HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 8:42 PM

EnviroMission Solar Tower/ Arizona Desert/ 2500 FT+

EnviroMission of Australia couldn't get their solar updraft tower done in Australia, so they have turned to Arizona to build their tower. The concept is simple. A large (5500 acre) circular greenhouse has a slight slope from 10 feet at the edge to 50 feet in the center in a low cone shape. A 2500 foot plus hollow concrete cylindrical tower is placed at the center. The greenhouse heats the air around the edge of the tower and it rushes towards the center as it rises. Hot air rises. The taller the tower, the faster the air rises due to the suction created by the chimney effect. A series of wind turbines placed at the base of the tower harness the energy of the wind that is created. Also, the change in temperature between day and night would actually allow the tower to operate, albeit at a lower capacity, when the sun sets. The temperature of the ground is almost never the same as the air temperature. Also, after the tower is built it will not have a negative impact on the environment since the same amount of heat will fall on the site whether it is built or not, so it won't contribute to global warming after it is built!

They already have a 200 MW power purchase agreement with the Southern California Public Power Authority and they say that they will have a final design between March and June of 2012.

Follow the link for the article.
http://www.enviromission.com.au/irm/.../TallVisionary

There is also a Wikipedia article on the company and the project.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviromission

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 10:21 PM

This can't be a feasible source of energy.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:25 PM

The FAA would most certainly shorten the height of this structure to 2,000 feet.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
It is a feasible source of energy. A 50 kW test tower was built in Manzanares, Spain in 1982. Unfortunately, it was only built as a temporary facility and operated continuously until it's guy-wires that weren't corrosion resistant failed in 1989 and the 640 foot/ 195 meter tower fell over.

Also, a 200 kW tower was built in Jinshawan, China in the Mongolian Desert that was completed in December 2010.

View the Wikipedia article for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 4:27 AM

Financining commitment for Solar Tower

Quote:
EnviroMission Solar Tower
Project Finance Commitment
EnviroMission Limited (ASX: EVM) (OTCQX: EVOMY) has received a formal commitment to
provide the entire development and construction capital for EnviroMission’s first Solar Tower
power station being developed in La Paz County Arizona to deliver the terms of a power
purchase agreement with the Southern California Public Power Authority (SCPPA).
The financing is subject to the due diligence and the acceptance of related banking instruments
by EnviroMission’s legal advisors and bankers.
Subject to EnviroMission’s due diligence the funding commitment will form the basis of the
ongoing financing for the development of Australian Solar Tower power stations in the US, and
other global markets, including Australia.
Roger Davey, EnviroMission CEO said “the proposed financing is 100% pure equity, no debt, with
the investor proposing to take a majority interest in the La Paz Solar Tower without dilution to
EnviroMission’s issued capital.”

EnviroMission expects to be able to inform the market of the final terms and timing of the
financing early in 2012.
EnviroMission’s Australian Solar Tower intellectual property was independently valued at AUD$60M
(January 2011).
http://www.enviromission.com.au/irm/...anceCommitment

This means that funding for the entire project, and not just a loan, will be received soon, but the details will be available in a couple of months. This is about the biggest piece of positive information for the project besides the Power Purchase Agreement to buy all of the power produced by the solar tower. If this goes ahead, this tower will be the tallest Freestanding tower in the world and will be the second tallest structure in the world. It is planned to rise 2500 feet and it will have the highest observation deck in the world, at the top at 2500 feet! It will be accessed by several special elevators that will travel horizontally like a tramway then vertically up the side of the hollow cylindrical tower.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
My thoughts exactly!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
My thoughts exactly!
If it weren't feasible it wouldn't have gotten funding, and it has, but it's funding chooses to stay anonymous. I've looked at the designs and they seem pretty solid. The question seems to be how cost effective it'll be compared to other systems, not if it'll work. Google the tower, it's a very simple, very intuitive design.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 7:13 AM

I read that construction starts this year.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:12 AM
Khurram Parvaz

If anywhere a 2000 footer is possible in the U.S without any concerns about shadows, space, height, feasibility, and shadows its Arizona. Other than that FAA obstacle this could more than come to fruition.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Wow, a global height limit of 2000ft in this day and age? Wake up America.. First all those idiotic restrictions on trains, and now I hear of this ridiculous limitation? I don't know of other countries that have such a law.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 5:31 AM

The 2000' law has been around for a long time. That rule would need to be changed in this area to do this project. The location is south of Page and north of Quartzsite and to the west of 95 and east of the river.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 6:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Vision

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development