HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 4:24 AM

That's a nice little infill project.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 9:47 PM

has anyone else hard about the Bakery Square 2.0 project? A few things i have dug up. Breaking ground January 2013. First phase will be "a three-building, 400,000-square-foot, LEED-certified office project located in the Parkway East submarket at 6420 Penn Ave." ( http://www.costar.com/News/Article/B...-Ground/142055 )

A couple of slides about site plan and stuff can be found here: http://bakery-square.com/wp-content/...screenrez2.pdf

A good article about the project is here: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...roject-651857/

Full build out should look something like this:

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:21 AM
BANNED

^ nice

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 12:55 PM

There is no first floor retail planned, which is kind of dissapointing to me. I would like to see some retail, just so the project is vibrant 24-7. With just office uses, nobody will stick around after 5pm.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 2:12 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

It's such a badass project. This is sure to be another lynchpin to the rise of the east end again.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 2:15 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
There is no first floor retail planned, which is kind of dissapointing to me. I would like to see some retail, just so the project is vibrant 24-7. With just office uses, nobody will stick around after 5pm.
I'm perfectly fine with the retail being on the other side of the street at Bakery Square, markson33. Not every project needs retail, and frankly, if a good chunk of the office space ends up getting leased up by tech companies, you're not really looking at a traditional 8-5 workday for many of their employees...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Yeah, some retail added to new development would make it even better. I'd like to see some of that in the promenade-looking area between the office and apartment developments -- a restaurant would be a good catalyst.

Bakery Square across the street really is lacking in retail, or at least the type of retail one would think fits in better with the development. The retail there seems to be an afterthought, and therefore I don't see those stores succeeding.

It's a weird layout, I think, with that parking lot front and center punctuated by a small coffee shop, and backed by the highly visible hotel and gym. Then, the actual retail outlets are tucked away out of sight down that alley. It just feels very awkward and uninviting to me... and it seems that a toy store, women's upscale clothing stores, and a verizon outlet are oddballs for something like this.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Pittsburgh needs more hotel rooms. This weekend 118/118 Pittsburgh area hotels were at 100% capacity according to Expedia.com! Does this even happen in other cities?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 2:55 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Pittsburgh needs more hotel rooms. This weekend 118/118 Pittsburgh area hotels were at 100% capacity according to Expedia.com! Does this even happen in other cities?
Woah! In a previous PG article, it showed only one room was left, a room at I believe the Fairmont for $400-something a night. Well, I would assume the Boss concert was, well, boss, to top off a rather boss weekend for sports. Both Pitt and the Steelers won their games...

But yeah, I'm right with you on that. Sure it would be nice to have another high-end hotel, but even something like a tall Candlewood Suites, Holiday Inn or something to that regard...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:07 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Woah! In a previous PG article, it showed only one room was left, a room at I believe the Fairmont for $400-something a night. Well, I would assume the Boss concert was, well, boss, to top off a rather boss weekend for sports. Both Pitt and the Steelers won their games...

But yeah, I'm right with you on that. Sure it would be nice to have another high-end hotel, but even something like a tall Candlewood Suites, Holiday Inn or something to that regard...
yeah it was the perfect storm of events that filled them up. Problem is all those rooms arn't always needed except on those rare days. I believe the hotel business always wants to be on the "not enough" side to keep the in the black on the lean weeks. But I see more hotels going up every year to fill the need. It's all gooood.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:24 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

Yeah, I rented a hooker so I could get that room, just so I could tell people that every hotel room was occupied.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:25 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Yeah, I rented a hooker so I could get that room, just so I could tell people that every hotel room was occupied.
Well played.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 6:01 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Buncher plan would limit public access to Strip District in Pittsburgh

Buncher Co. wants to turn part of a Strip District site into a "gated community," limiting access to the Allegheny River in a way that counters the city's vision plan for waterfront development, Pittsburgh Councilman Patrick Dowd said, raising new objections to the project ahead of a vote on zoning legislation Wednesday.

The Urban Redevelopment Authority said Mr. Dowd's assertions are "overstated." While access to a residential area would be limited, the authority said in a statement, the overall mixed-use development would replace Buncher's existing parking lots with buildings and amenities that draw people to the river.

A Buncher representative could not be reached.

Mr. Dowd said Buncher's preliminary land development plan shows gates at 18th and 20th streets that would turn those streets into "little private drives" between Waterfront Place and the river.

One page of Buncher's plan appears to show private drives at 18th and 20th streets. Another page shows a private drive at 18th and a possible private drive at 20th.

"They are literally creating a gated community in the Strip District," Mr. Dowd said.

He noted that the Allegheny Riverfront Vision Plan, unveiled in February 2011, emphasizes the importance of reconnecting Pittsburghers to the river after a long separation enforced by railroad lines and industrial buildings. While the riverfront blueprint calls for the river to be visible and accessible, Mr. Dowd said, Buncher would provide no access between 17th Street, where a piazza overlooking the river is planned, and 21st Street.

The vision plan makes recommendations for redeveloping a six-mile stretch of riverfront between Downtown and Highland Park, an area that includes the Riverfront Landing site. Riverlife, a group that helped write the vision plan, calls the 6-mile stretch one of the most underdeveloped urban riverfronts in the nation.

Like Mr. Dowd, Riverlife has concerns about the level of public access reflected in Buncher's preliminary land development plan. It encouraged Buncher to leave enough space at the Allegheny's edge for a "world-class" riverfront park similar to North Shore Riverfront Park with its 3 acres of lawn, water steps and public art.

The authority stressed that Buncher's plan for offices, homes, a hotel and retail establishments would create a "community" and provide far more riverfront access than currently is available in the Strip District. It noted that much of the Buncher site now is a "sea of parking" and said plans include a "gracious and expansive grand entrance" to Riverfront Landing on 17th Street.

"This is not public property that Buncher is taking from the city to turn into something private," the authority noted. "Just the opposite is true; this is private property owned by Buncher that they have gone to extensive lengths to provide public access to, so that the national/international draw of the Strip District also includes a robust riverfront experience as a significant amenity."

Riverfront Landing would stretch from the Veterans Bridge to 21st Street between Smallman Street and the river. The project is controversial partly because it would involve the authority's sale of the historic produce terminal to Buncher and the likely relocation of remaining produce vendors. Buncher would demolish one-third of the building to extend 17th Street from Smallman Street to the river.

The project also has encountered a raft of questions from Mr. Dowd, who since July has been holding up legislation for a tax-increment financing plan of up to $50 million. Mr. Dowd said he hasn't been given sufficient information about how the money would be used. He's also questioned the potential impact of Buncher's legal dispute with Allegheny Valley Railroad, which claims an easement across the project site.

In its statement, the authority stressed that approval of the tax-increment financing plan would provide the money necessary to build public infrastructure and make much of the development publicly accessible.

Without the financing plan, "it is more likely that such infrastructure, if built, would remain private," the authority said. "Same goes for the quality of the riverfront amenities/improvements that get built. If we have the money, we can ensure a high-quality riverfront design. If we don't, then we're stuck trying to raise funding from the federal government or our cash-strapped state."

Council is scheduled to take a preliminary vote Wednesday on separate legislation that would create a special zoning district for Riverfront Landing. At that meeting, Mr. Dowd will have an opportunity to air his concerns about public access to the river and what he sees as other possible departures from the riverfront master plan.

In its statement, the authority said it is speaking with consultants about how to implement bicycle and transit-related recommendations in the riverfront vision plan.

Riverlife has criticized Buncher's proposed a 70-foot development setback from the river, saying that isn't enough space to preserve an existing walking trail along the crumbling riverbank let alone restore habitat lost during the city's heavy industrial period and create a park where people can picnic, fish, launch kayaks and bicycle. Riverlife has offered a compromise.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...sburgh-659678/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:39 AM

That's the first time I have seen BKSQ 2.0 with the apartment blocks instead of the formerly-planned houses . . . looks great.

I am more than fine with that side having no retail element. The other side has more than enough retail space for the overall complex, and there is tons more retail space just down Penn and into downtown East Liberty.

I might note the long term plan is to eventually convert those strip malls on either side of Penn just west of BKSQ into more intense mixed-use multi-floor complexes, and as needed those future developments could include ground-floor retail right along Penn or on new side streets just off Penn.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:

aren't they building a new Hotel Indigo somewhere in east liberty near the target?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
Buncher plan would limit public access to Strip District in Pittsburgh
Surprise, surprise...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:54 PM
Eurosceptic

A gated community immediately adjacent to Downtown is the worst possible idea... but this is no surprise coming from the vile Buncher group whose track record is urban-fabric-destroying low-rise crap in the Strip or chintzy "resort" housing at Hidden Valley... and I'm not surprised the desperate sycophants who populate URA and local government support this embarrassing plan.

Kudos to Dowd and Riverlife for keeping the pressure on... this cannot be a squandered opportunity!

even the Trib takes issue with Buncher's plan

http://triblive.com/aande/architectu...#axzz2AimGkvKr

Quote:
The AIA gave a planning award to the local office of Perkins Eastman architects for its Allegheny Riverfront Green Boulevard “visioning” plan for the corridor stretching along the river from the David L. Lawrence Convention Center through the Strip District and Lawrenceville. At the same time, Architectural Record cited and illustrated this study as one of the far-sighted planning efforts being made in the city.

Yet, amazingly, this highly praised study is the same one that the Buncher Co. has largely ignored in its plans — currently before City Council — to redevelop 38 vacant acres along the riverfront adjacent to the Strip.

Last edited by Evergrey; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:20 PM
Eurosceptic

Somehow this eluded me until I drove past it a couple weeks ago... but has anyone here noticed the stunning 18th Street Staircase illumination project in the South Side Slopes? It serves a functional purpose... but is also a fantastic work of public art. Hopefully this is the forefront of a renaissance for our vast staircase infrastructure. Perhaps Pittsburgh could use an advocacy/planning group called "Hill-Life" modeled after RiverLife.

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/2...#axzz2AimGkvKr

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...-light-the-way

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^Wow i love the stair lights too. Great little project

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 1:23 AM

Ok. this is kinda crazy.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12302/1272611-114.stm

They are burying new pneumatic tubes that will run roughly two blocks in either direction. According to the article:

"The project marks a first for the region by running the tubes farther than just the building next door. Instead, to connect Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC to the new lab in the former Rangos Research Center building at the intersection of McKee Place and Fifth Avenue, the underground tubes will stretch two blocks, or about 300 yards, from the hospital."

pretty crazy.

Here's a map.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations