HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 2:40 AM

My visit home still proves Buffalo in light of the cranes downtown and all the good going on. Crime is still rampant and the Buffalo Police do not have the resources and ability to protect you while you are there. 13 year old kids murdering 13 year old kids. I won't be going back....

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
My visit home still proves Buffalo in light of the cranes downtown and all the good going on. Crime is still rampant and the Buffalo Police do not have the resources and ability to protect you while you are there. 13 year old kids murdering 13 year old kids. I won't be going back....
There were 37 murders in 2011 and 48 in 2012. Rochester isn't really any better (31 and 38 respectively, with 50,000 less people). Will you be returning to Rochester?

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedious View Post
There were 37 murders in 2011 and 48 in 2012. Rochester isn't really any better (31 and 38 respectively, with 50,000 less people). Will you be returning to Rochester?

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html
Although Murders are important. I myself do not face the threat of Murder on a daily basis either here or in Buffalo. I do however like to walk to the store without risking being robbed. In some neighborhoods both here and there. You cannot safely do so.... I live in a neighborhood in Rochester that is pretty safe. My Dad isn't so lucky. His neighborhood has a Park across the street that is a open air drug market.... Where I am from in Buffalo a 13 year old murdered another 13 year old over a Iphone. All the stores and Factories are gone. All the people are gone and slowly most of the housing is going by the way also. So after they rebuild downtown who is going to go there?

I'm pretty much done with New York State. The weather being the major factor in me leaving. The Police in Rochester seem to be more effective also. The Police in Buffalo are pretty much done in dealing with the citizenry.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
Although Murders are important. I myself do not face the threat of Murder on a daily basis either here or in Buffalo. I do however like to walk to the store without risking being robbed. In some neighborhoods both here and there. You cannot safely do so.... I live in a neighborhood in Rochester that is pretty safe. My Dad isn't so lucky. His neighborhood has a Park across the street that is a open air drug market.... Where I am from in Buffalo a 13 year old murdered another 13 year old over a Iphone. All the stores and Factories are gone. All the people are gone and slowly most of the housing is going by the way also. So after they rebuild downtown who is going to go there?

I'm pretty much done with New York State. The weather being the major factor in me leaving. The Police in Rochester seem to be more effective also. The Police in Buffalo are pretty much done in dealing with the citizenry.
This is partially true, partially majorly misinformed and sensationalized. While there are large swaths of blight and continued decay, there are also large swaths stable or improving. Population loss is bottoming out (though after this past winter, yeah, I'd guess that a bunch will move south.) In just about every city in America there are rough neighborhoods where you have to be on your guard and use your street smarts. Hotel occupancy has been higher than the national average - 80% for the nicer hotels - there are 4 hotels under construction right now downtown alone. You don't want to be there, but obviously a lot of people do. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Tedious; May 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedious View Post
This is partially true, partially majorly misinformed and sensationalized. While there are large swaths of blight and continued decay, there are also large swaths stable or improving. Population loss is bottoming out (though after this past winter, yeah, I'd guess that a bunch will move south.) In just about every city in America there are rough neighborhoods where you have to be on your guard and use your street smarts. Hotel occupancy has been higher than the national average - 80% for the nicer hotels - there are 4 hotels under construction right now downtown alone. You don't want to be there, but obviously a lot of people do. I'll leave it at that.
How anyone can live there and delude themselves that they are safe within the city limits of Buffalo NY? That is just insane and foolish. Ask any Buffalo Police officer if you are safe. You or anyone who visits Buffalo NY has placed themselves in harms way. To promote the city as safe to tourists is irresponsible and foolish. The real Buffalo I speak about isn't over on Elmwood or in Amherst. It is Smith, Goodyear, Peckham, Sobieski Street all places you wouldn't go or probably haven't experienced. Have you ever been outside a High School in Buffalo NY when school lets out? In fact have you ever stepped foot into a Buffalo City School District building and felt safe? I'll leave it at that......

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 9:14 PM

my city photos

the purpose of this particular forum was to post photos of my city visit to buffalo, specifically economic development and construction projects, noting the significant number of construction cranes.
I never felt in danger.
jdcamb, you may have some points about crime in buffalo, however I feel they perhaps belong on "city discussions" forum and not here.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstem58 View Post
the purpose of this particular forum was to post photos of my city visit to buffalo, specifically economic development and construction projects, noting the significant number of construction cranes.
I never felt in danger.
jdcamb, you may have some points about crime in buffalo, however I feel they perhaps belong on "city discussions" forum and not here.
I can respect that.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 8:35 AM
Great White Norf

^yeah don't hijack someone's photothread showing construction in Buffalo. It's an update on downtown progress not "let's talk about crime" thread. not cool, man.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
^yeah don't hijack someone's photothread showing construction in Buffalo. It's an update on downtown progress not "let's talk about crime" thread. not cool, man.
Calm down skippy....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:02 PM

since I've been there, another tower crane went up at 250 Delaware, however one of the cranes at harbor center was taken down.
2 more tower cranes should be rising in the near future as the UB med school rises and the new John R Oishei Children's Hospital is erected.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:10 AM

I walked down Franklin from Chippewa with my Dad and Brother to the Dinosaur BBQ. Nice addition. Good food....

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:14 PM

2015, will see 2 new cranes, one for the john r oishei childrens hospital, and the other for the university of buffalo medical school. Meanwhile, construction should be ramping up at the solar city riverbend project.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:05 PM

thought I would repost this.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:16 AM

With all the Construction workers downtown. Everything seems to be booming. I walked down Allen Street. Waiting lines for lunch. Lots of people. Very cool....

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:14 PM

Right on, Buffalo!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos