HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 7:59 PM

2900 King St E | 68.37m + 59.77m | 20 fl+ 18 fl | Proposed

southwest corner of King and Centennial. This is technically still in the former City of Hamilton, albeit barely with lands to the north and east in Stoney Creek.

It's listed as microsite coming soon" on Urban Solutions website:

https://urbansolutions.info/urban-share/

I count 20 storeys for the north tower. Not clear how tall the south tower is, though it appears to be a bit shorter.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 8:04 PM
Hammer'd

Kinda wish we were seeing this development up the street at Queenston instead of there since Battlefield park is gonna look pretty weird by contrast. Really out of scale.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 10:23 PM

Renderings like these drive me slightly mad in that they show no context to the real world at all. They might as well just through trees everywhere and pretend that it is growing out of a forest or just fog it all in. There is literally a cemetery directly beside this property with Battlefield house across the street, not to mention that Centennial rises rapidly here to climb the escarpment.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 12:18 AM

I was waiting for someone to point that out.

Yeah, it's not as picturesque in real life. While the cemetery looks decent and has trees, it's not opened up like in the picture as there's a fence... and, ya know, tombstones.

And across the street they're avoid showing the gas station and Country Style donuts - which should be shown as it's not set further back than what they're showing.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:51 PM

I just realized this is actually 2900 King St E, not 2400 King St.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:51 PM

Any idea who the developer is here?

And yeah, some serious revisions needed here. That is a massive podium! What lies in the cavernous area behind all those balconies on the first six floors??

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:55 PM

My guess is structured parking.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_of_cats View Post
Renderings like these drive me slightly mad in that they show no context to the real world at all. They might as well just through trees everywhere and pretend that it is growing out of a forest or just fog it all in. There is literally a cemetery directly beside this property with Battlefield house across the street, not to mention that Centennial rises rapidly here to climb the escarpment.
This is by Urban Solutions. They're not known for their quality renders. They are typically hired in 3 circumstances:

1) To provide cheap renders for a low budget development, smaller developments and the like

2) To provide a preliminary render that is eventually handed off to a better architect which provides a better render.

3) Preliminary renders to show massing before a serious proposal is made.

Considering this render is coming before an application I suspect it's one of these three and we may see a better render by a better architect at some point. Urban Solutions provides incredibly lackluster designs with really bad layouts, site plan, and often lacks any interesting design elements. They are the Google SketchUp render architect.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:08 PM

I seriously doubt Urban Solutions actually prepared this rendering. They aren't architects at all.

It's pulled from their website, but I suspect it was subbed out by the architect to a rendering firm.

Urban Solutions is a planning firm, so they host the development website which allows the public to access the submission files. They write the planning rationale as well, but don't actually do design work or renderings, typically.

We don't know who the architect is here yet.

The application for this one was likely just submitted and as a result has not been posted on the City's development portal yet.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I seriously doubt Urban Solutions actually prepared this rendering. They aren't architects at all.

It's pulled from their website, but I suspect it was subbed out by the architect to a rendering firm.

Urban Solutions is a planning firm, so they host the development website which allows the public to access the submission files. They write the planning rationale as well, but don't actually do design work or renderings, typically.

We don't know who the architect is here yet.

The application for this one was likely just submitted and as a result has not been posted on the City's development portal yet.
Fair, they deal with that stuff and usually deal with SRM architects. Regardless, all of the renders and architecture posted to their website is of the same quality, so clearly they are used as the "affordable" option.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Fair, they deal with that stuff and usually deal with SRM architects. Regardless, all of the renders and architecture posted to their website is of the same quality, so clearly they are used as the "affordable" option.
I wouldn't attribute that to Urban Solutions being the 'cheap' option. They're a fairly effective local planning firm and definitely experienced in navigating the "quirks" of planning and municipal politics in Hamilton. They're often used here because they traditionally have known how to navigate Hamilton better then outside Planning firms. That's been changing recently though with the introduction of larger Planning firms to the Hamilton Market.
I also don't love many of the building designs on their project website, but that's only a fraction of the projects they're involved with, and rarely do they actually have any input on building aesthetics, that's the architect and developers, and to some degree market conditions/municipal policies in Hamilton which tend to favor this style of development.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 9:04 AM
Hamilton Historian

I am happy something is FINALLY being built on this plot - iirc it was an old pagoda style building asian restaurant or something of the like that used to be on the property..

but yeah a building of that size would be very much out of character there..

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 8:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I am happy something is FINALLY being built on this plot - iirc it was an old pagoda style building asian restaurant or something of the like that used to be on the property..
There was a Chinese restaurant (the Bamboo), and I believe a gas station. I don't recall the restaurant looking like a pagoda though. We used to eat there occasionally, especially when my grandparents were visiting (1970s, early-80s).

The lots have been vacant for at least a couple of decades.

Here's a photo in an old ad:

https://m.facebook.com/VintageHamilt...9870262697935/

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jun 26, 2022 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 12:42 AM

The last gas station was a sunoco.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 12:56 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
There was a Chinese restaurant (the Bamboo), and I believe a gas station. I don't recall the restaurant looking like a pagoda though. We used to eat there occasionally, especially when my grandparents were visiting (1970s, early-80s).

The lots have been vacant for at least a couple of decades.

Here's a photo in an old ad:

https://m.facebook.com/VintageHamilt...9870262697935/
hmm odd I recall what was there looking very asiany - either way it was still asian lol..

I remember always wanting to eat there but our family never did. But yeah this proposal very much doesn't fit here design wise. And it's in the worst possible place for traffic. That and you got battlefield park on one side and a bunch of old heritage buildings and a cemetary on the other side and then.. this. And a gas station across from it - it just feels like a fish out of water.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
hmm odd I recall what was there looking very asiany - either way it was still asian lol..

I remember always wanting to eat there but our family never did. But yeah this proposal very much doesn't fit here design wise. And it's in the worst possible place for traffic. That and you got battlefield park on one side and a bunch of old heritage buildings and a cemetary on the other side and then.. this. And a gas station across from it - it just feels like a fish out of water.
Arguably the best donuts in town are made at Country Style across the street.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:12 AM
Forever forward.

The UrbanSolutions microsite for this project is now live. I'll pull forward the (unseen) renderings and some other information and pictures that may be of interest.

First, some information. The documents indicate that this is a phased project.

Phase 1 includes the northern tower and the northern podium, with the tower being 20 storeys in height or 66.37 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse. There is one retail space included in the proposal, and it is part of the first phase. It is a 297.3 m2 space fronting onto King Street. (the statistics sheet I'll list below lists 356 m2, which I believe is incorrect, comparing against the floorplan)

Phase 2 includes the southern tower and the remainder of the podium, with the tower being 18 storeys in height or 59.77 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse.

Now, the new renderings:

I want to also include the elevation drawings, which as far as I can tell, depict a completely different exterior design than the renderings. I do not know which is the current iteration of the design.

East (Centennial Parkway) elevation:

North (King Street) elevation:

West (cemetery-facing) elevation:

South (escarpment-facing) elevation:

And finally, a copy of the ground floor plan:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 1:25 AM
It's Hammer Time

Twin towers proposed by Stoney Creek’s Battlefield park
Highrise plan beats grassy lot’s rats and coyotes, nearby restaurateur says

https://www.thespec.com/local-stoney...mended_for_you

A local builder hopes to rezone a long-vacant grassy lot across the road from Stoney Creek’s Battlefield House Museum and Park to make way for residential towers 18- and 20-storeys high.

Applications before the city seek to change the former municipal property’s commercial zoning to a mixed-use, medium-density designation, raising the allowable building height to 64 metres — up from 22 metres.

The plan calls for 564 residential units in the two towers and a six-storey podium linking the taller buildings, setting aside 356 square metres of ground-floor space in the 20-storey tower for commercial use.

Parking for 422 vehicles would be located at the rear of the buildings and underground, and exceeds the 329 spaces required, according to documents prepared by Urban Solutions planning consultants on behalf of Hamilton builder Kyle Camarro.

“It’s a good location for what they’re proposing, (but) a little too tall, in my opinion,” said Russ Powers, the area’s councillor.

The 0.56-hectare property, whose past uses include a Chinese restaurant and gas station, is to the immediate east of the Stoney Creek Municipal Cemetery. The city bought the lot in 2013, but sold it five years later after abandoning plans for an interpretive centre.

Powers said apart from building height, other concerns include traffic impacts at an already busy intersection and how the development will affect views of the escarpment. “All in all, it looks pretty utilitarian. It doesn’t look like kind of a fancy, complimentary building,” he said. “It looks like a good, functional design.”

The owner of the Scout Café, located at the northeast corner of King Street and Centennial Parkway, said he’s OK with the plan, which should boost area businesses, especially new ones like hair and nail salons on the north side of King.

“At least something’s going on and people are building,” said Dejan Rajsic. “It’s better than having coyotes or rats there because every night you can see coyotes and all kinds of animals coming from there.”

City planner Daniel Barnett said no date has been set for a required public meeting. “Based on both how the file is progressing and our internal timelines, it will not go to a public meeting in 2022 and therefore will be some time in 2023 at the earliest,” he said via email.

Urban Solutions planning consultant Matt Johnston said the proposed development helps the city meet provincial and local targets for compatible housing intensification, especially with council’s decision to the freeze Hamilton’s urban boundary.

Along with other proposed highrise developments in the area, it responds to the planned LRT line that will run from McMaster University to Eastgate Square and future rail service to the GO Station on Centennial Parkway North, he said via email.

Johnston said the parking spaces are more than required, but at a level that will still encourage other modes of transportation.

Construction, expected to start no earlier than 2024 because of the need for zoning and site-plan approvals, will also include road improvements at the builder’s expense to lessen traffic impacts, he said.

“We look forward to working with (the) incoming ward councillor, staff and the public through the remaining application process,” Johnston said, alluding to the Oct. 24 municipal election race to replace Powers, who isn’t running.

Urban Solutions’ webpage on the proposal features 27 documents, including studies on transportation, noise, shadow, wind and environmental impacts.

They show the development will proceed in two phases, starting with the 20-storey tower closest to the corner of King and Centennial, and conclude it won’t negatively affect the Battlefield House Museum and Park or adjacent cemetery.

Archeological assessments also found no evidence of grave shafts or cemetery features on the property.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:19 PM

2900 King St E | ?m | 20 fl+ ? fl | Proposed -> 2900 King St E | 68.37m + 59.77m | 20 fl+ 18 fl | Proposed

Page 19

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 11:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thanks! I've updated the title.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton