HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 7:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well, I think there is going to be stone cladding on the ground floor. This will be the "bottom".

Unfortunately the proportions are strange -- 1 standard sized floor for a base with 7 floors above and then an oversized roof.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 8:44 PM
we built this city

I'm going to bet on this thing looking horrible. This type of roof is totally rediculous for a new building downtown, they could have just bricked higher than the equipment on the roof with a faux wall. This is much worse.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
Salty Town

The only hope for this building is real brick, better windows and a copper roof. This is where HRM planning whimpiness comes into play. The lot on the other side of The Cathederal of all Saints was ruined by a cheap mock-up faux brick nothing of a building. What was learned from that experience was zero. Two bulidings flanking one of the most prominent buildings in Atlantic Canada have zero thought, style or quality. Welcome to HRM!

Very ugly mock-up............
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...12,280.78,,0,0

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
In that Google Street View picture is the building complete? The grey boards around the windows and roof appear to have some writing on them? (that is not graffiti)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
In that Google Street View picture is the building complete? The grey boards around the windows and roof appear to have some writing on them? (that is not graffiti)
Unfortunately that is what the building looks like. Flat gable returns with tin and no detail. Fake stone base....concrete blocks that will soon leach white/gray streaks. Some sort of fake brick panel that will soon bow and distort, very cheap ugly windows.....the building is a disaster and has no character whatsoever.....and now it will be repeated on the other side......when will this town ever learn?

Even uglier view..............
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.007274&z=17

Last edited by Empire; Jun 14, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
If the builder would have spent an extra 1% - 2% of the total cost on exterior details then it probably would have made a huge difference.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 12:59 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
If the builder would have spent an extra 1% - 2% of the total cost on exterior details then it probably would have made a huge difference.
Agreed, but in HRM there is no incentive or pressure to build an attractive building......this needs to change.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 11:41 AM

Makes me miss the old houses even more.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 11:46 AM

What the heck is going on with the roof in that design? Square cupolas? Really? This looks like one of those terrible Shannex seniors homes that are appearing all over the Maritimes these days.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
This looks like one of those terrible Shannex seniors homes that are appearing all over the Maritimes these days.
That is exactly what this is.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but in HRM there is no incentive or pressure to build an attractive building......this needs to change.
So True! Heritage (mis)Trust of Nova Scotia spends time and considerable money fighting over vacant parking lots while our built heritage is left to rot, leaving no alternative but to tear down what could be valuable heritage architecture.
I have lived in this city for 10 years and am amazed at how many sturctures 100 or more years old have been torn down and replaced by cheap, uninspiring buildings while Phil Pacey and Heritage Trust focus their attention on making sure all the vacant land is either filled with fake stone and precast or turned into yet another parking lot.
While I think the VIC on the corner of Hollis and Morris is a good example of what can be built, it is unfortunate that the heritage structure (registered or not) that was there was left to deteriorate to the point of having no other option but to tear it down.
If Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia put its efforts into fighting for preservation of existing built heritage and demanding quality of design and building materials Halifax could be a very visually interesting city to live in.
I was recently in Boston and Portland, Maine and was impressed with how both cities have managed to perserve their built heritage and in Boston's case how well modern architecture fits in with and compliments such an historic city. It made me realize how bad a job Halifax and Heritage Turst of Nova Scotia have done here. I was traveling with 3 people from Ontario and as Halifax was our final destination I found myself talking less about the great city I live in because it simply did not compare to what we had experienced in New England.
It is time for change in this city! How do we make it happen?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
That is exactly what this is.
That explains it then, I can't believe how awful every single one of their developments end up looking, it's got to be some sort of record.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:38 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
So True! Heritage (mis)Trust of Nova Scotia spends time and considerable money fighting over vacant parking lots while our built heritage is left to rot, leaving no alternative but to tear down what could be valuable heritage architecture.
I have lived in this city for 10 years and am amazed at how many sturctures 100 or more years old have been torn down and replaced by cheap, uninspiring buildings while Phil Pacey and Heritage Trust focus their attention on making sure all the vacant land is either filled with fake stone and precast or turned into yet another parking lot.
While I think the VIC on the corner of Hollis and Morris is a good example of what can be built, it is unfortunate that the heritage structure (registered or not) that was there was left to deteriorate to the point of having no other option but to tear it down.
If Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia put its efforts into fighting for preservation of existing built heritage and demanding quality of design and building materials Halifax could be a very visually interesting city to live in.
I was recently in Boston and Portland, Maine and was impressed with how both cities have managed to perserve their built heritage and in Boston's case how well modern architecture fits in with and compliments such an historic city. It made me realize how bad a job Halifax and Heritage Turst of Nova Scotia have done here. I was traveling with 3 people from Ontario and as Halifax was our final destination I found myself talking less about the great city I live in because it simply did not compare to what we had experienced in New England.
It is time for change in this city! How do we make it happen?
What is so amazing is how the destruction goes unnoticed. The Heritage Trust opposes all development and they will expend all of their energy ensuring that a six storey building like ugly Cambridge Suites replaces 3 or 4 historic structures instead of trying to save the buildings. We are losing on two major fronts. 1- Historic and registered heritage properties are being demolished at will with no one stepping up to the plate to change this mindset and 2-they are being replaced by Shannex type crap. Look at the new motherhouse at the Mount compared to what was demolished. What is required is massive tax breaks for heritage property restoration and ownership. A 50% tax break should be assigned to registered heritage properties and a 100% tax free holiday of three years should accompany the type of restoration that Starfish did on the Morse`s Tea Building.

Here is a wonderful Italianate building that was flattened for the VIC and it seemed like no except for me said a word about saving it .
Photos by Empire:

Here is the Shannex masterpiece in Russell Lake .....O.K. for there but not downtown:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...48.04,,1,-0.53

Shannex new Motherhouse at the Mount
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...06.42,,1,-9.14

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:50 AM
Urban Thinker

That house is way more beautiful than the Victoria Apartments were.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:06 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
That house is way more beautiful than the Victoria Apartments were.
Or even the Morris house itself... but this is the essence of the issue, too much value is placed on specific history vs. quality by the HT.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
What is so amazing is how the destruction goes unnoticed. The Heritage Trust opposes all development and they will expend all of their energy ensuring that a six storey building like ugly Cambridge Suites replaces 3 or 4 historic structures instead of trying to save the buildings. We are losing on two major fronts. 1- Historic and registered heritage properties are being demolished at will with no one stepping up to the plate to change this mindset and 2-they are being replaced by Shannex type crap. Look at the new motherhouse at the Mount compared to what was demolished. What is required is massive tax breaks for heritage property restoration and ownership. A 50% tax break should be assigned to registered heritage properties and a 100% tax free holiday of three years should accompany the type of restoration that Starfish did on the Morse`s Tea Building.

Here is a wonderful Italianate building that was flattened for the VIC and it seemed like no except for me said a word about saving it .
Photos by Empire:

Here is the Shannex masterpiece in Russell Lake .....O.K. for there but not downtown:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...48.04,,1,-0.53

Shannex new Motherhouse at the Mount
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...06.42,,1,-9.14
Empire; you were not alone in decrying the razing of historic buildings; I've been doing that on this forum for years. It's a travesty that old buildings are left to deteriorate, and then 'there is no choice but to tear it down'. But unless there is protection in law, it will continue.
The old motherhouse was beautiful; the chapel was moreimpressive than the basilica.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Many have complained about the loss of buildings like this. Other examples are the houses that came down to make way for the Trillium and All Saints. None of these were first-rate heritage buildings but they contributed to the cityscape and they are for all intents and purposes a non-renewable resource that right now is being squandered.

I don't think the city is sliding backward but it is failing to meet its potential. The Vic apartments are far nicer than what was there before. However, it would have been even better had the old houses been moved across the street and restored or at least partially salvaged. Similarly there seems to be a growing focus on improving public areas like the Public Gardens and waterfront but we've missed out on badly-needed Spring Garden and Barrington streetscape improvements. Downtown Halifax is pretty good but it could be a wonderful area that people flock to.

The Heritage Trust has limited money and little ability to do things like relocate houses. I agree that some of the focus on development on empty lots was misguided but at the end of the day the absolute best-case scenario of Heritage Trust-led preservation is inadequate for the city. Really they are just volunteers.

The HRM needs to step in with substantial funding if anything is to change. Unfortunately the municipality has no focus and tends to dole out money equally based on population. The more important and expensive core is not meeting its potential and suburbs are being over-funded.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:17 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Many have complained about the loss of buildings like this. Other examples are the houses that came down to make way for the Trillium and All Saints. None of these were first-rate heritage buildings but they contributed to the cityscape and they are for all intents and purposes a non-renewable resource that right now is being squandered.

I don't think the city is sliding backward but it is failing to meet its potential. The Vic apartments are far nicer than what was there before. However, it would have been even better had the old houses been moved across the street and restored or at least partially salvaged. Similarly there seems to be a growing focus on improving public areas like the Public Gardens and waterfront but we've missed out on badly-needed Spring Garden and Barrington streetscape improvements. Downtown Halifax is pretty good but it could be a wonderful area that people flock to.

The Heritage Trust has limited money and little ability to do things like relocate houses. I agree that some of the focus on development on empty lots was misguided but at the end of the day the absolute best-case scenario of Heritage Trust-led preservation is inadequate for the city. Really they are just volunteers.

Halifax RM needs to step in with substantial funding if anything is to change. Unfortunately the municipality has no focus and tends to dole out money equally based on population. The more important and expensive core is not meeting its potential and suburbs are being over-funded.
In my ideal Halifax all of the historic structures downtown would be completely renovated and brought back to former glory. All of the ugly 60's, 70's crap would be torn down. In the existing brownfield/greenfield sites and the sites made available by ripping down the crap, King's Wharf style towers would be built.

The result would be quality from the past and quality for the future. What we are doing now is destroying true quality and replacing it with crap so our future is muddied with structures that offer very little to a once proud city..........I don't mind the Vic but in my opinion it isn't better than what was there.

The Public Gardens is nice but not pristine. The maintenance is poor and there is a mismash of species. Tim Horton cups abound, not to outdone by weeds and broken branches that take weeks to be be removed......it should be open all year.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
BUILD!

Slowly but surely this one is going skyward. Floor 2 has begun construction

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 1:00 AM

Just a quick off-topic query here; does anyone know if All Saints was originally designed to have a spire? In all the shots of the construction lot something kept nagging me and then it dawned on me that the church looks odd without a spire, looks like one was in the blueprints but didn't make it to the finished project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth