HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 3:43 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 32,950
In fairness to cottagers, the seasoned ones do tend to have a lot of duplicate stuff already at the cottage that we as occasional visitors have to pack: towels, swimsuits, bedding, toothbrushes, pillows, clothes, booze, etc.

But having left the city at the same time and from the same place (ie their house) with experienced cottagers on many occasions, it's still a lot of work getting everything else ready to go.
__________________
¿Por qué no te callas?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 11:08 PM
Doug Doug is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A residence in a foreign city is not a cottage, although I suppose you could find people with cottages in Arizona. Lots of people have trailers/condos in Florida where they spend the winter, but I wouldn't really think of that as a "cottage" either.
I know people in Alberta thst fly to AZ or Palm Springs a couple of times per month during the winter. Probably takes less time than fighting traffic to Muskoka.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 11:14 PM
Capsicum's Avatar
Capsicum Capsicum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A residence in a foreign city is not a cottage, although I suppose you could find people with cottages in Arizona. Lots of people have trailers/condos in Florida where they spend the winter, but I wouldn't really think of that as a "cottage" either.
Now that it's brought up, I wonder what's more common and by how much, having Canadians be snowbirds having foreign property to escape to in the winter, vs. having a cottage nearby (in the same province) to escape to in the summer?

I suppose, there are also those with the wherewithal to not have to choose between them and have both.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 11:22 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 14,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Now that it's brought up, I wonder what's more common and by how much, having Canadians be snowbirds having foreign property to escape to in the winter, vs. having a cottage nearby (in the same province) to escape to in the summer?

I suppose, there are also those with the wherewithal to not have to choose between them and have both.
I'd wager that there are more owners of cottages than of foreign properties, at least among Ontarians. And many Ottawan's have cottages that are nearby but not in the same province.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 11:32 PM
Capsicum's Avatar
Capsicum Capsicum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'd wager that there are more owners of cottages than of foreign properties, at least among Ontarians. And many Ottawan's have cottages that are nearby but not in the same province.
Yeah, my gut feeling is that Ontarians don't really own foreign properties that much, but the discussion in the thread seems to make it seem like Albertans are more likely to. Maybe because they have more cheaper parts of the US sunbelt directly to the south of them (the SW like Arizona?)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:09 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Insertoronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,338
I know several retirees who spend their summers at their cottage and winters at their florida house - without owning any property in Toronto. The Cottage is listed as the primary address for residency purposes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:21 AM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
613er
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,257
I know a bunch of people in the National Capital Region who own a property in Florida. This is probably just a coincidence, but they all live in Gatineau. One is retired and lives in a modest apartment in Wrightville.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:34 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Insertoronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,338
Hey if you sell your million dollar house in Toronto you can buy a $300,000 Florida house and $600,000 cottage and still have $100k leftover. In reality it more usually is that they already own the cottage though and simply bank $600-700k in equity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:37 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Hey if you sell your million dollar house in Toronto you can buy a $300,000 Florida house and $600,000 cottage and still have $100k leftover. In reality it more usually is that they already own the cottage though and simply bank $600-700k in equity.
$600k??? That's how much it is in the Toronto cottage country now? Jesus...

In Ottawa, "cottage country" is mostly in Quebec (to the north of Gatineau, with some parts of the Laurentians within driving distance too), with a little bit in the Bon Echo/Madawaska area. A typical cost is maybe $300k.

Last edited by 1overcosc; Aug 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 6:46 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 4,520
Depends where you live. Out here very few of us have cottages but many people have cabins. In Ontario it's the opposite apparently.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...rticle4186858/
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 10:42 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 14,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
$600k??? That's how much it is in the Toronto cottage country now? Jesus...

In Ottawa, "cottage country" is mostly in Quebec (to the north of Gatineau, with some parts of the Laurentians within driving distance too), with a little bit in the Bon Echo/Madawaska area. A typical cost is maybe $300k.
How do you feel about $5.475M for a six bedroom, seven bathroom "cottage" on Georgian Bay? I'm sure you could spend twice that in Muskoka.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...gh-water-mark/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 10:50 PM
Docere Docere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
$600k??? That's how much it is in the Toronto cottage country now? Jesus...
Were you under the impression that cottages were for "regular folks" or something?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 10:55 PM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,662
Quote:
$600k??? That's how much it is in the Toronto cottage country now? Jesus...
les ''chalet'' are very expensive here as well, even far from Montréal.
__________________
There's only so much fortune a man needs and the rest is just for showing off.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Aug 8, 2018 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:56 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 7,930
You cant beat the cabin lifestyle. Sure its a lot of work for the family, and all the toys are expensive...we burn more gas on an average weekend than most urbanist with their soul sucking 4 cylinder secretary specials do in 3-4 months, but well worth allowing my family to spend time with my sisters family and our parents.

The thought of my daughter and my niece, who are both about a year old, learning to waterski in a handful of years.....spending all day out on the boat and a big family campfire at night....or towing them on the old GT racers behind the sleds in winter....or getting them covered in mud doing some ATVing....can't have fun like that spending weekends in the city in some concrete nightmare.
__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 1:55 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is online now
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 12,743
My family used to have a cabin for a couple years back in the early 90s but nowadays I struggle to meet anyone in Edmonton who has a family cabin. Most often you hear people going camping at a provincial campground with their tent or with an RV.
__________________
The Colour Green
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:05 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 7,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
My family used to have a cabin for a couple years back in the early 90s but nowadays I struggle to meet anyone in Edmonton who has a family cabin. Most often you hear people going camping at a provincial campground with their tent or with an RV.
RV developments are very popular right now. So few campgrounds have been built in recent years, and more and more people have trailers. Lots of golf courses around lakes are subdividing and providing various levels of servicing and selling lots between $40-80 grand. Gives people a rather affordable and close by get away and they don't have to worry about beating the rush to book spots at provincial campgrounds that basically book up all year first thing in the spring or finding a privately run first come first serve spot on Friday evening.
__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:24 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: EDM ->->-> Okanagan
Posts: 10,419
We have a cottage on Bridge Lake, located about an hour and a half north-west of Kamloops in the Interlakes district, close to the top of the Cariboo plateau.

The structure itself is a 1000 SF modified A frame log cabin built in the 70's, on three acres with about 100' of frontage. We're in a fairly secluded area with only one neighbor. The area itself is quite popular with people from Central Alberta and from the Lower mainland.

it's an 8 hour drive from Edmonton but worth every minute
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:42 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 32,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
We have a cottage on Bridge Lake, located about an hour and a half north-west of Kamloops in the Interlakes district, close to the top of the Cariboo plateau.

The structure itself is a 1000 SF modified A frame log cabin built in the 70's, on three acres with about 100' of frontage. We're in a fairly secluded area with only one neighbor. The area itself is quite popular with people from Central Alberta and from the Lower mainland.

it's an 8 hour drive from Edmonton but worth every minute
How often do you go?
__________________
¿Por qué no te callas?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:49 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
613er
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,257
An 8 hour drive is something. Just to put things into perspective that’s the equivalent of Ottawa-Baltimore, a trip not worth doing even on a long weekend.

Last edited by le calmar; Aug 9, 2018 at 5:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:56 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: EDM ->->-> Okanagan
Posts: 10,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How often do you go?
We usually go four or five times a year, and I’ll make an out & back supply run out there in early spring typically. My folks live three hours south of there in the North Okanagan so we usually try to pop down for a visit while we’re out there.

^^ It is a bit of a pull, the worst part of the drive is from Edmonton and through Jasper, just because it’s boring then slow. The second half of the drive once you hit BC is pretty nice. It is too long for a long weekend so we’ll usually tack a few vacation days on and stay for 3-4 nights
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.