HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...nt?oid=9812570

From the looks of the crude rendering the Smallman street improvements have been scaled back, of course :/

Drives me up a freaking wall how no cool project ever comes to full fruition in this city. Terrible
Huge blown opportunity.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 8:41 AM

After apparently dismissing BIG did the Penguins get a new master plan for the Civic Arena site, or will it be developed piecemeal?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post
After apparently dismissing BIG did the Penguins get a new master plan for the Civic Arena site, or will it be developed piecemeal?
So there is still in theory a sort of master plan, since this was a specially-planned district. Theoretically, anything they propose is supposed to be consistent with that plan.

However, I note that in the very first proposed project, what was supposed to be the new USX HQ, the Penguins asked for (and were going to get) variances from that special plan--ones which would have made that block less like an urban block and more like a suburban office park. And in fact while in some ways the BIG plan was in the scope of that special plan, it also changed some things around (mostly for the better, but still it shows you how much the Penguins expect to have to comply with the special plan).

So, long story short, I think the Penguins likely will do a piecemeal approach, if at all, asking for variances along the way to make it worse than originally planned. And if they don't get those variances they will just use that as an excuse to renegotiate their deal over and over, which they will likely do anyway. And the local officials supposedly representing the public will roll over and let them get away with it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:47 PM

My post to Preservation Pittsburgh about the 3441 Forbes resulted in their doing some legwork. They are attempting to raise public awareness about the demolition and the history of the building.

Quote:
Preservation Pittsburgh
We recently learned that the University of Pittsburgh has applied for a demolition permit for the former Croatian Fraternal Union (CFU) building (3441 Forbes Avenue in Oakland). The CFU built the building and ran its operations there from 1928 through 1961 until moving to their current location in Wilkins Township. The Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) has owned and occupied the former CFU building ever since. While no longer the home of the CFU, this building has architectural and social significance to the local Croatian immigrant population and all of Pittsburgh.

The former CFU building was designed by architects Pierre Liesch and G.W. Grange. Pierre Liesch was an associate of Frederick Osterling, who was also the architect for downtown’s Union Trust Building. The Union Trust design clearly influenced the Flemish Gothic architecture style of the CFU. There is no other extant Flemish Gothic architecture in Pittsburgh. The building’s exterior features ornate terra cotta tile that is still present, though the cornice and parapet were removed during the ACHD’s ownership.

It is our understanding that the County is selling the building to the University of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has already lost a significant Croatian heritage site, St. Nicolas Church on the North Side. The loss of 3441 Forbes Avenue will continue the erosion of our shared heritage and the City’s character.
A historic picture of the building before the cornice and parapet were destroyed:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:49 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I looked at that building on Google Streetview. Pretty shameful what they did to the top of that building. How was it destroyed? Was it deliberately altered or did the crown fall into a state of disrepair? They replaced the top with a lame brick facade. It's as if they performed a plastic surgery procedure that went horrifically wrong!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr
Does anyone actually know if they're still going to build the high-rise portion of this building?
You can expect steel to begin rising on this one very, very soon.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:31 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
Most of the units in the condo portion are already under contract. To the best of my knowledge, only four or five units are still listed for sale. And if I win the lottery this weekend, one of them is mine!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
What is this project??? Structural steel about to rise? That sounds awesome. I am from Pittsburgh but I haven't lived there for 5 years and unfortunately am very out of touch on the development going on. This is my source of info on that front.

I was back for Easter to my old neighborhood (Lawrenceville) and I couldnt believe the development. It was fantastic.

Any picture updates are greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also I googled the project but was looking for some background or tidbits on construction. Thanks

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
What is this project??? Structural steel about to rise? That sounds awesome. I am from Pittsburgh but I haven't lived there for 5 years and unfortunately am very out of touch on the development going on. This is my source of info on that front.
This is the former location of the Saks downtown (closed circa 2012), which became a URA property. They put it out to bid and awarded it to a project by Millcraft/McKnight which would do a parking garage (with retail) below, and then residential on top. There was a brief time when the developers tried to pull out of the residential phase but the City stepped in and made them keep it.

The planned residential over times has variously been apartments, hotel, and they finally landed on condos, now called Lumiere. The garage was only completed recently so this phase is more or less on schedule assuming it does in fact start soon.

I believe this is the most recent article on the project:

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...igh-end-condos

You probably already found this but here is the condo phase's website:

https://lumierepgh.com/

The "Views" page in particular is pretty fun. There is also a cheesey "virtual tour" which is pretty much what you would expect.

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 13, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:48 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post

I was back for Easter to my old neighborhood (Lawrenceville) and I couldnt believe the development. It was fantastic.

Any picture updates are greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also I googled the project but was looking for some background or tidbits on construction. Thanks
Check out the first post of page 1 of this thread for pics and info on all of the major projects underway.

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This is the former location of the Saks downtown (closed circa 2012), which became a URA property. They put it out to bid and awarded it to a project by Millcraft/McKnight which would do a parking garage (with retail) below, and then residential on top. There was a brief time when the developers tried to pull out of the residential phase but the City stepped in and made them keep it.

The planned residential over times has variously been apartments, hotel, and they finally landed on condos, now called Lumiere. The garage was only completed recently so this phase is more or less on schedule assuming it does in fact start soon.

I believe this is the most recent article on the project:

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...igh-end-condos

You probably already found this but here is the condo phase's website:

https://lumierepgh.com/

The "Views" page in particular is pretty fun. There is also a cheesey "virtual tour" which is pretty much what you would expect.
Thanks! Nice project

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:49 PM

Sucks that Pitt is tearing down the CFU. At least another building in Oakland is going to be saved.

Walnut Capital and new investment partner announce closing on Pittsburgh Athletic Association building

Quote:
Walnut Capital Partners has closed on buying the Pittsburgh Athletic Association building, a five-story Oakland landmark sold out of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy process.

The local development firm announced it has finalized on buying the Fifth Avenue building in conjunction with its new investment partner, Lionstone Investments, a Houston-based real estate investment firm that works with various institutional investors including pension funds.

“The building’s prime location at the heart of Pittsburgh’s university and medical markets, its historical significance, and the area’s high demand for real estate made this an appealing investment,” said Dubrowski, who also serves as Head of Capital Formation. “We are excited to be able to partner with Walnut Capital to restore an architectural gem and deliver new, best-in-class mixed-use real estate to the community.”

Gregg Perelman, CEO of Walnut Capital, said he believes “the rejuvenated PAA building would be an ideal home for globally significant companies that want proximity to our prominent universities and medical institutions."

The Pittsburgh Athletic Association plan calls for refurbishing the exterior and renovating the interior of the classic building, which was completed in 1911 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The plans for the interior of the building include building out nearly 90,000 square feet of new office space along with renovating the lobby, adding restaurant and dining options, and establishing a new fitness facility and club room reserved for the Pittsburgh Athletic Association, which will retain a presence in the facility.

The project is expected to start by the end of summer and take 18 to 24 months to complete.
https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...-announce.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:08 PM
Ex Houstonian

Stuff in Oakland from this evening.

The building Pitt is going to moronically tear down

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Stuff in Oakland from this evening.

I drove by this tonight... does anyone know what this is? Looks like there is a lot of activity going on

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:45 AM
Ex Houstonian

It's going to be just offices.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:00 AM

A few NIMBYs successfully stopped it from being more ambitious.

All this activity along Forbes is proving we could likely continue to build bigger down the BoA corridor as well, but NIMBYism may prevent that.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:

All this activity along Forbes is proving we could likely continue to build bigger down the BoA corridor as well, but NIMBYism may prevent that.
It's interesting so much is going on in this section of Forbes right now, because the Oakland Portal development has been languishing for - what - 15 years now?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:01 PM

It would be awesome if the streetscape standards such as the granite sidewalk tiles and engraved street names that are Downtown and the North Shore applied in Oakland. I know the light posts and such do but I was always a fan of the uniform sidewalks.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:04 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:

I can't stand NIMBYs. They're good at only one thing: screaming and whining about anything that means progress for their neighborhoods. It's a good way to keep your neighborhood lagging behind a good 20 years while the rest of the area progresses and develops. Sometimes I can understand their arguments, but not when it's something like this.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:03 PM

Nimbys don't seem to understand the concept of "highest use" of a property. Most of them aren't very intelligent and have animosity towards anything that they will not benefit from directly. I personally do not benefit from many of these projects other than enjoying the aesthetic of urban renewal as opposed to urban blight. That alone should be a cause for enthusiasm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations