HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 10:49 AM
Living between provinces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Given the number of times Blue Line extension has been promised I am not gonna count it until shovels are in the ground, and note REM only ADDS 23 stations since 3 are interchanges
As a huge transit geek, remove all other cities where construction hasn't started then. (Calgary, Ottawa phase 2...).

REM are different stations then metro. It's akin to Paris RER/Metro stations, while interchanges they're separate.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitoe View Post
You're referring to a bus trip from Cloverdale to City Hall, right? If so, it's still a flat fare, and riders would only need to buy a $93 5km monthly pass. And, anyone travelling one or two stations between zone boundaries would definitely see a fare decline.
How do you figure they only need a 5km bus pass. Cloverdale and White Rock/SS will require the higher fares due to the distance. People from SS going to their own City Hall are looking at an 80% fare increase overnight. Hell even people from Newton exchange will see their fare to SC Station will see their fares go from $93 to $125 overnight.

This is a ripoff and, as usual, hurts the suburban areas and lower income the most. Distances between work/home/shopping etc are naturally in the suburbs and incomes are lower because due to Vancouver`s sky high real estate/rentals, few have the option of working right near where they work.

Nearly everyone is going to see a whopping fare increase except for the wealthy who live right near downtown and even they will only break even.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Was it really lost due to NIMBYism? The wiki page suggests that Brampton council felt that the number of riders along the Brampton stretch of the route was too low to justify such an investment and that they wanted to spend their funds on the most useful route within Brampton rather than just go along with that one due to Mississauga pushing it on them.
The province was paying for all the costs so the cost from the point of view of a Brampton citizen is irrelevant. The province shouldn't have caved.. squabbles of self-centred cities who can't understand they form part of a city-region shouldn't get in the way of an integrated logical transit network.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
How do you figure they only need a 5km bus pass. Cloverdale and White Rock/SS will require the higher fares due to the distance. People from SS going to their own City Hall are looking at an 80% fare increase overnight. Hell even people from Newton exchange will see their fare to SC Station will see their fares go from $93 to $125 overnight.

This is a ripoff and, as usual, hurts the suburban areas and lower income the most. Distances between work/home/shopping etc are naturally in the suburbs and incomes are lower because due to Vancouver`s sky high real estate/rentals, few have the option of working right near where they work.

Nearly everyone is going to see a whopping fare increase except for the wealthy who live right near downtown and even they will only break even.
You forget that buses are staying one-zone.

And the extra 10 cents at a time on SkyTrain will be canceled out by people who are no longer paying double to go from Bridgeport to Marine Drive.

TransLink claims this will be revenue neutral; you say it won't. We'll see soon enough.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 4:35 AM

^^^ Thanks for clarifying. I didn`t realize all buses only fares will remain $93. Now it makes a bit more sense. Still if this is the case going from Lion`s Bay to Aldergrove for the same price as going from the West End to downtown doesn`t qualify as fare-by-distance.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 5:46 AM

Quote:
^^^ Thanks for clarifying. I didn`t realize all buses only fares will remain $93. Now it makes a bit more sense. Still if this is the case going from Lion`s Bay to Aldergrove for the same price as going from the West End to downtown doesn`t qualify as fare-by-distance.
I agree. They asked about bus-distance fares in the consultation (I think I took like 4 separate surveys over the course of a year) but people didn't want it. TransLink says it's something they may still look into in the future though (all here if you actually wanna read it: https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Doc...B0D51BD9ABB225). The link has a lot of detail on what users would pay more, which would pay less, and the percentages of each too.

Also, as far as I know, there won't be bus only fares. The base monthly pass will be unlimited bus and 5km on SkyTrain.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 2:31 PM

Did Translink ever fix the tap off part of its card? May be a technical problem of increasing dwell time too much more than anything else.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The province was paying for all the costs so the cost from the point of view of a Brampton citizen is irrelevant. The province shouldn't have caved.. squabbles of self-centred cities who can't understand they form part of a city-region shouldn't get in the way of an integrated logical transit network.
This is indeed unfortunate, since the full line serving both Brampton and Mississauga would have connected three GO lines. Now we have a disconnect at the north end and a rather illogical terminus. What was Brampton's concern? I thought they were considering different routings but it now seems that they have rejected rail entirely, which is plain stupid, when the money was coming from the higher level of governments. If Patrick Brown is running for mayor of Brampton, what is his position on this project?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:03 PM
Electrical Engineer

Any news on VIA hfr?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Any news on VIA hfr?
Shelved? I have not heard anything. The last I heard was that federal government wanted VIA to conduct a study to better determine cost and viability.

For myself as an Ottawan, this will be a transportation game changer. There is already pent up demand especially on the Ottawa-Toronto route and the key part of this plan will speed up service between the two cities, making it more competitive than car travel between the two cities and at very competitive with airline travel. I could see it as a viable alternative to short haul flights with connections at Pearson now that UPX also exists.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Any news on VIA hfr?
$8 million from 2018-2021 for a Transport Canada in-depth assessment of the VIA Rail high-frequency rail proposal.

(control-f VIA Rail here: https://www.budget.gc.ca/2018/docs/plan/anx-02-en.html )

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:36 PM
As seen on SSC ;)

Oh FFS just get on with it already. What's with these endlessly drawn out processes filled with studies analyses and assessments? Obviously some analysis is needed but at the rate things seem to be happening with this, it seems like like a delay tactic. Just a way to get credit for appearing to be doing something without having to commit to much actual funding. Am i being to cynical here?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
$8 million from 2018-2021 for a Transport Canada in-depth assessment of the VIA Rail high-frequency rail proposal.

(control-f VIA Rail here: https://www.budget.gc.ca/2018/docs/plan/anx-02-en.html )
Talk about a drawn out process for spending very little money.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Lions Bay to Aldergrove is only the same price if you takes bus all the way. And you must be crazy for taking bus in order to save that $2.50... the whole trip will take over 5 hours!

Also, it is impossible to go from Lions Bay to Aldergrove with just 1 ticket too. If you are taking the bus-only route, most likely you'll need 3 tickets*.

* I know there's a way you can fit this trip within 2 tickets, but this involves a few very tight connection (0 min of transfer time), and abuse the rounding in the ticket so you can get an extra 5 minute for one of the transfer

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 11:35 PM
I'm the bear on the right

First, it was Seth Rogen doing announcements for Translink, now its Terry from FUBAR wanting to do the same for Calgary Transit:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 3:13 AM

A few from Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Some new pics from the city:

Hurdman

Lyon or Parliament (not sure)

Pimisi

https://twitter.com/ottawacity/statu...89266833633281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 4:39 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

This was hilarious. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
First, it was Seth Rogen doing announcements for Translink, now its Terry from FUBAR wanting to do the same for Calgary Transit:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 2:01 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Oh FFS just get on with it already. What's with these endlessly drawn out processes filled with studies analyses and assessments? Obviously some analysis is needed but at the rate things seem to be happening with this, it seems like like a delay tactic. Just a way to get credit for appearing to be doing something without having to commit to much actual funding. Am i being to cynical here?
I thought I was the only one frustrated with these endless studies, discussions, consultations, votes, etc. I suppose a lot of people would be out of work if we streamlined the process.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 6:32 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I thought I was the only one frustrated with these endless studies, discussions, consultations, votes, etc. I suppose a lot of people would be out of work if we streamlined the process.
It helps create Canadian public-sector jobs, aka “good jobs in our community”.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada