HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:23 AM
Identity Condiment

Ottawa's airport is the service centre for the north (ie, Nunavut), and the North is a heavy user of Amazon because even with the shipping, it's far cheaper than going to the Northern Store. That facility will likely also be serving Northern Ontario, which is a fairly heavy user of Amazon Prime compared to the rest of the country. I know a lot of people who have Prime accounts, but only a few people with Costco memberships.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:54 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Great catch for Ottawa. Isn't Costco Canada also based in Ottawa?

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:46 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Based on the article you linked to, the outlined area in that image is only the "core area" of just under 5000km2. So the area that's "larger than Belgium" is mostly mountains.
I thought it looked wrong. Someone needs to change the information on the wikipedia site. It says the area of the Lower Mainland is 36,303.31 km2 with this map below depicted. It says core which suggests the area outlined in orange. It makes it look like the larger area is that core part + those bits with the orange dotted lines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Mainland

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Great catch for Ottawa. Isn't Costco Canada also based in Ottawa?
Yes, it is.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:32 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
A lot of us over in the Ottawa forum are a little dumbstruck by how big that facility is.. bigger even than the GTA distribution centre. We've concluded it's likely going to be supplying Quebec and possibly Atlantic Canada as well as the Ottawa region.
No. The GTA has multiple distribution centres. The combined footage is over 2 million square feet.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:09 PM
Dahvie Fan

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/amaz...iness-tax.html

Quote:
Amazon balked and Seattle is backing down.

City leaders said they plan to repeal a tax on large companies such as Amazon and Starbucks as they face mounting pressure from businesses, an about-face just a month after unanimously approving the measure to help pay for efforts to combat a growing homelessness crisis.

The quick surrender showed the power of Amazon to help rally opposition and aggressively push back on taxes at all levels of government, even in its affluent home city where the income gap is ever widening and lower-income workers are being priced out of housing. It has resulted in one of the highest homelessness rates in the U.S.

Amazon and other businesses had sharply criticized the tax, and the online retailer even temporarily halted construction planning on a new high-rise building near its Seattle headquarters in protest.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 5:09 PM

Why are all four GTA warehouses in the west? I found that surprising. Thought they'd put one in Durham by now to serve the east end and points in between GTA and Ottawa. I'm also curious how far the Ottawa centre's reach will be in Ontario.

Quote:
Amazon to build fourth GTA fulfillment centre in Caledon
Don Wilcox | Property Biz Canada | 2018-07-25

It’s not the HQ2 news the business world is waiting for, but e-commerce giant Amazon (AMZN-Q) will build a fourth fulfillment centre in the Greater Toronto Area, a million-square-foot facility in the Town of Caledon, north of the city.

The company says the new facility will create more than 800 full-time jobs. It will join Amazon’s network of existing Ontario buildings in Brampton, Mississauga and Milton and a recently announced million-square-foot facility in Ottawa.

This will be Amazon’s sixth fulfillment centre in Ontario, where it currently employs more than 2,000 full-time workers. It will be the innovative online retailer’s ninth such facility in Canada.

“We continue to be excited about our growth in Ontario and the opportunity to better serve our customers in the region,” said Glenn Sommerville, director of Amazon operations in Canada, in a release Wednesday morning.

“We’re seeing an incredible workforce and community support in Greater Toronto. It makes us proud to add a new fulfillment centre to better meet customer demand while creating more than 800 full-time jobs with great pay and benefits to support the local economy.”

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Why are all four GTA warehouses in the west? I found that surprising. Thought they'd put one in Durham by now to serve the east end and points in between GTA and Ottawa. I'm also curious how far the Ottawa centre's reach will be in Ontario.
My guess, likely to be as close to Pearson Airport as possible.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 10:38 PM
I am the law!

This would be number 5 plus Ottawa makes the 6 in Ontario. Poor reporting. Brampton has 2.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Yes, it is.
Interesting..I have lived here for almost 20 years, and I did not know that.
I've always known that Giant Tiger was HQ'ed here, along with some tech companies, but was I was never aware about Costco Canada..Anyways, the Amazon distribution centre announcement is great news. Any diversification is good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada