HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:58 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

So any specific detailed updates? Been pretty quiet regarding this project.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 12:04 PM

Oh, oh. The tunnel's intake facility violates a CVC which is why the city wants to spend 1.8 million on legal fees for a purpose they won't disclose. The story is behind the Statesman's pay wall so I didn't bother with the link.

Here's the culprit in Waterloo Park:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...othly-o/nW2Y5/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Oh, oh. The tunnel's intake facility violates a CVC which is why the city wants to spend 1.8 million on legal fees for a purpose they won't disclose. The story is behind the Statesman's pay wall so I didn't bother with the link.

Can you link it anyway? I have access and would like to read it. Thanks!

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Can you link it anyway? I have access and would like to read it. Thanks!
I get the digital pdf version, so I can't be sure the same info is in the web article. The CVC info came from a city employee who didn't want to be named:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...s-18-mi/nfw9k/

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:26 PM

Quote:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...othly-o/nW2Y5/
How can a basically one-story structure violate a view corridor?

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:59 PM

The article didn't say, but I'm guessing there is not supposed to be any blockage of the view from the park. So, a homeless person for example, sitting in that one tiny corner of the park may not be able to see the capitol.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:04 PM

Kinda sad that this has happened twice now in two recent projects. Doesn't anyone do any double checking?? It's going to cost taxpayers an extra 2 mil at the least now. Very annoying.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:18 PM
Member since 2001

No only was the intake facility in violation, the giant "poppy" structure also violated a CVC. The "poppy" has been completely redesigned (it is blah and no longer resembles a "poppy") and moved to a different corner of the park.

The City knew about these violations last year...it's just now being made public.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

This is one of those cases where the state can bend the rule for goodness sake. This is just ridiculous and uncalled for. Its not like a highrise is going up there and people will still be able to see the Capitol building. Sheesh if it's such a big deal then I guess they are going to have to cut the trees down that block the view in parts of the park.

I understand that if you allow exceptions to the rule then it opens up validity issues. But sometimes it can go overboard. Does it say in the law any type of structure even if it is not a building?

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
This is one of those cases where the state can bend the rule for goodness sake. This is just ridiculous and uncalled for. Its not like a highrise is going up there and people will still be able to see the Capitol building. Sheesh if it's such a big deal then I guess they are going to have to cut the trees down that block the view in parts of the park.

I understand that if you allow exceptions to the rule then it opens up validity issues. But sometimes it can go overboard. Does it say in the law any type of structure even if it is not a building?
I agree that this crosses the line into "OMG CUT DOWN THE TREES, THEY ARE BLOCKING THE VIEW" area of insanity. I am ok with the CVC for the most part, but this is ridiculous.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:13 PM

This is a bit silly. It's a "letter of the law" vs "intent of the Law" situation.
The facility my block the corner of the park…. but it adds more viewing of the Capital.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:24 PM
Meh

The nimbys sure do love saying boondoggle.

Maybe if Texas students had a better education system provided for them they would be better at math and be able to tell whether or not artsy structures will block the view of the Capitol dome. Just sayin'.

Quote:
The article didn't say, but I'm guessing there is not supposed to be any blockage of the view from the park. So, a homeless person for example, sitting in that one tiny corner of the park may not be able to see the capitol.
lol

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:26 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Legal issues...Guess they want to get a variance.

As for the poppy...lol everyone knows I think it looks silly. No skin off my back.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:49 PM

Really hate to hear about the poppy. That was a really cool answer to a Pavillion.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:27 AM

Meanwhile UT will get an "exemption" when they replace the bubble practice field over by I35 which blocks the best view of the Capitol anywhere

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:06 AM
Member since 2001

A bit of a correction: the City was/is solely in charge of design and construction of the intake facility...not the Waller Creek Conservancy (WCC)!

Last year, the WCC realized that the height of the unconstructed "poppy" feature was in violation of a state CVC. They notified the City of this issue and at the same time they told the City that they were redesigning the feature to adhere with the CVC. Because of this discovery, the City realized that their intake facility, which was more than half constructed at the time, was also in violation of the same state CVC. Therefore, the $1.8MM in legal fees is solely due to a City error and has nothing to do with the WCC!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:44 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The "poppy" has been completely redesigned (it is blah and no longer resembles a "poppy") and moved to a different corner of the park.
Son of a bitch, I really liked the poppy.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:31 AM

It appears the intake facility will be rebuilt to comply with the CVC instead of any attempt to get a variance.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...pitol-v/nfxrJ/

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
A bit of a correction: the City was/is solely in charge of design and construction of the intake facility...not the Waller Creek Conservancy (WCC)!

Last year, the WCC realized that the height of the unconstructed "poppy" feature was in violation of a state CVC. They notified the City of this issue and at the same time they told the City that they were redesigning the feature to adhere with the CVC. Because of this discovery, the City realized that their intake facility, which was more than half constructed at the time, was also in violation of the same state CVC. Therefore, the $1.8MM in legal fees is solely due to a City error and has nothing to do with the WCC!
The city designed/constructed it, or they hired an engineering firm to do so?

If they're rebuilding it, why would they need 1.8 million for legal, unless they're going to try and get an engineering firm to pay for the mistake?

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The city designed/constructed it, or they hired an engineering firm to do so?

If they're rebuilding it, why would they need 1.8 million for legal, unless they're going to try and get an engineering firm to pay for the mistake?
Correct, according to the statesman:

The engineering firms that signed off will be responsible for the cost of redesign/rebuild. The $1.8 million is for the emergency case where the firms lawyer up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin