HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 12:38 AM

Yep most profitable store... I f'n hate that damn store. I usually shop at sobey's but cannot deal with them whatsoever.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:38 AM

Not just the store and its lousy produce and generally grubby look, but it must have one of the worst parking lots in all creation. What a nightmare.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:40 PM
BUILD!

The Lacewood Sobey's is easily the worst in metro, but the worst I've seen recently is the one in Liverpool. I get that Liverpool is a small town, but the Superstore across the street is modern and newish. If you spin the camera 180 degrees you can see what I mean.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=liver...,69.07,,0,-4.5

The inside is worse too. Straight from the 80s...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:45 PM

What never ceases to amaze me in these cases is that people don't demand better? I understand that the sobeys might be the best producing store; but that doesn't mean it has to be a dump!? If people don't like it - start a letter writing campaign or something or just don't shop there. Sometimes complaining can create action and movement; other times (and I think in the case of sobeys) they would likely look at your complaints and say 'whatever'. It's just a shame that companies don't have a better corporate standard sometimes...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
What never ceases to amaze me in these cases is that people don't demand better? I understand that the sobeys might be the best producing store; but that doesn't mean it has to be a dump!? If people don't like it - start a letter writing campaign or something or just don't shop there. Sometimes complaining can create action and movement; other times (and I think in the case of sobeys) they would likely look at your complaints and say 'whatever'. It's just a shame that companies don't have a better corporate standard sometimes...
Weren't they looking at opening a new location somewhere in the area, and that's why there is no upkeep at the current store? This is one of those times where a store should be able to finance renovations by building a 12-storey tower or two on top. Heck, it might even lead to *gasp* lower grocery prices!

A guy can dream, can't he?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:45 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
Weren't they looking at opening a new location somewhere in the area, and that's why there is no upkeep at the current store? This is one of those times where a store should be able to finance renovations by building a 12-storey tower or two on top. Heck, it might even lead to *gasp* lower grocery prices!

A guy can dream, can't he?
I so agree that there should never be vast open parking lots, there should be parkades and maximize the space and build on top. The current practise does not optimize and does not get the best bang for the buck!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:25 PM

Does anyone have any idea when construction is going to start on this or if it has started already?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Does anyone have any idea when construction is going to start on this or if it has started already?
I’m not sure if this is even fully approved. Southwest has a lot on their plate at the moment. I suspect once they get going on the Cunard lot on the Waterfront this one will get attention.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 4:29 PM

When Pete's had signed on to open a store there, they expected to open in the Fall of 2017

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I suspect once they get going on the Cunard lot on the Waterfront this one will get attention.
Do you have any idea when that might be? I haven't seen any news on Cunard progressing since 2016..

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
When Pete's had signed on to open a store there, they expected to open in the Fall of 2017
Life is a constant series of disappointments.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:27 PM

We will all be dead and buried before this gets off the ground...

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 3:57 AM

So last we heard the conceptual plan was approved back in 2018. Now that The Cunard is underway Southwest seems to be remembering they own this lot and are seeking some amendments to the development agreement in order to move forward. The amendments are pretty minor in nature and I can't see them being a deal-breaker.

Case 22896 Details

Southwest Properties - Seton Ridge

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 3:17 AM

Looks like Shannex is moving forward with their senior's campus.

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - In Review - 215 SETON RD, HALIFAX - $16'930'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Care Use - 144 Units - 6 Floors - Construct a seniors care facility.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 12:30 AM

Apparently excavation has started for the multi unit buildings

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Looks like Shannex is moving forward with their senior's campus.

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - In Review - 215 SETON RD, HALIFAX - $16'930'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Care Use - 144 Units - 6 Floors - Construct a seniors care facility.
The amount they're currently building/investing is insane. They have at least 4 buildings underway that I can see in Larry Uteck as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
The amount they're currently building/investing is insane. They have at least 4 buildings underway that I can see in Larry Uteck as well.
Don't forget Parkland at the Commons as well (Willow Tree Tower).

A good chunk of the housing crisis could be corrected by offering retirees a nice place to move into if they sell their single-family homes.

144 units in the current building permit application here. A majority will be occupied by current retiree homeowners that will need to be sold by the end of next year. Many of these houses will be in nearby older suburbs (Fairview, Clayton Park, ect). This one building could result in a few hundred extra units being built nearby within 5 years. Expand that to all of Shannex's buildings under construction and that is thousands of extra units that will be built in older suburbs around Halifax in the next few years (assuming demand doesn't wane).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:23 PM

Southwest Properties this week posted a brief update on the start of its long-awaited Seton Ridge project. This is not unexpected; the company has said Seton Ridge is its priority following completion of the Cunard Residences project.

According to Southwest, Dexter Construction is ready to begin site preparation this spring. That will include notice to nearby property owners about what to expect, including blasting schedules, equipment delivery and installation of construction offices. Work this year is to include road building, installation of sewer and water trenches and other utilities infrastructure. They promise a new schedule for 2025 but expect construction of multi-unit buildings to start in 2026.

I had considered Seton Ridge as a post downsizing option -- it's near my work -- but chances are I'll be long retired before anything is ready for occupancy.

Here is the Seton Ridge site plan:

Source: Southwest Properties

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:31 PM

I seriously hope this new road coming off Lacewood will have a wall in the east side. People will have their backyards right up against this new road. I noticed in Calgary, they have a lot of these walls along main arteries to lower traffic noise to the residents nearby. But I can't think of a single spot in Halifax where this is installed. Hopefully they do it here.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
I seriously hope this new road coming off Lacewood will have a wall in the east side. People will have their backyards right up against this new road. I noticed in Calgary, they have a lot of these walls along main arteries to lower traffic noise to the residents nearby. But I can't think of a single spot in Halifax where this is installed. Hopefully they do it here.
I can't say for sure that there are not any such sound walls, but there are very few if they even exist here. My favorite example of how HRM handles such things is at the top of Woodland Ave in Dartmouth where there are a number of houses on the south side whose backyards abut that very busy main artery. Fences have been put up their along that stretch at different times as can be seen by the varying coloration of the wood. A couple of years ago part of one or two fell down and there was extended discussion about whether they were the homeowners responsibility or HRM's. The councillor tried to avoid having HRM be responsible. If he was actually an advocate for citizens he would have pushed for a proper sound fence as is used elsewhere, usually made of concrete panels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs