you-qualify behavior" is a great line and was the ultimate indicator of the crash. I would say that what's happening now is the exact opposite.

I, personally, am ecstatic about the direction that Phoenix is headed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 8:31 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,903
I honestly wasn't trying to argue that Biggus was wrong in regards to home buying. I would actually like to buy a home if home prices to me in Phoenix were cheaper. But that is just not an option for me as for the last 40 years of my life, I am used to sub 100 thousand dollar homes. I was just trying to make an argument of why I think more people are deciding to rent now versus buying a house in today's market.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:26 PM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is offline
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
No, you can't just convince people how to think (politics, eh?). IMO Biggus thinks like a real estate investor (for obvious reason), but fails to put himself in the position of someone that wants to live in a hip, urban setting without the commitment of home ownership. I'm in my 30's, and have a bunch of friends that can afford to buy homes, but are instead choosing to rent upscale apartments. If the new age to settle down with a family and buy a home was 25-30, I'd say it's now 35-40.
You're right about the market today, biggus is right about the market in a year.

There's way too much longitudinal perspective missing in this discussion. I think too many people here are taking biggus's pessimism too hard, when everyone should focus on enjoying this boom while it lasts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:27 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,637
Some food for thought for you guys:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/rea...nnials-n768196

also, asusundevil, you don't have to be married and settled down to be fiscally responsible.
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Oct 19, 2017 at 9:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:19 AM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,903
All the palm trees on the SE corner, where the residential tower is supposed to go, are tagged and numbered. I'm assuming for removal? Does anyone know how the trees will be removed? Will they try to save them for replantation elsewhere or will they be cut down?
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:15 AM
nickw252 nickw252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Mesa
Posts: 1,594
Any building permits? Anyone know what the project number is?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:19 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Any building permits? Anyone know what the project number is?
Is it maybe the same as the renovations? Or maybe its like Colliers they don't need to get any approval because the city council already green lit the plans years and years ago?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:38 PM
gymratmanaz gymratmanaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,679
And again how many stories? 31? Going to be an amazing skyline growth with all the others going up!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:27 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
And again how many stories? 31? Going to be an amazing skyline growth with all the others going up!!!!!!
yeah ~30 ish Plus 30 (and 25 and 20) for the link and 32 for Barrister and 20 for Stewart and 20 for Derby and 17 for Central park east and 17 for block 23 and potentially ~20-25 for Colliers.

The skyline is basically doubling and we have lots of low rise/mid rise infill all over downtown
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:30 PM
ASU Diablo ASU Diablo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
yeah ~30 ish Plus 30 (and 25 and 20) for the link and 32 for Barrister and 20 for Stewart and 20 for Derby and 17 for Central park east and 17 for block 23 and potentially ~20-25 for Colliers.

The skyline is basically doubling and we have lots of low rise/mid rise infill all over downtown
Can't wait! I thought CPE residential tower was closer to 20-21 stories? I may be mistaken
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:58 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Can't wait! I thought CPE residential tower was closer to 20-21 stories? I may be mistaken
That is correct. It should be around 245' to 250'
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:04 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Is it maybe the same as the renovations? Or maybe its like Colliers they don't need to get any approval because the city council already green lit the plans years and years ago?
I don't think they would be removing these palms as part of the renovations on the SE corner as there is nothing there but grass and are located away from the shops. They are even tagged/marked along the sidewalks. Also, the palms more in the center of garden do not have tags which is where a lot of the renovation work is going on.

With the palms getting tagged a week after they were doing soil sampling and marking, I think we are closer to seeing some plans or movement. Of course, this is all speculation. But it's very similar to what was happening with Circles before anything was announced. Here's to hoping!
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:35 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I don't think they would be removing these palms as part of the renovations on the SE corner as there is nothing there but grass and are located away from the shops. They are even tagged/marked along the sidewalks. Also, the palms more in the center of garden do not have tags which is where a lot of the renovation work is going on.

With the palms getting tagged a week after they were doing soil sampling and marking, I think we are closer to seeing some plans or movement. Of course, this is all speculation. But it's very similar to what was happening with Circles before anything was announced. Here's to hoping!
No I mean for the project number not for it being a literal part of renovation.

But I think you have just seen a recent cascade because all of these developers are in competition with each other for future tenants and sale so once a few big projects got going the rest that have the means are jumping into the fray.

Nobody wants to be caught holding the bag in 2020 when all of these buildings are done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 10:03 PM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is offline
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,354
The tower was just barely announced in May.

Any work you see on this before next summer is incidental. Potentially slowing things down further is that the developer has no high-rise experience and Bruder has yet to build one himself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 10:11 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
No I mean for the project number not for it being a literal part of renovation.
Lol, my bad!
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 10:26 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The tower was just barely announced in May.

Any work you see on this before next summer is incidental. Potentially slowing things down further is that the developer has no high-rise experience and Bruder has yet to build one himself.
I never meant to imply construction had commenced. But, the tower for the Link was barely announced in April and look where it's at. This could still be site prep or maybe something else.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:02 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.