HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 6:48 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

{SA} 22 Year Old Student Runs for Mayor

Quote:
UTSA student, George Abuzeid, runs for Mayor of Fair Oaks Ranch

By: Priyanka Bhandari
Issue date: 4/22/08 Section: News

Ever wonder what you'll be doing after graduation?

Maybe sending out a few resumes; meeting some prospective employers; or running for mayor? So the latter sounds a bit out of the ordinary, but not for UTSA student George Abuzeid, who is working toward becoming the mayor of his hometown: Fair Oaks Ranch.

As the weekend approaches, most of us are not fortunate enough to witness the sunrise, mainly because we are too busy sleeping in. Political science major Abuzeid, however, is up early every morning, laden with brochures and friendly letters, ready to meet the residents of Fair Oaks Ranch and spread his message.

"It's the war on the ground," Abuzeid said. "I'm going door-to-door. My weekends are spent going to every house handing out fliers."
Abuzeid decided he wanted to run for mayor of Fair Oaks Ranch after the former mayor, who remained in office for 20 years, passed away last year. Abuzeid also noticed the natural beauty Fair Oaks Ranch is known for was being compromised.

"I've been living in Fair Oaks for about 10 years, and I don't like what's happening to it," Abuzeid said. "(People move to Fair Oaks Ranch) for the beautiful hill country. They don't care about gas stations and McDonald's. I'm not against development, but I'm running for mayor because I want to keep the Hill Country in Fair Oaks Ranch."

In addition to keeping the Hill Country in Fair Oaks Ranch, Abuzeid has several other causes for his campaign, including improving the city's emergency services, water resource management and an enhanced budget plan. Abuzeid said although many residents have trouble supporting such a young candidate, after he informs them of the issues he feels must be addressed, they tend to take a different stance.

Abuzeid's plans seem to meet the safety needs of Fair Oaks Ranch, and many residents, regardless of age, are attracted to his hopes for the town.
One plan, in particular, is the prevention of a five-lane parkway being considered for the town. According to Abuzeid, the highway would attract undesired traffic and create several safety concerns.

"The first thing I hope to accomplish is to oppose the five-lane parkway," Abuzeid said. "The volume of traffic will increase substantially, and with the school nearby, it becomes a hazard for the students."

Another matter Abuzied would like to address is the adoption of a fire department for Fair Oaks Ranch. According to the student candidate, Fair Oaks Ranch has implemented a plan in which victims receive monetary compensation for their losses in the event of a fire. Abuzeid feels this is not enough to make up for the damage.

"You can't write out a check for someone's wife or child," he said. "We don't have our own (fire department), so we must rely on our contract with Leon Springs, but in the future, that could be compromised."

Abuzeid has larger-than-life plans for Fair Oaks Ranch, and while he is rising to the top of residents' preferred candidate list, making it to the home stretch will take a lot of hard work and encouragement from his strongest supporters.

"What motivates me is Joe, (McFadden, my campaign manager). He constantly says, 'You're going to get this because you're going to earn it,'" Abuzeid said. "(My opponent, Daniel Kasprowicz) is not talking to every single constituent. I am." Abuzeid also admires his political science professor and mentor, Dennis Martinez.

"He's brought a lot of wisdom since he's very experienced in political science," Abuzeid said of Martinez. "I know, as a young man, I can get wisdom by talking to someone who's been in the system for awhile."
The issue of age has been of little concern to Abuzeid and he feels that he is more than qualified for the position.

"People do attack me because of my age, but I don't think age is an issue," Abuzeid said. "(A week ago) I would've said the elderly are tough, but now I know as I meet more people, they're not worried about my age. (More important is) who can accurately represent Fair Oaks Ranch."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 7:23 PM

At first I thought this was talking about 22 year old running for mayor of SA

Seriously, though, SA gets a good mayor like Hardberger who can only stay in office for a few years because of term limits, yet Fair Oaks Ranch has a mayor stick around for so long he dies in office??

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:16 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
At first I thought this was talking about 22 year old running for mayor of SA
So it worked...

Quote:
Seriously, though, SA gets a good mayor like Hardberger who can only stay in office for a few years because of term limits, yet Fair Oaks Ranch has a mayor stick around for so long he dies in office??
I agree, the limits for SA Mayor and Council are so stupid. If you don't like a Mayor, if he's done a shit poor job, guess what, just vote him out.

Also, it's kind of humorous that the former Mayor was in office almost as long as how long his possible successor has been alive.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 4:35 AM
James

It inspires me to run for mayor in SA, lol. I'm 20, I could totally do it! Just kidding, but I just hope he knows what he's doing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio