HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:12 AM
Mr. Technology

Okay, for weeks I’ve sat by reading all of this dialogue about Amazon NOT choosing Philadelphia.

I’ve said very minimal, but now I’m going to speak up.

Personally, 200 Greenwich Street (A.K.A. 2 World Trade Center) needs a major lease to get built and Amazon would fit the bill perfectly.

Major transit hub is on-site.
It’s the perfect location.

But what do I know.

Schuylkill Yards is a good fit, but in a city competition, that is reality.
Philadelphia has a better tax structure, but there are major tax incentives to get 2 WTC built.

That’s my 2 cents.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Okay, for weeks I’ve sat by reading all of this dialogue about Amazon NOT choosing Philadelphia.

Personally, 200 Greenwich Street (A.K.A. 2 World Trade Center) needs a major lease to get built and Amazon would fit the bill perfectly.

But what do I know.

Philadelphia has a better tax structure, but there are major tax incentives to get 2 WTC built.

That’s my 2 cents.
Well unless they plan on making 2 WTC 4 times the size of 1 WTC then it’s not the perfect fit.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:

But what do I know.

That’s my 2 cents.
The moon is sorely in need of a good corporate headquarters and a nice skyscraper. I think they will put HQ2 there.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:

But what do I know.

That’s my 2 cents.

Amazon can and will go where ever they want to, and for whatever reasons they choose, but really, you think one building in lower Manhattan, in one of the most expensive cities in the country, is going to cut it? Is that even part of NYC's bid package?

Not happening-----my sources tell me!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:56 PM

Okay, I've said very little about Amazon since the search started but this topic has gone on for some time and its all based on speculation is seems so I'll jump in.

Many people are saying where Amazon will go or will not go; but I have a question. Does anyone here have inside information on what Mr. Bezos plans? Has Mr. Bezos told anyone anything?

This is what I see when it comes to Amazon and Skyscraperpage when it comes to us here in Philly. I assume we all love Philly. I assume we all love skyscrapers; now correct me if I'm wrong but I think we all love skyscraper. The thing is that talking about Amazon and Philadelphia Skyscrapers is a bit confusing because if we don't know if they're coming here, then we don't know if they'll build skyscrapers here.

If Amazon doesn't come to Philadelphia which I think would be bad for the city and the company because I think we have a lot to offer each other then Amazon wouldn't build a skyscraper here. If they don't come here; they won't build a skyscraper here so it wouldn't really be a concern for us who love skyscrapers.

If Amazon does come here which I believe would be great for this city and the company as well for many decades to come; they Amazon would build skyscrapers here but its to soon to really discuss it because we haven't seen the architectural design so it would be hard to talk about building that are still being considered at the earliest stages.

People, friends, we are a passionate bunch, we love this city, we love skyscrapers, but we see to be talking about a company who hasn't said much on what their final decisions are, if they will build or where so I'm wondering where does this lead and how do focus this energy into being productive. If by talking about this we can bring Amazon or any other company to Philadelphia then its worth it. lets be about action.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:05 PM

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
lol

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Okay, I've said very little about Amazon since the search started but this topic has gone on for some time and its all based on speculation is seems so I'll jump in.

Many people are saying where Amazon will go or will not go; but I have a question. Does anyone here have inside information on what Mr. Bezos plans? Has Mr. Bezos told anyone anything?
That's literally the point. One of the posters claims to have inside info. Like, that's the whole crux and foundation of the convo, mate.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
now correct me if I'm wrong but I think we all love skyscraper.
awww, thanks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 5:19 PM

I hope everyone who hasn't chimed in on this whole Amazon situation jumps in now.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I hope everyone who hasn't chimed in on this whole Amazon situation jumps in now.
Amazon would be cool.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Okay, I've said very little about Amazon since the search started but this topic has gone on for some time and its all based on speculation is seems so I'll jump in................
I've been living in a sort of cloistered environment for awhile and don't really know too much about this. Do Philly people really want to win a contest where the first prize is an all expense paid trip to a Jungle?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 1:24 PM

Oooooh, someone claimed to have inside information; didn't get the memo.

I don't know if anyone else is talking about Amazon coming here; I know we mention it hear but I haven't heard it from many other places. If something happens I'll listen to you folks because most people I think have forgot about it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 2:05 PM

Someone here says he has inside knowledge, true. But what he has shared seems to jive with what other people have heard. Together, Amazon HQ2 to suburban DC seems like a decent possibility, although no one here knows for sure. But it's at least appearing that suburban DC is the strongest contender.

Also, I just want to point that some people did doubt Sayitso's claims from the start; but most others seemed on board until he reported that Philly got cut. Now suddenly, everyone's like oh this guy's full of shit. That's at least what it feels like from my perspective. I wasn't actually taking count, so don't take my observation too strong.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
I've been living in a sort of cloistered environment for awhile and don't really know too much about this. Do Philly people really want to win a contest where the first prize is an all expense paid trip to a Jungle?
Man, you really have been under a rock. I haven't been paying that close attention either, but its fairly well known that first prize is to bring a second Amazon here. That likely means a drudging of the Schuylkill and a reforestation effort for Fairmount Park.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 9:50 PM
Mr. Technology

I’m not biased for any city because I don’t live in Philadelphia or New York City.
I’m calling it like I see it.

There’s a benefit to both cities; however Larry Silverstein has 2 WTC waiting 17 years to secure a major lease with the bonus of a major transit hub with direct building access.

Walking distance to SoHo, what’s not to like?

Philadelphia has a major master plan in place for the Schuylkill Yards in the shadows of Drexel U.

As both cities have much to offer Amazon, they could surprise us and choose Brooklyn.

I’m not married to Philadelphia or NYC.
I personally won’t benefit from an Amazon decision.
But who knows?

I highly doubt that the decision makers are reading this forum, so nothing we say will influence their ultimate decision.

Thoughts?
Opinions?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
I’m not biased for any city because I don’t live in Philadelphia or New York City.
I’m calling it like I see it.

There’s a benefit to both cities; however Larry Silverstein has 2 WTC waiting 17 years to secure a major lease with the bonus of a major transit hub with direct building access.

Walking distance to SoHo, what’s not to like?

Philadelphia has a major master plan in place for the Schuylkill Yards in the shadows of Drexel U.

As both cities have much to offer Amazon, they could surprise us and choose Brooklyn.

I’m not married to Philadelphia or NYC.
I personally won’t benefit from an Amazon decision.
But who knows?

I highly doubt that the decision makers are reading this forum, so nothing we say will influence their ultimate decision.

Thoughts?
Opinions?

It wasn't part of their proposal, so this is just a waste of me typing b/c it's not even being considered.

But...WTC2 is only about 2.5million square feet of space - and Amazon is looking for sites where it can build 8millionsf of space. So unless there's 3-4 more of these going up soon, this building would barely satisfy 30% of their requirements.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It wasn't part of their proposal, so this is just a waste of me typing b/c it's not even being considered.

But...WTC2 is only about 2.5million square feet of space - and Amazon is looking for sites where it can build 8millionsf of space. So unless there's 3-4 more of these going up soon, this building would barely satisfy 30% of their requirements.
Right (and people already said this). Does anyone know what Lower Manhattan sites were contemplated, though? Lower Manhattan, more broadly, was presented as an option, I believe. Not that I think there is any chance Amazon sets this up in Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:00 PM
Mr. Technology

Thanks for the replies.
I had no idea how much space was needed by Amazon.

With that information considered, the Schuylkill Yards seems like a much better fit for Amazon.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 5:13 AM

Amazon in Schuylkill Yards might make for pretty sunsets.
Taken last evening...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations