HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The article mainly focused on the purchase of 2239 Poydras for the lab and IT side of the business. They mentioned toward the end of the article that 301 St. Charles would serve as the administrative and sales force base of operations. I believe the new lab space was the building that Morris Jeff School used on a temp basis.
Thank you very much! Exciting to see a homegrown company continue to expand and help build out the new hospital district, as well as bring new jobs to the CBD.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:45 PM

Tennis -- Just saw on your blog the application to renovate the Jung Hotel. This is great news! More life getting injected to that depressed section of Canal St.

I did a quick search and found this from Stirling Properties. You think this is the same renovation plan? Stirling's plans for residential, retail, extended stay hotel, and parking garage.

http://files.catylist.com/files/prop...Epkg_Apr14.pdf

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Tennis -- Just saw on your blog the application to renovate the Jung Hotel. This is great news! More life getting injected to that depressed section of Canal St.

I did a quick search and found this from Stirling Properties. You think this is the same renovation plan? Stirling's plans for residential, retail, extended stay hotel, and parking garage.

http://files.catylist.com/files/prop...Epkg_Apr14.pdf
Its possible...certainly seems like a logical way to redevelop. Im excited personally since Ill be living behind the building too.

The Board of Building Standards and Appeals permit indicates all the uses above but residential but that could just be they forgot to put it. Who Knows!

Type:Board of Building Standards and Appeals

Applicant:The Jung, LLC

Statusraft Application

Date Filed:6/11/2014 12:21:17 PM

Closed:No

Description

The applicant would like to renovate an existing historic structure into a hotel facility with other ancillary uses such as retail, assembly, and a parking garage.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 29, 2014 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:28 PM

Marais Street

I hate when the street grid is needlessly broken up. Marais Street should be open to traffic all the way from Canal to Orleans. It would give cars another option, and make the neighborhood feel safer having far lines of sight. I see no advantage to this configuration they have planned. There's plenty of green space as it is... and Armstrong Park is a block away if people need more.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:36 PM

Glad to finally see some progress on the Jung Hotel property. I wonder if they decided to shelve the residential and go with a full hotel development due to increasing tourism demand and the very high revenue per available room seen at other CBD properties. Also very interested to see what hotel brand it will be.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I hate when the street grid is needlessly broken up. Marais Street should be open to traffic all the way from Canal to Orleans. It would give cars another option, and make the neighborhood feel safer having far lines of sight. I see no advantage to this configuration they have planned. There's plenty of green space as it is... and Armstrong Park is a block away if people need more.
They were forced to configure it that way via NEPA because after excavating test pits around the site they found burials in the area. The cemetery used to be much larger and you can't build on a cemetery using federal funds unless you notify the family and relocate the bodies...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbydesign View Post
They were forced to configure it that way via NEPA because after excavating test pits around the site they found burials in the area. The cemetery used to be much larger and you can't build on a cemetery using federal funds unless you notify the family and relocate the bodies...
Yes so I'm thinking they did the best they could with still leaving some type of pedestrian path and cycle path through there... All in all it will be a huge improvement still over what was there

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:09 PM
life is good

Nice to see Mid-City businesses expand

Bayou Beer Garden owners plan new venture, Bayou Wine Garden
http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/10/...u-wine-garden/

Quote:
Bayou Wine Garden will connect to Bayou Beer Garden through an arched bridge between the two courtyards (Della Hasselle, Mid-City Messenger).
Mid-City wine lovers may soon rejoice.

The owners of the Mid-City bar and restaurant Bayou Beer Garden are planning a new venture, Bayou Wine Garden, slated to open adjacent to the ever-popular beer hall and restaurant in spring 2015.

Architectural plans call for an arched bridge to connect the two bars by courtyard. Although owners want to replicate the casual atmosphere of Bayou Beer Garden, the new bar will also be slightly more polished, offering “French Quarter-style” dining and wine sipping complete with in-house cured meats, cheeses and ..

Owners have also redesigned the parking lot to add new spaces, he said. Moreover, they want the new bar to support the Lafitte Greenway, a 2.6 mile park slated to run from Louis Armstrong Park in the French Quarter to City Park in Mid-City. To that end, they plan to have plenty of bike racks available, Demarest said.

“We want to bring people with bikes over,” he said. “It’s a great way of transportation over here.”

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:16 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Looks like Marais is open to traffic, although much of it has a big neutral ground to preserve the live oaks. There is a jog around the burial site but that doesn't bother me so much. Plus, Treme and Villere will both go through without a jog. The real problem is the old Winn Dixie which forms a wall along St Louis St and cuts off three streets. Most master plans call for that to be redeveloped into something less suburban, but it's not part of the Iberville project.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Looks like Marais is open to traffic, although much of it has a big neutral ground to preserve the live oaks. There is a jog around the burial site but that doesn't bother me so much. Plus, Treme and Villere will both go through without a jog. The real problem is the old Winn Dixie which forms a wall along St Louis St and cuts off three streets. Most master plans call for that to be redeveloped into something less suburban, but it's not part of the Iberville project.
The Winn Dixie plans I got a chance to see and it looks great. Not sure what the timetable is on it. But it does continue the streets which is a huge plus.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:42 PM
life is good

Riverfront boutique hotel plan gets partial OK
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...ets+partial+OK
Quote:
Developers are in the process of updating their proposal to convert a seven-story historic riverfront building into a boutique hotel after city officials raised questions about the project.
In its initial review, the Architectural Review Committee for the Vieux Carré Commission partially endorsed the plan but raised questions about certain exterior design elements.
The committee on Tuesday granted its conceptual approval of the 80-room hotel project, at 111 Iberville St., by developers Wayne and David Ducote. The existing structure is a former sugar company building from 1885 situated near a grouping of surface parking lots across from the Westin Hotel in Canal Place.
The development would be the first new French Quarter hotel since 1969, when city leaders imposed a ban on new hotels in the neighborhood. The Iberville property is zoned VCS-1, which is outside of the ban. The zoning was changed in 2004 when a similar project was proposed for the building.
Prior to the committee’s decision, members entertained questions an...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 8:38 PM
-

Interesting that they are testing ground on South Market Block along Loyola Avenue already. May see future phases getting moving sooner than we thought.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:18 AM
TL;DR

I would think Domain would switch to hotel for the next building, but maybe they see the rental market remaining strong. Many of the downtown conversions have leased up and the hospitals haven't even started hiring yet.

I really hope we start seeing downtown retail to serve these folks, either with new businesses or the existing CBD businesses extending their hours.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:56 PM

Quote:
HANO to redevelop 200 vacant properties into mixed-income communities

Richard A. Webster, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By Richard A. Webster, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
October 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM, updated October 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Citing the city's need for more affordable housing, officials with the Housing Authority of New Orleans are reversing a redevelopment plan for hundreds of vacant properties throughout the city.

Under the previous leadership, HANO intended to sell the majority of its "scattered sites" to private developers and get out of the business of operating the so-called micro-public housing developments.

But newly hired executive director Gregg Fortner said given the demand for affordable housing and the housing authority's need to generate a consistent revenue stream, that plan no longer makes sense.

So HANO will issue a request for qualifications Friday (Oct. 31) looking for local developers to partner with and build mixed-income communities on approximately 200 properties that are sprinkled throughout New Orleans.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...elated_stories

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:57 PM
-

Quote:
I would think Domain would switch to hotel for the next building, but maybe they see the rental market remaining strong. Many of the downtown conversions have leased up and the hospitals haven't even started hiring yet.

I really hope we start seeing downtown retail to serve these folks, either with new businesses or the existing CBD businesses extending their hours.
Well they already have the Ace Hotel on the way, but perhaps they are testing the soil for design reasons. In most of the renderings it appears the building planned for Loyola and Girod is going to be much taller so soil issues will definitely need to be considered early during the design phase.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:20 PM

Just got this e-mail from the airport, don't know how much (if any) is new info:

CMAR SELECTED FOR NORTH TERMINAL PROJECT
By Iftikhar Ahmad, Director of Aviation
As most of our readers know, the New Orleans Aviation Board (NOAB) has committed to building a North Terminal Airport Project at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport with a scheduled completion date of May 2018. The Project includes a new 650,000-square-foot terminal complex featuring two concourses with 30 gates, a consolidated checkpoint, seamless connections between concourses and a 2,000 space parking garage. According to our recent economic impact study, the North Terminal Airport Project is expected to generate $6.3 billion with job projections exceeding 64,400 (directly and indirectly) after the new terminal is completed in 2018.

The North Terminal Project will be one of the most significant construction projects in New Orleans since the Superdome; creating more than 13,000 new construction jobs and having a significant positive impact on local businesses and Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) in the region.

An innovative contracting method known as the Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) was authorized by the Louisiana state legislature for this exciting project. CMAR is a project delivery methodology whereby an owner selects a well-qualified construction manager for the project early on in the design phase through an open and transparent Request for Proposal (RFP) competitive selection process (as compared with a traditional bid). Once selected, the construction manager is then part of the team and available to consult on the design and provide pre-construction services, including value engineering. Because the construction manager participates in the design process, it is then in a position to negotiate with the owner and guarantee a maximum price for construction. Thus, unlike traditional bid construction projects, a CMAR does not get change orders to increase the contract sum, creating budget certainty. Instead, the CMAR is “at risk” to deliver the project within budget. Moreover, because the construction manager participates in the design process, the schedule can be collapsed and condensed, which allows for a more expedited project schedule.

During the August 21, 2014 meeting of the New Orleans Aviation Board, the Board accepted the recommendation of the Proposal Review Committee for the CMAR and unanimously awarded the CMAR Pre-Construction Services contract for the North Terminal Airport Project to the Hunt Gibbs Boh Metro (HGBM) Joint Venture team. The Nine member Review Committee with members from Tulane University College for Architecture, Delgado Community College, New Orleans Redevelopment Authority, State Facilities Planning & Control, Facility Planning & Control, City of New Orleans, Louisiana Department of Transportation and NOAB, met in a public meeting on August 7, 2014 to evaluate the proposals received from HGBM and NOLA Airport Builders Joint Venture in response to the public solicitation. The Review Committee discussed at length the scoring elements of the RFP, the grading criteria applicable to the proposals and the content of the submissions. The selection process was thoughtful and equitable. While both firms were very qualified to do this work, the evaluation resulted in a score of 787 to 822, with HGBM receiving the higher overall score and the committee’s recommendation.

As we design this $650 million dollar project, I want to point out that when completed this will not be just a building; it will be one of the most important gateways to the world for the people of New Orleans and the many visitors to our great city and region for years to come. I am confident that it will transform Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport into the facility New Orleans has always deserved. With the completion of this new terminal, our Airport will be an even greater asset for the city, state and region today, tomorrow and well into the future.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:11 PM

Great aerial images via NOLA Aerials on the progress of the Lafitte Greenway project. The FOLC project website says construction is more than 50% complete.

Last edited by jimbo7890; Nov 3, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:32 AM
TL;DR

I really hope they put in flashing signs at the greenway crossings... They don't always cross major streets at existing or signalized intersections.
How long will it take to cross Broad or Carrollton without a stoplight?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:36 AM

Quote:
I really hope they put in flashing signs at the greenway crossings... They don't always cross major streets at existing or signalized intersections.
How long will it take to cross Broad or Carrollton without a stoplight?
From what I heard during a Public Works presentation at a NEW CITY meeting last week, they are doing improvements on Broad between Iberville and Conti to slow down traffic before the Greenway. They specifically mentioned moving one of the lanes further outward to increase visibility from around the pumping station that's in the middle of the road so drivers can see people crossing Broad/ Lafitte Greenway. Hopefully they'll do similar improvements at Carrollton or Jeff Davis.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:08 PM

Roux Carre: the Food Port of New Orleans

Quote:
Momentum has been building for years along Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard, the once-thriving but long-tattered commercial stretch in Central City, and lately food concepts have been drawing more attention to the potential here.

Thursday will mark a new milestone as the nonprofit Good Work Network hosts a free, public launch party and groundbreaking ceremony to begin construction on an outdoor food court and event space dubbed “Roux Carre: the Food Port of New Orleans.” It’s from 4-6 p.m. at 2000 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ty-cook-it-and

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations