HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 3:48 PM

What are these things on the side of the new wing at LACMA?

A couple more shots of the building.

Kind of looks like a department store

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 4:06 PM

pesto--

Quote:
But I'm greedy: ban all billboards unless they are neon or digital (or submit the issue of billboards to district by district votes).
These are exactly the billboards that are most distracting and most dangerous to drivers. I haven't given the issue of billboards any particular thought but the absurdity of them is amazing. With all of the attention, rightly, on distracted driving, billboards are anomaly. We don't want people to eat their cheeseburger and talk on their blackberry while driving on the 405. Billboards should be no different. The explicit purpose of them is to get the attention of drivers and passengers and to advert their view from the road ahead to the advertisement. This is an issue that is looked at with greater priority now that the risks of distracted driving are becoming so clear.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:25 AM
BANNED

Safety is a legitimate concern but I don't think we want Moscow or Warsaw, circa 1980: mile after mile of plain cement buildings with no ads or store identifications. I don't think you are arguing for getting rid of Times Sq. or Picadilly, etc.? Or maybe you are. Freeways are probably a bigger concern due to the higher speeds and potential sudden changes of speed.

In any event, I am only arguing on aesthetic grounds: neon and digital signs can add to the aesthetics of an area (especially at night, obviously). Billboards don't (at least not any aesthetics that I care for).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

So I had lunch at Craft in Century City today (excellent food, if not a tad overpriced), and there was serious excavation happening in the lot across the street on the corner of Century Park West and Constellation. I know there were a pair of 40-ish story condo towers proposed for that site a few years ago, but I assumed that they had gone by the wayside. The excavation going on is across the majority of the site and rather deep - 2-3 stories at least. Anyone know what's going on there?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 7:39 AM

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:11 AM

cole: Don't get too excited. My office looks directly down onto the big dirt hole across from Craft. Nothing new has been going on since the fall of 2007 when I moved into that office. It's a big hole with no activity.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post

That looks like an old picture of the William Morris Talent Agency in Beverly Hills...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 3:41 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarLarRec1 View Post
cole: Don't get too excited. My office looks directly down onto the big dirt hole across from Craft. Nothing new has been going on since the fall of 2007 when I moved into that office. It's a big hole with no activity.
There was a bulldozer moving earth and I spotted at least 4 construction pickups and several construction workers milling about at around 2:00 p.m. yesterday.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 3:43 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
That looks like an old picture of the William Morris Talent Agency in Beverly Hills...
Is that what's going up on the corner of Wilshire and Robertson?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 5:21 PM

Right location, wrong building. Don't know the name of the building, but it will be a four-story office building. The site always looked stalled when I moved here in June. But there are steel workers there now.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
What are these things on the side of the new wing at LACMA?

Those are the air handlers for the HVAC. They will eventually be painted bright red, to match the stairs going up the side of BCAM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 11:17 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Another verbal (Kint) update as my camera is still out of commission. The first station canopies along the Expo Line have started popping up at Exposition and Western. I'll wait to reserve final judgement until they are complete, but my initial reaction is that they are uninspired to be generous. The Yellow Line station canopies in Little Tokyo are much better, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:53 AM

You mean Gold Line.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Another verbal (Kint) update as my camera is still out of commission.
Hehe is that a Keyser Söze reference?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:46 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Indeed it is, sopas. You're right on top of my random pop culture references.

Good lookin' out, JDR, you are correct. I meant the Gold Line, not the Yellow Line. Which, if you see in the snow, you should not eat.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 8:27 PM
Ascension

From Curbed:

Quote:
Hammer, hammer: Another possible new building for Wilshire Boulevard. The Larchmont Chronicle reports that the Land Use Committee of the Mid City West Community Council OK'd plans for developer Hanover's 21-story residential and mixed-use tower on Wilshire Blvd, sending it to a neighborhood council for a vote on Jan. 12th. The final EIR is expected to be released later this month.
Btw..this will rise on Wilshire and Cresent Heights. One block east of Fairfax.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 8:56 PM

^ That's great! Preparing for the demand that will exist for dense housing once the Fairfax subway station is completed.

Also, I found this on Loopnet:

It's located at 1030 N Alvarado near the Taix French restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Great news on the Crescent Hts. building. It has a bit of a "snapped together from little pieces" look, and the colors remind me of the old Glendale Federal building in Glendale, but I won't complain. It's high-rise and at transit.

The Alvarado building looks like a real beauty; a bit of a European look. WeHo and lots of other neighborhoods could profit from this kind of look.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
^ That's great! Preparing for the demand that will exist for dense housing once the Fairfax subway station is completed.

Also, I found this on Loopnet:

It's located at 1030 N Alvarado near the Taix French restaurant.
Now that is the kind of infill we need in LA on commercial streets!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 11:56 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
thanks for all the cool project and proposals Downtown Charlie Brown really cool.

intresting to se both highrise development and lower buildings in the future plans for Los Angeles

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations