HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:12 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golyadkin View Post
Wow. 3 million square feet. 15-17k employees. That must be the largest construction job in the country.

I clicked the links; No renderings have been released though, right?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:14 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
No, at least, Im not aware of any yet. I really hope it is more than just a giant suburban office complex, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^
No, at least, Im not aware of any yet. I really hope it is more than just a giant suburban office complex, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.
Not sure if there is any hope. Exxon's digs will probably be just a huge suburban office complex. Just a really nice one. Springwoods Village next door will have some cool thing, tho.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

Im really bored right now so Id thought Id trace all the empty lots downtown Houston still has left. We have a long ways to go folks.

Last edited by photoLith; Jun 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:03 PM

To be fair, some of those are parking lots for buildings that are on the same block, so they don't really count. And you also highlighted a least a few empty lots that aren't parking lots.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
And you also highlighted a least a few empty lots that aren't parking lots.
Empty lots are even worse than parking lots IMO. Hopefully Houston will develop its downtown more in the future.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 5:20 PM

1111 Studewood in the Memorial Heights/Washington St corridor

6 floors clad in red brick to resemble older bldg

2 underground parking levels for residents
ground floor retail (9,000 square feet)
floors 2 and 3 customer parking
floors 4-6 contain 20 condos
rooftop pool and summer kitchen

Image courtesy of the Houston Chronicle

Nancy's blog claims construction has started. Nice infill for this area.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 8:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

Construction has for sure started on that and its right in the middle of the historic Houston Heights neighborhood. Thats a hell of a lot better than most of the tin sided schlock that has gone in on that side of Houston.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 8:14 PM
Ya Dig!!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 4:16 AM

Exxon-Mobil

Curious to see if they move their world headquarters from Irving to this new campus.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 2:19 PM

Well if you've been by the location, the numerous cranes are the confirmation of this project going forward. Exxon has been incredibly hush on such a huge, new and flashy corporate campus. Don't you think that is strange? It wouldn't surprise me if this is indeed the new world headquarters.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 5:28 PM

Exxon Mobil staying quiet on this may also be a wise PR move as well. What with the economy, record gas prices, and not to mention record oil company profits, I think the last thing most Americans want to hear is Exxon is building a "God knows how many multi million dollar " campus/headquarters.

With regard to the actual headquarters moving, I will believe that when I see it. I'm not holding my breath on that however.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:03 AM
Ex Houstonian

Didnt know this started til I drove past it yesterday. Destroying yet another downtown gem, like Houston hasnt lost freakin enough already. I was able to find a way into the building and walk around. Its the old YMCA building, the Franzheim Building.

What a shame. And the new YMCA is about the ugliest damn thing Ive ever seen. No doubt, this will just become a parking garage or parking lot YAY progress!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:05 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Pretty sad to lose a historic gem like that. What are they replacing it with? That might provide some clues as to why they are demolishing it. Better not be another empty lot!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Its going to be parking probably for now for the surrounding towers and Chevron is taking over the land. So thats pretty sweet, ugh. It would have cost the YMCA 25 million to totally restore and repair the building. But they decided that was too costly, and instead went the cheaper rout and built an entirely new building for 50 fucking million dollars, makes complete total sense to me.

Quote:
Chevron, which will take ownership of the land after the building is razed, said it has no immediate plans for the site. But its ranks of downtown employees and contractors have been growing and are now nearly 7,000.

"It leaves us flexibility and options for the future," said Edward Spaulding, Chevron's public affairs manager for North America.

Neither party would discuss financial terms of the deal for the 85,000-square-foot property.

The oil and gas giant already owns 1500 Louisiana and leases all of 1400 Smith. The buildings — connected by a pedestrian skyring — were originally occupied by or planned for Enron. Chevron also leases space in the Continental Airlines building at 1600 Smith.

In all, the company has 2.9 million square feet in the Central Business District.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...#ixzz1OZ2juGDv
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5865081.html

That article is from 2008, so its pretty outdated.

I read a rumor that Chevron eventually plans on building a mid rise at the site, although, thats probably pretty far off into the future. Im sure it will just be a glass box, which is a fart in the wind compared to this soon to be nothing but dust once beautiful building.

Last edited by photoLith; Jun 7, 2011 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Pretty sad to lose a historic gem like that. What are they replacing it with? That might provide some clues as to why they are demolishing it. Better not be another empty lot!
That would have been an awesome building for lofts or boutique hotel. You could've had a number of terraces. These old YMCA buildings are beautiful and its a shame they are being torn down.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

Just found out that the Exxon headquarters are not moving to that new suburban campus from Irving.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:52 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
To be fair, some of those are parking lots for buildings that are on the same block, so they don't really count. And you also highlighted a least a few empty lots that aren't parking lots.
Why would a downtown building need surface parking at all?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:29 PM

It all makes me want to cry.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautica View Post
Curious to see if they move their world headquarters from Irving to this new campus.
Exxon Mobil’s Real Estate Shake Up

By Nancy Sarnoff
Houston Chronicle
Published 06-07-11, 3:47pm CDT

Quotes:

"About 8,000 Houston-area employees will relocate to the new campus just south of The Woodlands.

The long-expected announcement was made to employees early this morning in a memo and later to the public."

"Exxon Mobil’s Irving headquarters will not move, nor will the Fort Worth offices of recently acquired XTO Energy. The company’s Fairfax, Va. offices, however, are part of the study. Some 2,500 employees work in that location."

"For Houston, the long-expected consolidation will shake up the real estate market."

"Exxon Mobil will vacate several area buildings, including a 44-story tower downtown and several buildings in the Greenspoint area. Employees who work in two additional buildings — one on Buffalo Speedway and another along the Katy Freeway — will also move to the new campus."

"Houston economist Barton Smith said the move out of downtown wasn’t likely to be “disastrous,” but there could be repercussions later.

“Are we going to see a mass exodus of energy employment in general from downtown? I think it’s worth keeping an eye on,” he said."

Full article can be found here:

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...tate-shake-up/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations