HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:42 PM

Looks like a scene from a post-apocalyptic movie set in Newfoundland.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:44 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Rural Newfoundland is pretty near to post-apocalyptic at this stage.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
They could call it "Memorial Day" and have it directed by Roland Emmerich.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
They could call it "Memorial Day" and have it directed by Roland Emmerich.
You. I like you.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 10:14 PM

When can I see a real 4 lanes highway at Rimouski ? The bridge was built for it :/
https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.43969...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeel View Post
When can I see a real 4 lanes highway at Rimouski ? The bridge was built for it :/
https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.43969...7i13312!8i6656

I heard that bridging the gap between the 2 sections of A20 is no longer financially feasible...? If that’s the case, it’s really hard to see the widening happening. Even if that isn’t the case, one will have to wait until work on Route 185 is finished because that road is too important.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I heard that bridging the gap between the 2 sections of A20 is no longer financially feasible...? If that’s the case, it’s really hard to see the widening happening. Even if that isn’t the case, one will have to wait until work on Route 185 is finished because that road is too important.
Yeah, they retired the A20 from Quebec Structure Program to benefit of prolongation A85. Our Prime minister promize to built the entire A20 if he will be elected in october, but a bridge of 600M$ on Trois Pistoles river to continue construction was one of the problems :/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, they retired the A20 from Quebec Structure Program to benefit of prolongation A85. Our Prime minister promize to built the entire A20 if he will be elected in october, but a bridge of 600M$ on Trois Pistoles river to continue construction was one of the problems :/
I just took a look at the map. MTQ might be better off joining A20 with Route 132 west of Rivière-Trois-Pistoles, then widening and dividing Route 132 all the way to east of Trois-Pistoles. Nearby properties will either have to be expropriated or accessed with service roads and interchanges.

Il faudra déménager beaucoup de propriétés.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I just took a look at the map. MTQ might be better off joining A20 with Route 132 west of Rivière-Trois-Pistoles, then widening and dividing Route 132 all the way to east of Trois-Pistoles. Nearby properties will either have to be expropriated or accessed with service roads and interchanges.

Il faudra déménager beaucoup de propriétés.
Yeah but the Route 132 is the only link cross the river, so if an accident arrive at this place, no other road exist and an shop (Fromagerie des Basques) on 2 side of 132 at east of river causes long traffic jam during summer and it's dangerous for people want to cross the road. A prolongation of the highway move the traffic from 132 to A20. With our Goverment, i think your idea was the most realisable, and i don't say no to dividing the 132

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 1:01 AM

It remains to see if it's possible to cheaply extend Rue Leclerc across the river so Route 132 can become Autoroute 20.

If yes, MTQ can possibly even prolong that service road along the railway, and extend Route à Coeur under Route 132/Autoroute 20 to join it. Yea around Fromagerie des Basques, the highway will be on an overpass, then come down and join the current route near Rue du Chanoine-Côté.

Then, what A20 will look like in Rivière-Trois-Pistoles will be what A85 looks like in St. Antonin.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
It remains to see if it's possible to cheaply extend Rue Leclerc across the river so Route 132 can become Autoroute 20.

If yes, MTQ can possibly even prolong that service road along the railway, and extend Route à Coeur under Route 132/Autoroute 20 to join it. Yea around Fromagerie des Basques, the highway will be on an overpass, then come down and join the current route near Rue du Chanoine-Côté.

Then, what A20 will look like in Rivière-Trois-Pistoles will be what A85 looks like in St. Antonin.
Yeah, there is a way to made the A20 a bit more in north, for build a small bridge, not to pass on moutain at south, and pay less to had the same thing.
Also because of the 2 lane highway at this place it was more easy to transform 132 to A20, the bridge was not build in this regions to make a 4 lanes highway.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:34 AM
Riki beach

Quote:
Nice pic, avec un beau Pete de Jacques D'Anjou en plus! (de dos)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Nice pic, avec un beau Pete de Jacques D'Anjou en plus! (de dos)
Je l'ai piqué à l'avantage
https://www.lavantage.qc.ca/actualit...k-4501843.html

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 6:29 PM

R136-O/Turcot/A20-O progress

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 1:34 PM

People, my friend and I will be doing a road trip to Québec City, Fredericton, St John, and Halifax. What’s there to see at each city?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
People, my friend and I will be doing a road trip to Québec City, Fredericton, St John, and Halifax. What’s there to see at each city?
Quebec City - The old city, Montmorency falls.

Halifax - The citadel, Point Pleasant Park, Grand Parade, Shubie Park, Go to the corner of Anchor an Spinnaker.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Quebec City - The old city, Montmorency falls.

Halifax - The citadel, Point Pleasant Park, Grand Parade, Shubie Park, Go to the corner of Anchor an Spinnaker.
Thanks. Can anyone from New Brunswick fill me in for the other 2 cities then? (Ps: I’m gonna check out Bay of Fundy too.)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 5:41 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Thanks. Can anyone from New Brunswick fill me in for the other 2 cities then? (Ps: I’m gonna check out Bay of Fundy too.)
Depending on what you're looking to do I wouldn't overly recommend Fredericton. There really isn't too much terribly interesting to do there unless you're interested in King's Landing or the Legislature building.

Saint John has everything in the Uptown, including City Market and the Loyalist House. King's Square, Imperial Theatre, Rockwood Park and the Irving Nature Park are others.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Depending on what you're looking to do I wouldn't overly recommend Fredericton. There really isn't too much terribly interesting to do there unless you're interested in King's Landing or the Legislature building.
Well, the Beaverbrook Gallery in Freddy is worth a look, as is also the Anglican Cathedral and the riverfront green. The walking bridge over the St John River is also a pleasant diversion.

If you time things right, a diversion into Moncton on the way from Saint John to Halifax in order to see the tidal bore would be interesting.

If you're not in a rush, there are a bunch of pleasant diversions along the Fundy Coast of NB. A trip to St Andrews from Saint John would allow you to see a pleasant 19th century tourist town (the Canadian equivalent of Bar Harbor). To the east, a drive to St. Martins would allow you to see a couple of iconic covered bridges, sea caves and the Fundy Trail Parkway. Also, if you divert to Route 114 on the way from Saint John to Moncton, you could explore Fundy Park, Cape Enrage and the Hopewell Rocks, and enjoy a pleasant drive up the Petitcodiac River Valley.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:38 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Walled City and Petit-Champlain are great, but if you wish to see what it's actually like living in Québec, you could always venture on Saint-Jean street outside of the walls, on St-Vallier St. in St-Sauveur neighbourhood (try Le Renard & la Chouette), or on St-Joseph St. around Jardins St-Roch. The Musée National des Beaux-Arts is worth the visit. And I think everyone should take the Québec-Lévis Ferry by night, as a pedestrian, to go grab a craft beer at Le Corsaire, on Lévis' Paquet wharf : spectacular views on the old city, boat ride and great beer.

On the more touristic side, it's always great to take a walk *ON* Québec city's walls and citadel : you can climb up the wall *unoficially* by Côte de la Citadelle, just south of Porte Saint-Louis. It's free.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada