HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Walker Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 3:12 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/re...pagewanted=all

ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO
June 7, 2012

Quote:
Several brokers said they were waiting for new downtown developments that will provide fresh trophy penthouses to challenge uptown’s dominance. Projects like Walker Tower in Chelsea (at 212 West 18th Street), where a two-floor, 12,470-square-foot penthouse is expected to list for $94 million later this summer; and 56 Leonard (due, finally, to start selling later this year, Ms. Mack said), in particular a full-floor penthouse, may shake up the status quo, and are likely to draw at least some patient billionaires off the sidelines.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Downtown Prices Are Set to Get Lift

By LAURA KUSISTO
June 26, 2012

Quote:
Top buildings in Lower Manhattan typically command a fraction of the prices of uptown towers, but the developers of condos in a former Chelsea office building are betting that ultrawealthy New Yorkers will pay some of the highest prices in the city for a spot in the funky neighborhood.

The developers of Walker Tower, a converted 1929 Art Deco building designed by Ralph Thomas Walker for New York Telephone Co., are planning to put units on the market this week with prices between $4.5 million and $50 million. The developers are also contemplating asking $94 million for a combined duplex—several times the most expensive previous condo sale downtown.

Following the pricey renovation work, the developers are seeking ambitious prices for the units. Even if the developer doesn't decide to combine the two top floors, Mr. Stern said he plans to seek $50 million for the top floor, or roughly $8,400 a square foot. The highest price recorded for a condominium downtown is the penthouse at Superior Ink in the West Village, which sold for $31.5 million in late 2010. That is a fraction of some top recent sales at 15 Central Park West and the $115 million that developer Gary Barnett of Extell Development Co. is seeking for one penthouse at One57 on West 57th Street opposite Carnegie Hall.

Even before the official start of marketing for the apartment, about 25% of the 50 units in the building are in contract, according to the developers.

http://observer.com/2012/06/walker-tower/

Walker Tower: Historic Icon + Modern Luxury Will Cost You

By Kim Velsey 6/28

Quote:
The Art Deco elegance, the trendy Chelsea location, the lush amenities with brand names all in caps. We knew it would cost a lot to live at Walker Tower, we just didn’t know it would be this expensive.

As of Tuesday night, sales commenced at the converted at architect Ralph Thomas Walker’s office tower at 212 West 18th Street. The units, which range from one- and five-bedrooms are going for between $4.5 million and $50 million, The Wall Street Journal reports. (The developer is even considering asking $94 million for a combined duplex on the top two floors).
Those prices seem a little cheeky to us, even given the fact that another downtown temple of opulence—the Skyloft penthouse—recently went back on the market asking $48 million. After all, the downtown record is still remains the dizzyingly high, but not stratospheric $31.5 million condo in Robert A.M. Stern-designed Superior Ink.

Given that the developers are not exactly giving the units away,we’re quite impressed to hear that 25 percent of them have already sold. But then, downtown doesn’t have all that many iconic, old-fashioned buildings that one might call home. There is an abundance of ever-rising new-new glass towers, but nothing quite like the Walker Tower. Especially since Walker Tower, built in 1929 before neighborhood height limits existed, is basically the tallest building around.

More photos here...
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...ning_party.php

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 3:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 3:40 AM
Bionic Boogie

IMG_5212 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:30 PM

Construction Update. I think this one will be stunning when finished.

(photos by me)

And as bonus, here are some amazing interior shots from Curbed

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 10:49 PM

I had a previewing maybe a month ago of this building, and the interiors are stunning. 12-14 foot ceilings in every unit, and the finishes are second to none, really fantastic. The developer really went out of their way to make these spectacular units incredible, and they are. Sales are real strong.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 9:29 PM
Bionic Boogie

as seen from 18th st...

image copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

17th st current entrance

photo (1) copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

from 17th st...

photo (2) copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
Bionic Boogie

SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 3:40 PM

Posted by Minsk over at SSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk View Post
Cetra Ruddy transforms 1920's telephone switching building into luxury residential condominium

This conversion of a 1920’s Bell Telephone switching building into the Walker Tower residences offered an opportunity to reimagine the architecture of the building, while respecting the original structure. The result is a 286,000 sq ft, new, lighter Art Deco architecture expressive of both interior organisation and structure that is more reminiscent of cast iron or Gothic in its significantly higher ratio of openings to solid surfaces.

While the solid mass of the original building remains at the base and continues to be occupied by the telephone company from floors one through seven, window openings were enlarged starting at the first residential level. Within the existing bulk of the building, sills were lowered at individual sidewall windows while non-structural masonry piers were removed to insert multi-story tripartite window bays with floor to ceiling glass at streetwalls. Newly added volumes rise along the tower where neutral brick solids are replaced by a vibrant metal rainscreen that consists of profiled vertical metal pilasters and mullions and three dimensionally formed metal spandrels,

Sympathetic to the original building’s use of ornamental statuary bronze and nickel silver, the rainscreen is rendered in a bronze colored stainless steel and metallically-painted formed aluminum plate. The micro-linen texture of the bronze stainless steel and the metallic flake in the aluminum surface creates the appearance of two metals that change according to sunlight and sky patterns. Taking a cue from early renderings showing an unbuilt crown atop the original building, four tapering metal spires were added to extend the tower skyward.

Converting this through-block commercial building to residential use required a unique planning strategy to ensure ample light and air for habitable rooms. Organizing kitchen, bathroom, closet and utility spaces adjacent to building corridors in an interior zone pushes the habitable rooms toward the building exterior. This establishes a sensible circulation network within the residences.

Consonance in apartment interiors is achieved through the use of materials, fixtures and detailing that – while not directly derivative of – is appropriate to the Art Deco pedigree of the building. The interior environment is balanced by a resident programmable home automation system that controls the humidified ducted air conditioning, radiant floor heating, supplemental mechanical ventilation and exhaust system.

The adaptive re-use of Walker Tower combines a true understanding of the original structure with intelligent space planning, sensitivity to materials and state-of-the-art technology to reinterpret a rich architectural past in a way that can be valued in the present.

Source: www.worldarchitecturenews.com

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 4:12 PM
Come As You Are

Wow, excellent transformation.

Maybe they can to the same thing to the AT&T Long lines building and cut some windows in it...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 4:16 PM
World Machine

Wow - that is too cool!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 9:04 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1232709

A-listers flock to Walker Tower, a 1929 Art Deco fortess-like luxury condo in Chelsea
Celebrities like Cameron Diaz and Blake Lively are checking out the tower at 18th Street and Seventh Avenue, which has 14-foot ceilings,
two-foot thick floors, radiant floor heating and enormous rooms.

The master bedrooms alone at the Walker Tower at 212 West 18th Street are the size of many city apartments.

By Jason Sheftel
January 3, 2013

Quote:
A man's home may be his castle, but a celebrity needs a fortress.

So it’s no wonder that A-listers such as Cameron Diaz, Blake Lively, Ryan Seacrest and Barnes & Noble chairman Len Riggio are flocking to the Walker Tower on W. 18th St. in Chelsea, with its 18-inch thick walls and floors so thick they can bear 100 pounds per square foot. Charlie Sheen could throw a party in this 1929 Art Deco Fort Knox without any neighbors complaining. Brokers said that at least one Hollywood star put down a deposit last month, and someone else bought two combined penthouses for approximately $34 million, one of downtown's largest contracts of 2012.

"You could basically drive a bulldozer in your apartment and your neighbor wouldn't hear or feel it," said JDS' Michael Stern. "I knew we had something that no one in New York had — an absurdly solid building." Stern added he liked the 14-foot ceilings and setbacks that could be converted to terraces. No building had the Hollywood-script past either. Its architect, Ralph Walker, designed many of America's greatest Depression-era skyscrapers, including One Wall St. And in 1973, the troubled artist shot himself in the head — but was such an exacting craftsman that he forged the silver bullet himself.

But there is no bad karma in Walker Tower. The 48-unit building — transformed by New York architecture firm CetraRuddy — is already more than 50% sold. Prices are more than triple local condos, with upper floor two- and three-bedrooms running as high as $13 million. The apartments are colossal, with spacious foyers, master bedrooms as big as one-bedroom apartments, and a shower so large it can accommodate Sheen and his goddesses.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 12:46 PM

spectacular!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:52 PM
Come As You Are

Would love to live there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:56 PM

I took this in early December:

The brick work is amazing. I wonder when the completion date is?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:21 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

So glad to see that they're doing this renovation RIGHT, by preserving all the art deco details.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 9:40 PM

" INDEED! " Art Deco design seems to be back ' in vogue ', again as the latest ' retro ' architectural trend. Which isn't to say that IT, ever, went out of style. But, it's classic and romantic features are prominently resurfacing in several (new) projects such as Houston's, stunning, ' Astoria ' tower proposal. Great job, NYC, in preserving and enhancing another vintage landmark to glory!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 10:10 PM
New Yorker for life

It is great. I can see this as a setting for a horror movie, or a series.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 11:00 PM

Pre-rehab view:

Source: GoogleMaps

View today:

Additional Views:

(photos by me)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 11:11 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

They did an excellent on the renovations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive