HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
nice I think thats the 32 story tower fronting wells and shopping base on division
Yeah. The permit lists 31 stories, 400 units, and retail on ground level.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:24 PM

New Illinois/Franklin Rendering

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
that seems quite a bit "off"

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 10:25 PM

Tower crane going up for Tower of Jewel. Also, I couldn't tell if it was just other tower crane parts waiting to be installed, or a second crane going in on the northeast corner of the site. Could get a good enough view while driving.
Today

Lastly, what's up with that "Not Hiring" sign? Is that really a problem where people come up to sites so frequently asking for employment that a sign is necessary?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
It's looking NW from the empty lot at Hubbard and Franklin. Looks correct to me. The building also looks decidedly less like an office building than it does from the opposite angle.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
It's looking NW from the empty lot at Hubbard and Franklin. Looks correct to me. The building also looks decidedly less like an office building than it does from the opposite angle.
Not a particularly inspiring design, but also not one that will even be noticeable in the skyline or just a few blocks away. I'm glad another parking lot River North is going to be turned to dust.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 12:52 PM

412 Wells marketing video. Not sure if this has been posted. You see a little of Hubard tower too.

http://youtu.be/kZNHEZoQviQ

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:05 PM

1) CNA Tower (151 N Franklin) issued its first building permits the other day for the foundation thru 1st floor.
2) Permits for the Pensacola Place (Hazel & Montrose) were issued the other day too. First one calls for 24 new units and renovations to other parts of the building.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:14 PM

Does this mean what I think it does?

New construction permit for the Logan Square towers under construction:

REVISION TO PERMIT 100615357 TO OMIT 1 STORY SECTION BETWEEN TOWERS

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Does this mean what I think it does?

New construction permit for the Logan Square towers under construction:

REVISION TO PERMIT 100615357 TO OMIT 1 STORY SECTION BETWEEN TOWERS
What happens to that long space between the towers? Parking? Open space?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
What happens to that long space between the towers? Parking? Open space?
Bait and switch, never like when these things happen.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 5:12 PM

Couple observations:

1. It looks like 808 N Wells someone broke ground without any of us noticing. I'm not sure how it's possible, but there's already column formwork on the Wells/Chicago corner of that site. Did anyone even see Case or Revcon show up? I was just driving by, but it sure looks like they are already out of the dirt on this one.

2. Crane base is in at No.9 Walton.

3. Construction is imminent at the Gonella site, they've cleaned up all the debris except one pile that they appear to have crushed and are spreading as brick bat. There are cassion markers across the entire South half of the site. I bet Case, Revcon, or Michaels shows up with drilling equipment in the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Lastly, what's up with that "Not Hiring" sign? Is that really a problem where people come up to sites so frequently asking for employment that a sign is necessary?
Yes, it's even an issue on small sites. People try to come up to the site for employment all the time. People will even freak out and try to play race card politics if it's a big enough site. Anyone remember when that retail development on Damen with the Pete's Market in it was being blockaded by a bunch of yahoos who were mad that they couldn't get hired on site and then proceeded to claim that "not enough people from the neighborhood" are being employed there.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
1. It looks like 808 N Wells someone broke ground without any of us noticing. I'm not sure how it's possible, but there's already column formwork on the Wells/Chicago corner of that site. Did anyone even see Case or Revcon show up? I was just driving by, but it sure looks like they are already out of the dirt on this one.
There was a permit a month or two ago for the construction of a temporary sales center. That is what it might be.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There was a permit a month or two ago for the construction of a temporary sales center. That is what it might be.
Could be, the collumns didn't look quite beefy enough to me to hold the weight of the whole tower, sounds like we have a winner. Bizzare to build the sales center on the site of the building though, seems like tripping your own project timeline up for no reason. Also, you'd think they could have built a sales center in the old buildings they tore down?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Could be, the collumns didn't look quite beefy enough to me to hold the weight of the whole tower, sounds like we have a winner. Bizzare to build the sales center on the site of the building though, seems like tripping your own project timeline up for no reason. Also, you'd think they could have built a sales center in the old buildings they tore down?
Exactly - it's kind of ridiculous. We are going to have a vacant lot next to it most likely. I'm wondering if it's some strategic move to preserve views for their wealthy tenants so nobody builds on it and they'll just beautify the lot or something - or if it's a money making move to sell to someone later - or if they plan to put something else in there in the future.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's even an issue on small sites. People try to come up to the site for employment all the time. People will even freak out and try to play race card politics if it's a big enough site. Anyone remember when that retail development on Damen with the Pete's Market in it was being blockaded by a bunch of yahoos who were mad that they couldn't get hired on site and then proceeded to claim that "not enough people from the neighborhood" are being employed there.
At Western/Madison, but yes I remember only too well. 100 people showed up and threatened to shut down the worksite if they didn't get jobs. A very different location than the Gold Coast, of course.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 7:32 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I think there are only really two things off that I can see - they removed the brick building immediately east of the corner parking lot, and they changed the angle of the "L". I think both were done to increase visibility of the tower.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
412 Wells marketing video. Not sure if this has been posted. You see a little of Hubard tower too.

http://youtu.be/kZNHEZoQviQ
honestly this is my favorite project in the city.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Smith did the same thing at 400 w. Huron. We built out a really nice sales center in their old offices...and he sold the building out very quickly. I agree it seems nuts, but the concept works for them!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 10:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
What happens to that long space between the [Milwaukee/California] towers? Parking? Open space?
I'm not sure. The developer deleted the roof over parking last summer, and replaced the garden wall along Milwaukee with a long narrow retail space/"retail bar".

Deviation from the approved plan would require a PD amendment/minor change from the Zoning Administrator, not just a revised permit.

It's possible this is just for construction staging purposes, with the retail "bar" to be built at a later date after the towers are more complete. Trucks and equipment can't get into the site from Milwaukee after the retail bar is built, they would have to go down Belden or Washtenaw which is probably a no-no with the neighbors. Also the rooftop terrace on top of the retailbar is a big amenity to help lease the building, I can't believe Buono would just get rid of it entirely.

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 27, 2016 at 11:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations