HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:03 PM
Starring as himself

I was amazed when I lived there ... everybody just automatically travels to their hometown for 4-5 days, even though it's almost the end of the university term and (or so it seemed to me) one might spend that time more profitably studying and then go see one's family a month later at Christmas. But that was not done. I felt as though I were living the census story in the Bible. It was definitely as big as, or possibly even bigger than, Christmas.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I was amazed when I lived there ... everybody just automatically travels to their hometown for 4-5 days, even though it's almost the end of the university term and (or so it seemed to me) one might spend that time more profitably studying and then go see one's family a month later at Christmas. But that was not done. I felt as though I were living the census story in the Bible. It was definitely as big as, or possibly even bigger than, Christmas.
Definitely bigger than Christmas. Rivalled only by 4 July (and the 4th has a weaker "family holiday" dimension).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:27 PM

skimmed. I think the fact that is a non-religious holiday and a chance for family to get together is why its a much bigger deal in the states plus its closeness to christmas gets that "feeling" in the air. Already all the commercials are starting in full force. There are sports games on TV all day for days.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
IBut isn't the relative number of non-Christians larger in Canada now (and has been at least for a duration of time in recent years)? Yet it still appears that Christmas is still the bigger deal in Canada and another holiday does not appear to have yet taken its place in an increasing multi-faith, as well as secularizing country.
Christmas in Canada seems to be a lot more secular than it is in the USA, and it seems like a lot more of non-Christians celebrate it here. By contrast American Christmas seems more firmly connected to Christianity.

In this respect, Canada is more like the rest of the world. Even in the European countries that are heavily secularized (like France, Sweden, Czechia, etc.) Christmas is still a big deal. Heck, Christmas is a big deal in Japan despite only a tiny fraction of the population having any Christian background at all.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Christmas in Canada seems to be a lot more secular than it is in the USA, and it seems like a lot more of non-Christians celebrate it here. By contrast American Christmas seems more firmly connected to Christianity.

In this respect, Canada is more like the rest of the world. Even in the European countries that are heavily secularized (like France, Sweden, Czechia, etc.) Christmas is still a big deal. Heck, Christmas is a big deal in Japan despite only a tiny fraction of the population having any Christian background at all.
Thanksgiving and the 4th are the two universal American holidays.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:38 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Americans have a way of making everything about them, and about being "American". That is the main difference between their holiday and ours. To them it's inextricably linked to national pride and the eminent exceptionalism of their country. Historically it represents the reward of toil being reaped as a foundation for the world's greatest country, (which also somehow includes football, LOL). Canadians do things in a quieter way, it's not about us, it's about the spirit of the holiday if it's about anything.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Americans have a way of making everything about them, and about being "American". That is the main difference between their holiday and ours. To them it's inextricably linked to national pride and the eminent exceptionalism of their country. Historically it represents the reward of toil being reaped as a foundation for the world's greatest country, (which also somehow includes football, LOL). Canadians do things in a quieter way, it's not about us, it's about the spirit of the holiday if it's about anything.
I would say that's true of the "national" holidays (Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving), for obvious reasons. It doesn't really apply to Christmas, New Years, or Easter. Are our Canada Day and Remembrance Day really all that different?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:17 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Our government holidays are all ethnic (St. Patrick's Day, Orangeman's Day, St. George's Day), or formerly national (Memorial/Canada Day, Armistice/Remembrance Day, Discovery Day), or religious (all the ones you know), or event-related (Regatta Day, Civic Holiday, etc.).

We get pretty nationalistic for holidays like the Americans. But it's not as being the best, it's as being the victim.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:17 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I would say that's true of the "national" holidays (Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving), for obvious reasons. It doesn't really apply to Christmas, New Years, or Easter. Are our Canada Day and Remembrance Day really all that different?
It's done in a different way, but national holidays are usually about the country, but I never thought of Thanksgiving as a purely national holiday, since we have it here too. Where I grew up in NL it also had strong religious overtones and was celebrated in church. It'd be hard to make Christmas about you, unless your the president of course.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It's done in a different way, but national holidays are usually about the country, but I never thought of Thanksgiving as a purely national holiday, since we have it here too. Where I grew up in NL it also had strong religious overtones. It'd be hard to make Christmas about you, unless your the president of course.
Pilgrims, friendly natives, turkey, cranberries - the myth of American Thanksgiving is pure Americana (New England edition). Of course, for the religious, there's the issue of just whom one is thanking, but that's optional in both the Canadian and American versions.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Pilgrims, friendly natives, turkey, cranberries - the myth of American Thanksgiving is pure Americana (New England edition). Of course, for the religious, there's the issue of just whom one is thanking, but that's optional in both the Canadian and American versions.
I forgot to add the part about Ben Franklin wanting to make the turkey the national bird of the country.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:58 AM

A lot of Canadian Jews don't do Thanksgiving, unless they're very assimilated, due to the proximity of the High Holidays. Whereas in the States even a lot of religious Jews celebrate Thanksgiving.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 1:11 AM

A pretty interesting topic.

Personally I feel that the two holidays, despite the cosmetic similarities, are actually quite different.

American Thanksgiving is very about "America" with heavy pseudo religious and mythological themes regarding the creation of America.

In Canada, at least from my own personal experiences, Thanksgiving is more in line with a standard fall / harvest festival. A day to appreciate the general end of the growing season and to give thanks (to god, or nature, or your community, or whoever / whatever floats your boat) for the final harvests and whatever / whoever you have in your life.

I feel this is also why Canadian Thanksgiving is a month or so before the American one, given our general earlier end to the farming season.

I personally hope that the American style Thanksgiving themes never become too established in Canada (whether than be through chest pounding morons who like everything American or misinformed SJWs who mistakenly attribute Canadian Thanksgiving as having the same meaning as American Thanksgiving)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 1:17 AM

I've never considered American Thanksgiving bigger than Christmas in the US. Isn't it also pretty normal for people to flock back to their hometowns for Christmas? For some reason, I'm finding it hard to believe some university kid at a big city school isn't going back to the farm for Christmas and just staying on campus.

Christmas seems like a pretty huge deal in the US. The entire retail sector revolves around the "Christmas season" there as it does here, and with stuff like Black Friday, which exists because of said "season", Christmas is encroaching on Thanksgiving.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 1:56 AM
I am a typical

Didn't read the thread but turkey tastes like mouldy chicken and Americans are weird for liking it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 2:02 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Didn't read the thread but turkey tastes like mouldy chicken and Americans are weird for liking it.
American chicken is moldy, British/Canadian chicken is mouldy.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 2:21 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You need to learn to cook turkey properly.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 2:35 AM

Canadian Thanksgiving indeed has its roots as the Protestant celebration of Harvest Thanksgiving and dated back at least to the 1870s based on my own research. Despite the comments that the celebration for a while after World War I was associated with Armistice Day (probably in thanks for those who returned from the war) , it was celebrated in October which was in the midst of the Canadian harvest. Give thanks for your harvest and share your bounty with your church community.

One of the things that I have greatly resented is the greed associated with retailers who imported Black Friday from the States. This was never part of the Canadian experience until the last few years and can never be the same because of the lack of a holiday on that day. I am not prepared to use a holiday for such nonsense.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Canadian Thanksgiving indeed has its roots as the Protestant celebration of Harvest Thanksgiving and dated back at least to the 1870s based on my own research. Despite the comments that the celebration for a while after World War I was associated with Armistice Day (probably in thanks for those who returned from the war) , it was celebrated in October which was in the midst of the Canadian harvest. Give thanks for your harvest and share your bounty with your church community.

One of the things that I have greatly resented is the greed associated with retailers who imported Black Friday from the States. This was never part of the Canadian experience until the last few years and can never be the same because of the lack of a holiday on that day. I am not prepared to use a holiday for such nonsense.
I have also been greatly annoyed by this. We already have our own equivalent, Boxing Day. We don't need another.

Sadly it further shows the power of the American influence, and it is not just in Canada. Black Friday sales have popped up in Japan this year as well, and once Japan adopts something they run with it, I highly expect it will be gigantic next year here. Ugh...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada