HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 2:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wingfest

Next weekend is Wingfest, June 12-14. My advise is don't drive to the place because you won't find parking. Take the free waterfront trolley.

This event was HUGE last year and it was the first.

http://www.hamiltonwaterfrontwingfest.com/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hammer'd

Unfortunately, the Waterfront trolley won't be running until June 28th. You could take the 4 Bayfront and walk from the stop at James/Burlington. It's barely a far distance at all.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 12:17 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

we should have a 'wing-off' with Buffalo

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Unfortunately, the Waterfront trolley won't be running until June 28th. You could take the 4 Bayfront and walk from the stop at James/Burlington. It's barely a far distance at all.
June 28th, that seems short sited.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 1:57 AM
Hammer'd

I agree. I thought I remembered it starting earlier last year.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 3:03 AM
It's Hammer Time

Pretty sure they had the trolley out last year for the Wingfest.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 1:12 PM
Hammer'd

That is right, I remember that now. I looked on the website but it doesn't mention anything about it (neither does the HSR). As usual, great promotion...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 11:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Festival of Friends may pilot next Wingfest

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-next-wingfest

Wingfest, a signature central Hamilton festival, is teetering between landing on the chopping block and taking flight under new management.

Hamilton Waterfront Trust officials revealed Thursday that their festival’s losses last year were equivalent to a quarter of the event’s overall operating budget and that they are negotiating a handover of the June 10-12 event to Festival of Friends.

“The operating budget is just over $200,000 and our losses last year were $50,000,” said Ward 2 Councillor Jason Farr, one of two new council appointees to the waterfront trust. Wingfest, which runs mid-June outside the Discovery Centre at Pier 8, was created by the waterfront trust three years ago. It attracted 26,000 people in 2008, 50,000 in 2009, and 46,000 last year.

The trust seriously considered cancelling the three-day festival this year, Farr said.

“The discussion was based on the fact that it’s a whole lot of work, we had a $50,000 loss, and (Wingfest’s) requirements in manpower. Are we festival organizers? No. That’s why the discussion and decision to make an arrangement with Loren (Lieberman) and Festival of Friends was put on the table.”

Farr said the board believes Wingfest already is a success despite the financial loss and “that just that one little piece is missing to really put us over the top and make it extra good.”

Earlier this week, the city’s grants subcommittee approved the trust’s request for a $20,000 grant for Wingfest 2011, which must be ratified the audit and finance committee and finally by council.

Waterfront Trust executive director Werner Plessl said rain and poor weather at last year’s Wingfest were major factors contributing to the $50,000 loss. Furthermore, “in these economic times, we had difficulties finding sponsors.”

Plessl said Wingfest also lost money in 2008 and 2009, but he couldn’t remember how much. “It was less than last year,” he said.

Last year’s losses have been covered by the trust’s reserves and are not included in a recent budget request for $150,000 intended to cover the operating costs for the new skating rink on the waterfront, Plessl said. The budget request has raised questions at City Hall. The trust, an arms-length charitable agency created by the city to develop the waterfront’s recreational and tourism potential, is “in trouble,” said city finance chief Rob Rossini earlier this week. “Right now their revenues are not covering their expenses.”

Festival of Friends general manager Loren Lieberman said that he and his board spent the past three weeks taking a hard look at Wingfest’s books and operations before concluding it would be possible to mount it.

“We would need to do it in 10 weeks,” Lieberman said. “That’s not a lot of time for an event of this calibre, but we hope to have an agreement with the waterfront trust very shortly.”

The short timeline would likely scare off many other festival organizers, Lieberman said, but Festival of Friends’s size gives it an expertise and volunteer base large enough to be able to save Wingfest on short notice. Festival of Friends is the largest free music festival in Ontario.

“It’s not without risk, but I feel strongly about the retention and health of Wingfest and the overall events scene in Hamilton,” he said. “I’m not sure Hamiltonians fully appreciate how lucky they are to have all these festivals that are free or mostly free.”

When Festival of Friends’ offices were destroyed in the 2004 collapse of the Tivoli Theatre, the community rallied to save that year’s festival, he said. “I’ve never forgotten how folks in the community like The Hamilton Spectator and music icon Randy Bachman stepped up to help us.”

Assuming the deal gets done, Lieberman said FoF will use its music programming muscle, redesign Wingfest to look different by drawing more on the waterfront’s beauty and exploring some synergy with two other important downtown festivals — SuperCrawl and Open Streets Hamilton — that are centred on James Street North’s arts scene.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 11:49 PM

After reading this I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry...

It doesn't look very professional for the Waterfront Trust to show up making an official request to the city for $20,000 after losing $50,000 and then say that they also lost money the first two years on Wingfest but "can't remember" how much (of course they do remember that it was "less than last year"!)
(plus they would like another $150,000 thrown in for their skating rink)

I guess we should rest assured that according to Councillor Farr, the board considers Wingfest a success that is just missing that "one little piece" to make it "extra good"!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:56 AM

Hmmm, maybe now it makes sense why Chad Collins quit the waterfront trust when he did.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...terfront-trust

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 12:37 PM

Does that mean Wingfest is moving to Ancaster then?

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 3:24 AM

Postponed

"Hamilton Waterfront Trust officials revealed ... that they are negotiating a handover of the June 10-12 event to Festival of Friends."

There is a press release on the hamiltonwaterfront.com site indicating that the festival is now postponed until some unspecified date in September.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace1 View Post
"Hamilton Waterfront Trust officials revealed ... that they are negotiating a handover of the June 10-12 event to Festival of Friends."

There is a press release on the hamiltonwaterfront.com site indicating that the festival is now postponed until some unspecified date in September.
Lame! Everyone I know has been looking forward to this!
Some ppl complained of long lines.. but if you show up late enough (ie: not lunch or dinner rush), there are no lines and sometimes you even get extra wings! (..or maybe it's cuz I'm cute? Either way..)

I really hope this doesn't move to Ancaster!

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 11:34 AM

Looks like negotiations to hand over running Wingfest to Lieberman have failed. Without an organizer to take this on, looks like there won't be a Wingfest this year. Waterfront Trust says there are a couple other parties that may be interested, but he isn't naming names, which is not a good sign.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 6:25 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

unbelievable. Go to Burlington's Rib Fest and see how embarrassing Hamilton is.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:03 PM

I'm totally okay with losing wingfest. Why the city of Hamilton should put on a festival for chicken wings is beyond me. If people are willing to pay for chicken wings then the market should be able to take care of them. Festival of Friends, different story.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 8:51 PM

I've been twice in the past. Huge line ups for everything from the ATM to the washrooms to the food to the beer tent. The bands were bad. The vendors were (mostly) crap. It's too bad to see a festival shut down, but I certainly won't miss it.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:18 PM

2011:

The Summer of The Death of the Festival

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 11:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

On a wing and prayer for a revamped

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/on-...mped-wingfest/

| Hamilton Community News

By Kevin Werner, News Staff

Hamilton’s Wingfest may fly again this year.

Mountain businessman Chris Ecklund says he has met with a local person who is interested in helping to revive the financially-troubled festival this year.

“It will be back for 2012,” said Ecklund, who did not want to reveal the person’s name. “It’s my baby. I helped to start it. It was created for the entire community. Now it is on a wing and a prayer.”

Ecklund, who acknowledged he will invest some “major funding” into the venture at least for the first year of operation, hopes to keep the festival on the waterfront, either at Pier 8 near the former Discovery Centre, where a new restaurant is scheduled to open this year, and Williams Coffee Pub, or Pier 4.

“The waterfront is the best location,” he said. “I want the festival to be a compliment to both Williams and the new restaurant.”

If Pier 8 is unavailable, or parking becomes an issue, thenBayfrontParkcould be an alternative location, he said. Ecklund said he has spoken to Waterfront Trust officials about the event.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion