HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
In fact, I expect it to be fully built-out before Lebreton.
I'm actually hoping this gets built-out before Lebreton- the current plan for the flats is weak sauce all over, just wrong.

Maybe the success of this project will make the NCC and Windmill team up for the flats. More cohesion between the isles and the flats as a community.

By far my greatest hopes for a better designed Capital for such a majestic nation.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:18 PM

Fully agree with you.

This is even more critical for Gatineau as the land in question is right next to downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post
I'm actually hoping this gets built-out before Lebreton- the current plan for the flats is weak sauce all over, just wrong.

Maybe the success of this project will make the NCC and Windmill team up for the flats. More cohesion between the isles and the flats as a community.

By far my greatest hopes for a better designed Capital for such a majestic nation.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 12:58 AM
National Capital Region

@Windmill_Green
FYI, Domtar lands include Chaudiere, Albert + Wright Islands. Victoria Island + dam not part of the development area.
https://twitter.com/Windmill_Green/s...254464/photo/1

Reminder: Windmill consultation re Domtar site is tomorrow Wednesday Dec 11 5-9pm at the Museum of Civilization English & French presentations at 6, repeated at 7:30

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:20 AM

They also bought the strip of land/buildings across the street from Terraces de la Chaudière (old E.B. Eddy building held together by chicken wire and the older one with dormers) that run to Montcalm, right?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:23 AM

I know this map has been posted 50 times before, but it is so damn good.

So, just to confirm, they bought ALL of the Domtar lands on the map right? And what's up with those random Public Works pockets on Chaudière and Albert Islands?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:52 AM
Still optimistic

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to RSVP for the consultation - any hints?

EDIT: Nevermind! It's at the bottom of the www.the-isles.ca site I imagine I'll see you all there!

Last edited by Aylmer; Dec 11, 2013 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:00 PM
Dennis Van S

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
And what's up with those random Public Works pockets on Chaudière and Albert Islands?
Those small PWGSC parcels are old lumber and water control infrastructure as far as I understand. For example, that thin strip across Victoria Island is where the old Ottawa timber slide used to run; though now sadly, it's just an overgrown ditch.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenVan View Post
Those small PWGSC parcels are old lumber and water control infrastructure as far as I understand. For example, that thin strip across Victoria Island is where the old Ottawa timber slide used to run; though now sadly, it's just an overgrown ditch.
It would be nice if the government could rebuild the timber slide back to how it was when it was in use. I can see it being as much of an attraction as the locks near Parliament. Maybe they can charge people to take rides down the slide.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM
Dennis Van S

Completely agree that the Timber Slide should ride again as a key water feature of the new development. Throughout the late 19th century and early 20th, the Ottawa Timber Slide was a big tourist attraction for visitors to the city. Not one but TWO Princes of Wales and future Kings of England took ceremonial rides down the slide. That's the Booth Street Bridge at the top of the image.
Ottawa pioneered timber slide technology with competing slides on both sides of the River - and they were by far the most heavily used in the world before roads and rails rendered them obsolete.
I've often thought a whitewater rafting operation or the Canadian whitewater kayak team should take a crack at this. The controlled water supply and the graded slope are already there.
And in winter? Think DOWNHILL SKATING!!!!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 5:47 PM

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum!!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM
Dennis Van S

Thanks! I joined back in 2010, and have mostly just been lurking since then. Guess I have some catching up to do eh?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:35 PM

I'll be damned, didn't see the date before!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:26 AM
National Capital Region

Big turnout

photo by @ryanpaulgibson

https://twitter.com/ryanpaulgibson/s...15441339793408

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:09 AM
Dennis Van S

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Big turnout
Yeah, I was surprised how many people turned out. And how little actual information was given out tonight.
It told me that there's a remarkable amount of excitement out there for this, that with such a massive, complicated project there are lots of political forces and competing interests at play, and that Windmill is going to be fairly careful to keep a positive spin going and avoid controversy.
Shame though, for a consultation, I would've liked to have seen some actual sketches, maps, or ideas. It's very hard to react to "principles".

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:10 AM

Compare that with the queen st. Renewal open house at city hall at the same time.

@modalmom on twitter for photo credit

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:24 AM
Still optimistic

Ouch... Yeah, since it's usually the same group of Consultation Crazies (of which I consider myself a leading member) who show up for these events, it's unwise to schedule them at the same time. I would have liked to be at the Queen St. open house, but sometimes, ya gotta prioritize.

I agree with the previous posters about the great turnout and the general lack of information, but they explained how the project is really aiming to be built from the ground up with public input and participation.

For me, that's just one of the long list of things they've done wonderfully so far: Consulting the public (what will they think of next ), working closely with Aboriginal communities and heritage groups, aiming for solid and attainable urbanism goals (minimum 90 walkscore, mixed use, concentration on the public sphere, not building with a car-first approach) and being really open and transparent about the process, the challenges and generally everything.

I mean, don't these kinds of great projects always happen in other cities? I'm getting giddy thinking that it might, might just happen here too!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:26 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Hundreds give enthusiastic reception to Domtar lands plan

Windmill Developments holds first in series of public consultations

By Robert Sibley, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 11, 2013 11:00 PM

OTTAWA — If enthusiasm in the present provides a hint of the future, then Ottawans might well have a “world-class” project on their collective hands in the proposed redevelopment of Chaudière island and other river-area properties.

Between 300 and 400 people crowded into a Museum of Civilization salon — the River View salon, appropriately enough — on Wednesday evening heard the representatives of Windmill Development Group outline what its plans to do with 37 acres of Domtar’s mostly abandoned industrial land in the Ottawa River and along the Quebec shoreline in Gatineau.

The developer signed a purchase deal agreement last week to buy the lands from Domtar. Wednesday’s gathering was billed as the first of a series of consultations to solicit ideas and feedback about the project, including what it should be named.

“We’re here to dream what a world-class community on the Ottawa River could look like,” said company managing partner Jonathan Weisteinde. “This is one of the most important (development) sites in the region, if not in the country.

“We will not have another opportunity like this in the heart of Ottawa.”

The remarks received sustained applause.

Ottawa energy consultant Michael Wiggins probably expressed the majority view in saying Ottawans have waited a long time for the Domtar lands to be redeveloped.

“They (Windmill) are undertaking to build a whole new community right in the middle of Ottawa,” Wiggins said. “This will change the way people look at Ottawa.”

Mark Holzman, a former sustained-community researcher with Central Housing and Mortgage Corp., echoed that sentiment. Noting the size of the turnout, he said: “A lot of people have eyed this land for a long time and are glad to see something happening with it. When you look around the world, the most successful redevelopment projects are those that respond to what people want. They (Windmill) have a great track record and a great idea.”

Certainly, there are still a few hurdles for Windmill to jump. The land purchase is conditional on the site’s being rezoned from its current industrial classification to a mixed-use, community-scale development.

The developer’s initial proposals for the land have received support from the mayors of both Ottawa and Gatineau, as well as from the National Capital Commission. Nevertheless, it could take up to a year to satisfy the zoning requirements of the two cities.

Perhaps, though, the biggest hurdle is a thumbs up from the aboriginal community. The Chaudière and Albert islands have been referred to as the cradle of Canadian history, given their proximity to Parliament Hill and their influence on Canada’s early economic development, but they are also a significant, centuries-old site for aboriginals.

Architect Douglas Cardinal attended Wednesday’s event. While supportive of the project, he also said it had to take into account the view of aboriginals who regard the area as sacred ground.

“They are very responsible developers and they are willing to consult with the community,” said Cardinal, the architect responsible for designing the Museum of Civilization. “The challenge, of course, is this (area) was a spiritual centre for the First Nations. They (the developers) must be responsive to those concerns.”

Are aboriginals’ views a make-or-break issue for the project? “I think so,” said Cardinal.

Westeinde acknowledged those concerns, saying the company would not neglect First Nations’ concerns. He pointed out that as part of its due diligence Windmill has already consulted with interested parties, including the Algonquins of Ontario and the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg band of Algonquins. Both groups have been positive in their responses to the company’s plans, he said.

The general public response has been more than supportive.

“I’m very happy with the response we’re getting,” Westeinde said, describing the feedback variously as ranging from “‘very excited’” and “‘it’s about time’” to “‘it’s a ashamed this hasn’t been accessible sooner’” and “‘it’ll be nice to have access to the waterfront.’”

If Ottawans need models for the kind of project Windmill has in mind, they might look at Calgary’s Dockside Green development, the Distillery District in Toronto, or Vancouver’s Granville Island development. All have high standards as “complete communities,” Westeinde said. “We’re going out of our way to do our homework so we can bring those lessons here.”

Earlier this year, in a presentation to the Association of Municipalities of Ontario, Windmill outlined its plans for the area — everything from waterfront restaurants, and public parks to a mix of low-rise, highrise and affordable housing and the refurbishment of some of the islands’ heritage buildings. The idea with the latter is to create various historical installations honouring the area’s logging and industrial history.

Windmill plans to extend its community consultation effort to include soliciting public input on what to name the would-be community, so far referred to as The Isles. In about a month the developer will set up website where people can make their ideas known.

“We’ll see if we can arrive at a name that works that has also got some public consensus behind it,” said Westeinde. “There are some great First Nations’ names we could use.”

rsibley@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/robert_sibley
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Story and video:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...895/story.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:32 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Oh no... not Pimisi all over again.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Oh no... not Pimisi all over again.
At least calling it Pimisi would make the station name a lot less ridiculous. It would actually be geographically relevant.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:34 AM

I hope the First Nations don't delay the project. One of the chiefs is already saying the project should wait 'til they get their Aboriginal centre on Victoria Island (a totally irrational request in my opinion).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa