HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Very cool. Bicyclists rule. I'd love to do something like that here. I'd even like get a forum meet of bicyclists going some time.
Dude count me in!! I'd love to bike over in Austin

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
A car weights serveral thousand pounds, goes seveal times as fast, and is far less maneuverable than a bike. I can hardly see what point you're trying to make by pointing out that police find it less important to hold bikes to the letter of traffic laws. It IS less important - at least from a safety standpoint. The main reason that traffic laws are as detailed and rigid as they are is that motor vehicles are extremely dangerous. A cyclist coliding with another cyclist or a pedestrian can certainly be dangerous, but it generally isn't as bad as a car coliding with a pedestrian, cyclist, or other car.
While that may be true, police don't even enforce basic rules of the road...or sidewalk for that matter. I will give you an example: Going up Cambie street you will find signs at every block saying no bike riding on the sidewalk. However, 95% of people on bikes ignore this....even in front of the police station. I for one am not willing to break these rules, and take Ontario up/down instead. However, it pisses me off that I am one of the few following the rules...while others do as they please without punishment. I really don't see a difference between a bike and a car, as they are bound by the same rules. If an accident were to happen, surely a car driver would bear bigger responsibility due to the mass of a car. However, it still doesn't give anybody on a bike the rights to break the rules...which in turn sets a bad example for others and creates hatred of people on bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
And I agree that in real life there are many irresponsible/unsafe bike riders - not surprising given that there are no age or liscensing stipulations (and lower entry costs) - but as for bike riders not obeying traffic laws in the pictures, this was a special event, not just people riding in normal traffic. That's like calling people in a parade or marathon jay-walkers.
I don't believe this event actually had any status whatsoever with the city. Instead, it just started. If streets were blocked off and traffic was re-routed, then it wouldn't have been an issue whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 12:00 AM

I actually saw people following walk your bike signs today. I guess there's a first time for everything. Truly amazing. I've seen a lot more bikers than usual the last few weeks, so all those newbies probably just haven't caught on yet. The Cambie bridge is the one best suited for biking across False Creek because the change in elevation is much less than the other two bridges. Also, the wide sidewalk on the east side has a barrier from the roadway which is especially great for beginners and people who fear death (see Burrard bridge), and there's almost no traffic so more experienced bikers can use the roadway even taking a whole lane to themselves if they want.

Getting across the bridge isn't a problem, the south end is. The signs say you're not allowed in traffic and there's no other legal way to get off the bridge without walking your bike. So the only safe way to bike over False Creek ends with walk your bike signs (and no signs indicating how to get to the nearest bike route). It's plainly obvious that nobody cared enough to create a proper route for bikes around the Cambie bridgehead, so it's to be expected that only idiots and beginners follow the rules.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 12:51 AM
Bombshell Vintage

Great pics, great event, great city, and great country!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 12:59 AM
California goth

why hasn't zivan been banned yet

Anyway great pics. That must be one hell of a fun and scenic ride. I think i saw a group of 4 bikers in LA once.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 1:50 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Good post raggedy..............here's Belleville's Critical Mass.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 7:45 AM

^its a start.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
It's plainly obvious that nobody cared enough to create a proper route for bikes around the Cambie bridgehead, so it's to be expected that only idiots and beginners follow the rules.
So if you drove a car, it would be silly to follow all the rules? I sure would like to see you going down the wrong way on a street with police chasing you...I am sure they will be very understanding when you say "rules are for noobs" while you are locked up and banned from driving again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
why hasn't zivan been banned yet

Anyway great pics. That must be one hell of a fun and scenic ride. I think i saw a group of 4 bikers in LA once.

Oh no, I don't agree with your ideas that laws shouldn't be followed. Surely I should be banned
If someone needs to be banned (from this forum and society as well), it should be you; unless you change your attitude.
I don't see how you have contributed to the topic at all; or have argued any points whatsoever except your smug remark.

As I said before, typical bike nut attitudes which don't help you at all....and just cause conflict.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 5:54 PM
California goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Oh no, I don't agree with your ideas that laws shouldn't be followed. Surely I should be banned
If someone needs to be banned (from this forum and society as well), it should be you; unless you change your attitude.
I don't see how you have contributed to the topic at all; or have argued any points whatsoever except your smug remark.
Hey guy, this is a photo thread, not city discussion. Take your troll style baiting somewhere else. I don't have to argue or debate with anyone in a photo thread.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 6:25 PM

Quote:
So if you drove a car, it would be silly to follow all the rules? I sure would like to see you going down the wrong way on a street with police chasing you...I am sure they will be very understanding when you say "rules are for noobs" while you are locked up and banned from driving again.
Some rules are poorly thought out. Walk your bike signs on a main bike route lasting for a few hundred feet are one example of a poorly thought out rule. It's not clear why this rule even exists as breaking it doesn't risk anyone's safety.

Motorists also routinely break rules, especially speed limits, stopping at stop signs and red lights, using the bike/bus lane on the Cambie bridge, etc. Sometimes these rules exist for safety, like speed limits in school zones, and sometimes they don't seem to have any particular purpose, like speed limits on rural freeways.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
Hey guy, this is a photo thread, not city discussion. Take your troll style baiting somewhere else. I don't have to argue or debate with anyone in a photo thread.
So why did you reply?
You seem to be the troll. I have simply stated what they are doing is against the law and potentially dangerous....not to mention giving other bike riders a bad rap.

Quote:
Some rules are poorly thought out. Walk your bike signs on a main bike route lasting for a few hundred feet are one example of a poorly thought out rule. It's not clear why this rule even exists as breaking it doesn't risk anyone's safety.

Because it is dangerous to mix pedestrians and bikes due to the unpredictable nature of pedestrians and bike riders (not my idea btw, it is the reason it is illegal to ride on ANY sidewalk in the GVRD). Bikes are classified virtually identically to cars, where you have the privileges of a car (plus the use of bike lanes and specialized detour routes) and the responsibility of a car.

Quote:
Motorists also routinely break rules, especially speed limits, stopping at stop signs and red lights, using the bike/bus lane on the Cambie bridge, etc. Sometimes these rules exist for safety, like speed limits in school zones, and sometimes they don't seem to have any particular purpose, like speed limits on rural freeways.
Of course they do; however, only a few percent do it...compared to more than 90% during this event. Regardless, the police will fine these people and take away their license if needed. However, they do nothing about aggressive and dangerous bike riders...nor can they ban them from riding a bike if need be.
And the rules you listed a quite minor, and are nothing like willfully blocking intersections (preventing emergency traffic, etc), going down the wrong way in traffic, and others which are very serious safety issues.

If these people had a permit and had streets blocked off, it wouldn't be an issue at all. Instead, they choose to create traffic chaos and become very confrontational.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 9:00 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
Good post raggedy..............here's Belleville's Critical Mass.
Hilarious!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Because it is dangerous to mix pedestrians and bikes due to the unpredictable nature of pedestrians and bike riders (not my idea btw, it is the reason it is illegal to ride on ANY sidewalk in the GVRD). Bikes are classified virtually identically to cars, where you have the privileges of a car (plus the use of bike lanes and specialized detour routes) and the responsibility of a car.
At the location we're talking about, the Cambie bridge (and also the Burrard bridge), bikes are specifically allowed on the east sidewalk and the roadway on the bridge. Bikes are forbidden on all sidewalks and roads at one end of the bridge. There is no provision made at the bridgehead, so very few follow the rules.

Only a few drivers exceed speed limits? Wow. Most of the time speed limits are set too low, so it has become customary to break this rule, and it's even encouraged on some roads to maintain a steady flow. Whether you bike or drive, it makes sense to break stupid rules. Cars are pretty well accommodated everywhere, so drivers don't have to deal with as many stupid rules. Bikes aren't accommodated so well, so bikers need to break more stupid rules.

As for critical mass, it's not the same as regular traffic. It's a special event occurring at a well-publicized time in a fairly compact location. Give yourself extra time or take a different route.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 11:00 PM

Great job getting in on one of Vancouver's critical mass rides! I bet it is a sweet ride with that amazing scenery. Although the Des Moines critical masses havn't had anywhere near the amount of riders as yours (obviously), we've got more than Belleville's

Hopefully these rides continue across the world...they are not only a great way for motorists to learn that bicyclists also deserve the road (albeit, the huge number of riders during a critical mass is a bit unrepresentative), but they are also a way for bicyclists to learn to share with motorists. And, I won't lie, I would love to see the bicycle become the primary mode of transportation for car-crazed cultures...riding a bike is such an easy way to improve health and help the environment.
As it happens, a few branches of Eukarya —plants and animals — grew freakishly huge bodies....One of the huge species, Homo sapiens, got remarkably self-important. But when, to his surprise, a virus wiped him out, most of life on Earth took no notice at all.
-An essay in the journal "Nature"

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 5:08 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I don't know about the legal standing of this event, but I always like to see bike riders behave in a safe, responsible manner, as I do myself when riding.

And I don't know why there's so much hostility here toward Zivan. Whether people agree with him or not, there's no reason he or she shouldn't be allowed to express an opinion/observation about the thread's contents. Much of the value of Critical Mass is to generate public awareness and discussion about bikes, cars, and their respective places on our roads.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:05 AM
Ex Houstonian

Someone ban that Zivan person for being a troll and not know what its like to ride a bike in the city. Anyways that photo from Belleville is about as big as Houstons critical mass. I think last year we had about 15 bikes on the road, haha. Thats pretty pathetic for such a huge city.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:52 AM

I don't think Zivan's trolling. If anyone is it's Echo Park

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos