HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 4:03 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Does Metrolinx count as a developer? If so then here's what I would be doing with their power (and about 10x their budget). . .

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:03 AM

^Add a bit of commentary, if you don't mind - I can't figure out some of the routes.

I've also thought it would be nice to connect Hamilton with its neighbours - again - via light rail. We could have lines running out to Brantford, Caledonia, Burlington, Guelph and even into Niagara. How awesome would it be to take the train into wine country?

But yeah, we'd be into the hundreds of billions at that point. I guess we shouldn't have torn up those tracks! Dummies.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:13 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Which routes don't make sense? (I'm not 100% sure if the maps lined up properly so that could be an issue.)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^Add a bit of commentary, if you don't mind - I can't figure out some of the routes.

I've also thought it would be nice to connect Hamilton with its neighbours - again - via light rail. We could have lines running out to Brantford, Caledonia, Burlington, Guelph and even into Niagara. How awesome would it be to take the train into wine country?

But yeah, we'd be into the hundreds of billions at that point. I guess we shouldn't have torn up those tracks! Dummies.
Partnerships with with the private sector need to be explored.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 2:21 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Also something I have to ask about is the Greenbelt. I thought it was supposed to bar development, but apparently Waterdown is supposed to be growing like 100% in the next 30 years and Binbrook is booming yet both are within the greenbelt, so I have to ask if the Greenbelt is actually blocking development or not.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 11:26 AM

I've got lots of questions:

The Main and King routes, for example. Do trains run east-west on both lines or is Main strickly east-bound and King west? Also, does the King line go all the way to Fruitland or what is that road?

How about the red-dotted line?

Does the purple line use the Sherman access or is that a tunnel?

And the orange and green lines - where do they terminate in Ancaster?

I'll limit my queries to just those, thanks.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:05 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
I've got lots of questions:

The Main and King routes, for example. Do trains run east-west on both lines or is Main strickly east-bound and King west? Also, does the King line go all the way to Fruitland or what is that road?Both run both ways. There was a limit to how many trains they could put on one route so it increases capacity through the core region. The A-line is actually an error, it should go to Fifty Road but I ended it at Fruitland.

How about the red-dotted line?I'm not sure which one you're refering to. The one using the Jolley Cut would be two way, improving Downtown-Mountain transit. The Barton-Grimsby one would be two way as well, further improving east-west transit.

Does the purple line use the Sherman access or is that a tunnel?I put it on the Sherman Access, I think that's how they have the T-line going.

And the orange and green lines - where do they terminate in Ancaster?The Ancaster Business Park. That's where the S-line is supposed to end so I have the other one end there too.

I'll limit my queries to just those, thanks.
There's my answers. If you have more questions I'd be glad to ask. Also I should fix that one error.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:20 PM

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:00 AM

I love that map - it's so pretty and well...fanciful. Forget 25 years - it'll be a million unless we strike oil at the corner of King and James.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:39 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Or if very few people strike oil in the near future.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:04 PM

Ah yes, I see what you did there - very nicely played, sir.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 7:15 AM

If I were an artist in Hamilton, I would do this:

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 12:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

That would be mega awesome.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:51 PM

For what I would do, get rid of that green fascia-ed crap on The Gore and rebuilding the Provident and Loan building (I saw it for the first time during the Downtown Built Heritage Inventory meeting and it blew my mind, it looked like it belonged in Paris France). Also, rebuild the Birks building. Except I can't really justify tearing down Scarfone hawkins (offers too much office space and isn't ugly enough), so build it on the stupid freaking bingo hall (hate that building). Also, on the first page someone mentioned having terrace buildings surrounding victoria park, AWESOME idea. Hamilton, and Canada in general really doesn't have enough of these. think New York Brownstones or the area between Hyde Park and Thames (aka millionaires district) in London. i also have a few ideas for waterfront and a parking lot on king william/hughson, but I'm at work so I'll do it later.

Edit: also, I forgot to say about the provident and loan, I would repeat the 3rd floor 2 or 3 times to create more office space but not too much so that pedestrians can still see the awesome roof.

Last edited by KDP; Aug 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 9:32 PM

NYC townhouses are so beautiful, I don't know why no one has decided to build an nyc-inspired townhouse or brownstone.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:18 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
NYC townhouses are so beautiful, I don't know why no one has decided to build an nyc-inspired townhouse or brownstone.
Somebody has. See here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200296

Construction started a week or two ago.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

My idea for the Tivoli theatre. Just a quick Sketchup, and possibly a floor or two too tall.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 1:41 AM

Great! But just look how stupid that strip mall's going to look! Hopefully there will be some action on that front in the near future.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 4:10 PM

That's too tall for James Street, in my opinion. 3-6 storeys is perfect.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:15 AM

After I made this post about the Waterfront Trails development in the Hamilton Waterfront thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Waterfront Trails Registration Site: newhorizonhomes.ca/2014/06/11/waterfront-trail

Source, buzzbuzzhome.com

Coming soon - New Horizon will unveil a masterfully planned residential community in Stoney Creek. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, this grand development will be a destination residential community for those seeking an active and affordable resort-inspired lifestyle. The Waterfront Trails neighbourhood will have a fashionable lakeside condo, and intimate woodland trail condo, as well as two and three-storey towns. The neighbourhood will be designed to take full advantage of the lake setting. It will include new links to the existing trail system and improved pedestrian waterfront connects that enhance the naturally-inspired settings within the community's preserved woodlots. There will be plenty of local amenities such as parks, dog-friendly zone, fire pit too - all to encourage residents to get out, be active and engaged in the community!

The site was zoned for 13 high-rise buildings in the 70's, but only 2 were built. It's a shame the site is going to be wasted for townhomes, you could fit a neighbourhood similar to downtown Burlington on the site.

I made this to see the site's potential...

Source: My Photo

Last edited by thomax; Nov 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion