HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1061  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 12:16 AM
GeneralLeeTPHLS's Avatar
GeneralLeeTPHLS GeneralLeeTPHLS is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 2,651
Today

I never really thought of how impactful the density crawl would be on Yonge south of Eglinton…..the Yonge canyon continues in pockets...with the midtown stretch becoming pretty fair now, today:
[IMG]TJ092399 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/29TUbsN][img][/IMG]
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1062  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:28 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 12,813
Was out taking pics of the growing Metrotown Skyline.

Kingsway now has the first hints of a canyon forming.

Obviously is will still take a good decade or two of continued growth to fully bulk up to a true canyon.

Growing Kingsway Canyon by Ian, on Flickr
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1063  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:00 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,407
[IMG]Toronto by Stephan Zieger, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Toronto by Stephan Zieger, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Toronto by Stephan Zieger, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Toronto by Stephan Zieger, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Toronto by Stephan Zieger, on Flickr[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1064  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 1:50 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,422
Notre-Dame street, Old Montreal.


Credit photo: arman_ayva on Instagram
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1065  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:13 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is online now
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 12,118
N-D is my favourite canyon in Canada, period. It will be that much better once the Victoria and BNC towers (200m) both rise up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1066  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:33 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,407
[IMG]Adelaide by Eric H, on Flickr[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1067  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 5:59 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,407
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1068  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:33 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,407
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1069  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:29 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 20,318
This picture only captures part of the canyon-like stretch but here's Hollis Street in Halifax:


Source
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1070  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:36 PM
speedog's Avatar
speedog speedog is offline
Moran supreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,452
Calgary 5th Avenue SW looking east with permission from and taken be Reddit user alternatethinking...

__________________
Just a wee bit below average prairie boy in Canada's third largest city and fourth largest CMA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1071  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 6:10 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 20,318
Sackville Street, Halifax


Source
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1072  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:08 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 8,749
Nice vista although my eye is immediately drawn to that ghastly 4 floor brick residential.
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1073  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:16 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 20,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nice vista although my eye is immediately drawn to that ghastly 4 floor brick residential.
It is not a great building although it seemed only mildly worse than average back when it was built, maybe in 2006 or so. This area has completely changed over the past couple of years. When the building was approved nobody would have predicted that a decade later it would be surrounded by glass towers.

It's actually 7 floors on the Argyle side due to the steep hill. It also has weirdly short floor heights because it is under a height restriction and the developer tried to pack as much square footage in as possible.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1074  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 8:55 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is not a great building although it seemed only mildly worse than average back when it was built, maybe in 2006 or so. This area has completely changed over the past couple of years. When the building was approved nobody would have predicted that a decade later it would be surrounded by glass towers.

It's actually 7 floors on the Argyle side due to the steep hill. It also has weirdly short floor heights because it is under a height restriction and the developer tried to pack as much square footage in as possible.
It's a common theme that Canadian cities build sub par buildings arguing that it's good enough. It speaks to the culture; Canadians have never been very sophisticated when it comes to design. Can you imagine a French city of 400,000 building that in their downtown? I doubt they'd even contemplate it in some poor neighbourhood on the outskirts. Can you even buy ugly brick like that in France? It's hideous.

The boom in downtown Halifax was unforeseen but that's not what's at play here. We're just awful at this for the most part. We put vinyl siding on our houses, install concrete sidewalks, buy ugly recliners with beer cup holders in them, put up insanely tacky Christmas decorations, and it just goes on and on in every corner of our society. One only has to compare Nuuk, Greenland to Yellowknife to see the stark difference in design standards between Canada and Europe. (I know Greenland is technically North America but it's Danish design.)
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams

Last edited by isaidso; Dec 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1075  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 9:27 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 20,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Can you imagine a French city of 400,000 building that in their downtown? I doubt they'd even contemplate it in some poor neighbourhood on the outskirts. Can you even buy ugly brick like that in France? It's hideous.
When this was proposed there were barely even any renderings of the buildings produced, and the cladding was described as "brick and sandstone". The developer-funded city councillors that voted in favour of it basically thought it would look the same as the historic brick and stone buildings in the area, or thought that the design was equivalent. They were not really literate at all in terms of architecture or urban design.

In those days the planning rules were the same as in 1980 and they mostly dealt with quantitative aspects of the development like building height, square footage, and of course parking. The rules were put in place to keep population densities low (the idea was that this would avoid slums) and to ensure that traffic and parking worked well (everybody will get around by car, even downtown). There was nothing in the planning rules that ensured that buildings would look good and many of the rules were actively harmful.

Since then the planning rules have changed somewhat. A bunch of the 70's-era parking/density stuff is gone and there are some more requirements in terms of design and materials (rules like "thou shalt not use vinyl siding"). There is also a design review committee, and the approval process is normally handled by the bureaucracy instead of politicians (if you follow the rules you get approved). It is still far from perfect but the quality has gone way up and lots of new buildings are quite nice.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1076  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 10:40 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
As seen on SSC ;)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's a common theme that Canadian cities build sub par buildings arguing that it's good enough. It speaks to the culture; Canadians have never been very sophisticated when it comes to design. Can you imagine a French city of 400,000 building that in their downtown? I doubt they'd even contemplate it in some poor neighbourhood on the outskirts. Can you even buy ugly brick like that in France? It's hideous.

The boom in downtown Halifax was unforeseen but that's not what's at play here. We're just awful at this for the most part. We put vinyl siding on our houses, install concrete sidewalks, buy ugly recliners with beer cup holders in them, put up insanely tacky Christmas decorations, and it just goes on and on in every corner of our society. One only has to compare Nuuk, Greenland to Yellowknife to see the stark difference in design standards between Canada and Europe. (I know Greenland is technically North America but it's Danish design.)
Ghastly? I honestly don't see what's even wrong with it. It may not be an exceptional landmark-quality masterpiece, but it seems nice enough to me. Then again, it's hard to get worked up about a normal looking building like that given what's across the street. Now that I really can get worked up over.

__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1077  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:05 PM
milomilo milomilo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,175
Yeah, that brick building is fine, and there is plenty of crap built in Europe too. For example, I just plopped down on the first street I could find in Nice, and it is this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.69281...7i13312!8i6656

It all looks fairly new, and none of it is particularly nice (no pun intended). But I'm sure it's a fine place to live.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1078  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:32 AM
Franco401's Avatar
Franco401 Franco401 is offline
Kneel before Irving
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southside Fredericton, NB
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Yeah, that brick building is fine, and there is plenty of crap built in Europe too. For example, I just plopped down on the first street I could find in Nice, and it is this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.69281...7i13312!8i6656

It all looks fairly new, and none of it is particularly nice (no pun intended). But I'm sure it's a fine place to live.
Almost none of that looks new. The newest buildings visible here are probably from the 60s or 70s, and aside from the colours (the south of France has a climate that keeps concrete shiny for decades, instead of getting dirty and grey like in Halifax) they aren't that much better than what was getting built in Canada at the time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1079  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:52 AM
milomilo milomilo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Almost none of that looks new. The newest buildings visible here are probably from the 60s or 70s, and aside from the colours (the south of France has a climate that keeps concrete shiny for decades, instead of getting dirty and grey like in Halifax) they aren't that much better than what was getting built in Canada at the time.
This is my point. I'm not one to defend poor buildings, but there is plenty of dross built in Europe too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1080  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:41 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 12,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
This is my point. I'm not one to defend poor buildings, but there is plenty of dross built in Europe too.
Yeah, I feel that Europe (especially contemporary) is often way over romanticized on this forum.

Been to most countries in Europe, and every city I was in had a healthy mix of plain and downright ugly urban spaces among the charming postcard streets / structures.

Lots of minimalistic structures (especially in Northern Europe) and newer housing projects that looked as if they were prefabricate. Also lots of ugly as sin commie blocks.

Nuuk doesn’t look any better than Yellowknife to me (on a whole, it has a few aspects that are nicer, but on the flip side Yellowknife actually looks grander to me). It is just different styles.

Japan and Asia can be over romanticized this way too. Tourists see all the cute shrines, grand castles, ancient temples, soaring landmark towers, but they overlook / don’t see the cheap track housing, the big box stores, and the ugly seas of cookie cutter towers that make Yaletown look fantastic in design.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.