HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:09 PM

Why does Google maps show Sarcee Trail as being closed between Richmond Road and Glenmore/Hwy 8? It's been like this for a few days now, and Google is giving really weird routing instructions. I am assuming it has to do with the roadway changes there, but whomever made those updates really pooched it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Why does Google maps show Sarcee Trail as being closed between Richmond Road and Glenmore/Hwy 8? It's been like this for a few days now, and Google is giving really weird routing instructions. I am assuming it has to do with the roadway changes there, but whomever made those updates really pooched it.
I think it's because the new realignment and intersection are now (or soon to be) active. Technically Google is correct in that the old bits of roadway are (or will be) closed, but they have yet to add the replacement road sections. I imagine most of their data is automated so they don't realize that they're giving bad routing instructions.

http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte...tour_Jul25.pdf

Last edited by Porfiry; Aug 11, 2018 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:04 PM

^It wasn't open yesterday at least.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
I imagine most of their data is automated so they don't realize that they're giving bad routing instructions.
...actually it looks like Google is pulling their data straight from Waze, where a user marked those sections as "permanently closed". They jumped the gun a bit since the switchover apparently hasn't been completed just yet.

https://www.waze.com/livemap?lat=51....808473&zoom=16

Last edited by Porfiry; Aug 11, 2018 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:44 PM

Can't another Waze user fix it? Seems like it should be something that's relatively easy to do...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Can't another Waze user fix it? Seems like it should be something that's relatively easy to do...
It is updated on the Waze backend. Probably needs to be approved at the map back office in India.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 10:39 PM

Wow, so not only does the SW get upgrades because the SWRR wasn't going right to the TransCanada, so Glenmore, Sarcee Tr etc upgrades had to be done, but now they get an 6-8 lane freeway right to the TransCanada and upgrades west and north of the Bow River.

And NDP governments are supposed to be biased towards "social engineering" etc. like transit/bicycling etc? What happens when gas prices go up and oil and gas employment mushrooms? Roads take up the most land and are much less able to scale. Roads automatically get built/expanded because they are included in offsite levies putting money in a capital fund while other transportation modes are the poor cousin begging for scraps on a case-by-case basis. I see this new council has also abrogated the MDP by changing greenfield development targets. What are the impacts on the CTP? Interesting direction Calgary's going.

How much will this shift traffic from Crowchild Trail and lessen the need for Crowchild Trail Bow River upgrades after the phase one? Probably not much, Deerfoot is still in need of upgrades after the East Freeway was built. It could mean there's even more of a push to do the 8 Ave LRT Subway to increase road capacity out of downtown westbound onto Bow Trail. More pressure to add interchanges to Country Hills, MacLeod, Anderson, Bow Trail, 16 Ave, or other roads feeding Stoney?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 6:14 PM

Alberta's commitment to finishing the ring roads clearly came long before the NDP. Your beef with them is misguided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonA View Post
Deerfoot is still in need of upgrades after the East Freeway was built.
With Deerfoot at 2x over its design capacity, nobody with a brain ever stated Stoney would somehow fix this problem... not that it matters since this is not the point of Stoney.

Quote:
How much will this shift traffic from Crowchild Trail and lessen the need for Crowchild Trail Bow River upgrades after the phase one?
Nobody important is saying it will.

Quote:
More pressure to add interchanges to Country Hills, MacLeod, Anderson, Bow Trail, 16 Ave, or other roads feeding Stoney?
No, not beyond what is required to physically connect the road to Stoney.

Calgary and Edmonton's ring roads have different utility, i.e. ours is less useful for intracity trips. Just the geography of the city.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post

Calgary and Edmonton's ring roads have different utility, i.e. ours is less useful for intracity trips. Just the geography of the city.
I would agree except that the SW ring road will massively alter intracity trips by bridging the bottlenecks created by Fish Creek Park, the reservation and Glenmore Park. I suspect suburban development will boom in the Providence area and commuter patterns will shift dramatically for all SW areas south of Glenmore Park. Stoney Trail to date has been a bypass. The SE segment has also opened up warehouse development.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 10:04 PM
Moran supreme

Happened to be installing cabinets at a home on Sarcee Road SW and certainly the street situation there is the silliest thing. The Sarcee Road name is assigned to two two way streets that run adjacent to each other, one would be the old and original Sarcee Road and the newer one is named the same. One would like to think that the city could've come up with a better solution - Google Maps link.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:09 AM

Calgary has the shittest road names of any city I've known. Not only are there two 'Sarcee Roads' as you point out, but then even worse, two more 'Sarcee Trails' disconnected in different parts of the city, and worse still, three fucking 'Barlow Trails'. And that scratches the surface, it's totally moronic.

I'm sure someone could say 'oh no it makes sense because the city wanted to do this but then cancelled the plans blablabla'. Doesn't matter. Sort it fucking out.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Calgary has the shittest road names of any city I've known. Not only are there two 'Sarcee Roads' as you point out, but then even worse, two more 'Sarcee Trails' disconnected in different parts of the city, and worse still, three fucking 'Barlow Trails'. And that scratches the surface, it's totally moronic.

I'm sure someone could say 'oh no it makes sense because the city wanted to do this but then cancelled the plans blablabla'. Doesn't matter. Sort it fucking out.
I totally agree with you. If they had built the full length of those roads instead of catering to SIGs this city's transportation problems would be way less significant. And people would be way less confused finding their way around.

I also wish we would get rid of the term "Trail" for major roads. This is the 21st century not the 1880s. Major highways should be numbered--end of fucking story!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I also wish we would get rid of the term "Trail" for major roads. This is the 21st century not the 1880s. Major highways should be numbered--end of fucking story!
Yeah, how dare they try to be interesting and unique with naming roads!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with you. If they had built the full length of those roads instead of catering to SIGs this city's transportation problems would be way less significant. And people would be way less confused finding their way around.

Peter Lougheed was a special interest group now?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:01 PM

I kind of like the 'trail' name, it's unique to Alberta. I'd rather it was more consistently for major roads though, and the little stubs and obsolete roads were renamed (Banff Trail etc)

And I don't care what the reason was why there are two Sarcee Trails and three Barlows. It doesn't matter, a road should be one continuous piece. Pick one to keep the name and re name the rest.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:30 PM
Aspiring Urban Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

The city should rename some parts of the roads. Instead of having 2 Sarcee Roads, maybe keep the name for the bigger road, and the smaller residential road can be renamed to 30 Street SW or something else.

For Sarcee Trail, I have seen people recommending an alternative for Sarcee Trail NW and renaming it to Spyhill Trail. Although I think it's not the best road rename, Sarcee Trail SW should stay the same.

Barlow Trail is complicated...

The North portion of Barlow should be renamed to something else, although if renamed, they would also have to rename Barlow Crescent up in Stonegate Landing, a new industrial area west of Skyview Ranch and Redstone

The Central portion of Barlow should remain the same imo

The South portion should just be completely renamed to something else. It causes confusions to drivers with address and other things. Could be renamed as Foothills Boulevard/Road since it goes through both Foothills and South Foothills Industrial areas, or just simply rename it as a numbered street (although it would be pretty boring)

What are your thoughts about this?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:19 PM

The larger of the 2 Sarcee Roads was originally a private road that the Military used for driving tanks from the Currie Barracks area to the Sarcee Barracks. It was literally the road to Sarcee, thus 'Sarcee Road'. The City acquired it in the 1970s in partial trade for land in the Weaselhead.

That doesn't mean the smaller road couldn't be renamed, but since there are houses only one one side of each street, and since this has existed for decades, is it really a problem?

As for Sarcee Trail, I think they should rename the entire southern corridor from 22x to the TransCanada as 'Tsuut'ina Trail'. Since that corridor will be Tsuut'ina Trail from Glenmore to 146th Ave, they might as well embrace the name for the whole corridor and eliminate the whole '2 roads that don't connect' thing.

I also like the 'Trail' nomenclature. It's a nod to our history, and some of those roads were among the most important infrastructure in our emerging province when they were created.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Peter Lougheed was a special interest group now?
What did he have to do with what I mentioned? The use of "Trail" came about long before him and I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with road stopping and ending.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalHawk View Post
The city should rename some parts of the roads. Instead of having 2 Sarcee Roads, maybe keep the name for the bigger road, and the smaller residential road can be renamed to 30 Street SW or something else.

For Sarcee Trail, I have seen people recommending an alternative for Sarcee Trail NW and renaming it to Spyhill Trail. Although I think it's not the best road rename, Sarcee Trail SW should stay the same.

Barlow Trail is complicated...

The North portion of Barlow should be renamed to something else, although if renamed, they would also have to rename Barlow Crescent up in Stonegate Landing, a new industrial area west of Skyview Ranch and Redstone

The Central portion of Barlow should remain the same imo

The South portion should just be completely renamed to something else. It causes confusions to drivers with address and other things. Could be renamed as Foothills Boulevard/Road since it goes through both Foothills and South Foothills Industrial areas, or just simply rename it as a numbered street (although it would be pretty boring)

What are your thoughts about this?
No complaints from me, honestly though I don't care what they are named as long as there is only one of each road and it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
The larger of the 2 Sarcee Roads was originally a private road that the Military used for driving tanks from the Currie Barracks area to the Sarcee Barracks. It was literally the road to Sarcee, thus 'Sarcee Road'. The City acquired it in the 1970s in partial trade for land in the Weaselhead.

That doesn't mean the smaller road couldn't be renamed, but since there are houses only one one side of each street, and since this has existed for decades, is it really a problem?

As for Sarcee Trail, I think they should rename the entire southern corridor from 22x to the TransCanada as 'Tsuut'ina Trail'. Since that corridor will be Tsuut'ina Trail from Glenmore to 146th Ave, they might as well embrace the name for the whole corridor and eliminate the whole '2 roads that don't connect' thing.

I also like the 'Trail' nomenclature. It's a nod to our history, and some of those roads were among the most important infrastructure in our emerging province when they were created.
The Tsuut'ina Trail idea for Sarcee makes the most sense though - so it won't happen. Keeping Glenmore continuous through to Highway 8 would make sense too, seeing as the Stoney designation is already broken.

On a side note - does anyone know the history of Peigan Trail? It seems like the most pointless of the trails, neither being very important nor going anywhere in particular. A more appropriate name, IMO, would be 42 Ave. (Which, now I think about it has the same problem I'm talking about, replicated across all the number streets and aves over the city - but somehow that doesn't bother me).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
What did he have to do with what I mentioned? The use of "Trail" came about long before him and I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with road stopping and ending.
Oh, he messed up road alignment all over the place by interfering in the city's plans for roads over Fish Creek.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure