HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:19 AM

A couple of postcards I found on ebay.

Does anyone know where this Fraternal Brotherhood Building was located?

ebay

ebay

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Welcome to the thread westcork!

Can anyone tell me what the white building under construction is. The year is 1910.

usc digtal archive
Metropolitan building, nw corner of broadway and 5th

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...CHS-42057?v=hr

by the way, your photo E_R is amazing on so many different levels! a great find! i don't think i've every seen a single photo that contains the hildreth mansion, zelda apartments, rose mansion, fremont hotel, olive school, and brunson mansion all within!

truly amazing

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the white building under construction is. The year is 1910.

usc digtal archive
That's the Metropolitan Building at the NW corner of Broadway & Fifth (as opposed to the Metropolitan Theater--later Paramount--at the NE corner of Hill & 6th).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:58 AM

Great minds, gs.... Speaking of buildings that at one time held the Los Angeles Public Library (as the Metropolitan Building did from 1914 to 1926), here are a couple of shots of the Homer Laughlin Building, 315-17 S. Broadway, which housed the library from 1906 to 1908 (and which is now better known as the home of Grand Central Market):

CSULB Library http://www.csulb.edu/~odinthor/Laughl.jpg

LAPL http://jpg1.lapl.org/00078/00078926.jpg
A shot of the library's outdoor reading room. Not sure what possessed the photographer to take
the picture of what is quintessentially a Southern California idea on what appears to be a rainy day....

I have Homer Laughlin on my mind today--I bought some dinner plates at Fishs Eddy here in NY last week, and only just today noticed that they were produced by the Homer Laughlin China Company. (Fiesta Ware is among its product lines.) I didn't know it was still in existence, and I mistakenly thought that it was always a Los Angeles company. Turns out that it never was an L.A. company--Homer sold his interest in the Ohio business in 1897 and only then moved to L.A. and began investing in real estate.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
That's the Metropolitan Building at the NW corner of Broadway & Fifth (as opposed to the Metropolitan Theater--later Paramount--at the NE corner of Hill & 6th).
The Metropolitan Building is being converted into residential lofts (or has been already). They really did a good job of restoring the upper floors on the outside, it's all cleaned up and beautiful. The ground floor, however, is still occupied by a Fallas Paredes and doesn't really match the grandeur of the rest of the building.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 2:42 AM

Thanks for the info gsjansen, GaylordWilshire and sopas_ej.

Several pages back we discussed the Metropolitan Building. I didn't realize it was the same building.

Again...thx

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 2:48 AM

Here's that earlier post concerning the Metropolitan Building.

Quote:
The Metropolitan Building at the northwest corner of 5th & Broadway in 1938.

usc digital archive

Can any one tell me what's going on with the sign at the top of this building?
The top part looks like a silhouette from Dante's Inferno.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 7:33 AM

Quote:
A couple of postcards I found on ebay.

Does anyone know where this Fraternal Brotherhood Building was located?

ebay
Ain't she something? This one has always fascinated me in no small reason because it was replaced by LA's ugliest building. Or so the story goes. That is:

1904, and the Fraternal Brotherhood gets Theodore Eisen (of '88 Courthouse fame, and that Boyle Heights orphan asylum, and who of course sired Percy Eisen) to design this:

proquest

at 845 S Fig, the NW corner of Fig and Lincoln (Lincoln now "W Eighth Place").

I know the FB building lasted through the early 50s but but I haven't poked around every photo to see if it stood past then. Maybe it was a parking lot for some time before the late 60s -- what we do know though is that in 1969, voila:

google maps

Max Linder (who later in the early 70s tears down the Gates Hotel at 6th and Fig and to put up "Linder Plaza") builds this Bank of California/computer service center (Robert Clements & Associates, archs). Now, don't get me wrong, I happen to like 60s Corporate Modern. But according to this article http://blogdowntown.com/2007/05/2629...-ugliest-crown the overgrown, pockmarked, long-abandoned structure is considered DT's ugliest.

That said, some more of the Brotherhood, in rememberance:

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...chs-m2079.html

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...chs-m2080.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:21 PM

oh those boys in the news room over at the examiner. ya gotta love a daily with a sense of humor.

this is the caption to the 1946 photo below;

"Mystery solved! Well folks, the secret is out. That big building which was dedicated back in 1927 down in the Civic Center is - the City Hall! To make it official, they finally got around to putting a name on it"

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...T-BUI-623?v=hr

psssst..hey buddy, city is spelled with a "Y"

Last edited by gsjansen; Feb 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:24 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:50 PM

a cool 1926 image looking east across the city hall construction site. temple block is in it' last waning days. by following a straight edge line from temple block you can really see in this photo how city how city hall was built on top of the old spring street angle.

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...CHS-35192?v=hr

a few months later

Source: USC Digital Archives http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...CHS-35193?v=hr

Last edited by gsjansen; Feb 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:53 PM

wooo wooo! a really great photograph of train traffic in the union station depot yard from 1939

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...CHS-31173?v=hr

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 6:57 PM

Pure '40s:

The 300 phone, the open-toe slingbacks, the Graphex camera: three prosties get busted, Los Angeles, 1948

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zXN_GwdMYMo/TU...seprostyLA.jpg

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 8:41 PM

Somehow tastefully appropriate I'll say hi to the thread

under this stark photo of a couple of working girls just trying to get along. Perfect image of L.A. in the post-war years. I found this site/thread in a web search a couple of days ago looking for an image of the Bellevue Apartments. Just a typical idle hour surfing around following one lurid story to another. What a great thread. I'm reading the whole thing now and had to register just to say hello and thanks for all the wonderful pictures and commentary.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
under this stark photo of a couple of working girls just trying to get along. Perfect image of L.A. in the post-war years. I found this site/thread in a web search a couple of days ago looking for an image of the Bellevue Apartments. Just a typical idle hour surfing around following one lurid story to another. What a great thread. I'm reading the whole thing now and had to register just to say hello and thanks for all the wonderful pictures and commentary.
Sopas EJ has a great picture of "The Bellvue Arms Apartment/Hotel" on post 657 here. I used to live across the street from this building in the 1990s. It has recently been renovated. It also appears in an episode of Reno 911 where an old lady was throwing plant pots from the roof at the officers.

There is another great post by ethereal reality on page 95 / post 1883 here

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:46 PM

Thank you, Westcork...

Yes, I'd seen the first reference. My initial search brought me directly to that image and replies. But I hadn't seen the second, and frankly more interesting, set of pictures. I'm up to page 14 of the thread. Probably go through page 95 in about a week. Thanks again.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 12:39 AM

Welcome to the thread MichaelRyerson!

below: I don't recall seeing this great image before. Hopefully it's new to this thread.

A view from 4th & Grand in 1913.

usc digital archive

below: This was the companion photo...also from 4th & Grand, ca. 1913.

usc digital archive

_______

I almost forgot...thank you Beaudry for the information about the Fraternal Brotherhood Building. Your post was great!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 2, 2011 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 1:49 AM

Quote:

unknown

6th & Figueroa in 1932.

Hotel Clinton...I'd love to know what has gone on there.
NOT 1932---check cars, 2nd from right; NO running boards (Only cars made after about 1939) and the grill mark this as 1940s.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 1:54 AM

Facing north on S. Hill Street....Vendome Hotel. (no date)

usc digital archive

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
1952, Four-level interchange. Where the Hollywood/Santa Ana Freeway meets the Pasadena/Harbor Freeway. This interchange is the first 4-level interchange ever built in the world. Note the route signing; US Route 99 is now Interstate 10; the Hollywood Freeway is still US Route 101. Of course US Route 66 doesn't exist, the Pasadena/Harbor Freeway now being California State Route 110/Interstate 110, respectively. California already had an extensive highway/freeway system which predated the Federal Interstate system; this was the reason why California was exempt from having exit numbers until fairly recently.

From the USC archive.

The Four-level, 1953

From the USC archive.

Aerial view of the four-level, 1970

From LAPL

The four-level under construction, late 1940s

From LAPL

Wilshire and Bonnie Brae, 1937. From the USC archive.

By the 1920s, LA already had the most cars per capita than any other city on earth at the time. I'm sure it was scenes like this that led to the encouragement of the building of freeways. Reading through old LA traffic plan books from the 1950s at the LA Central Library, it's funny to know that back then, freeways were really seen as a salvation for many, as they would "forever free up traffic from surface streets and cut down travel times across the city."
I simply MUST have that car 2nd from right, license plate 2C 92 41. It is TOO COOL for this planet. And scope out the license plate mounts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos