HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 5:59 PM

TNSE or PCL? And sorry I got confused between the two in my last post.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
I think the chances of that happening are very slim...although that building does look very out of place and dated I don't think its more than 25 years old.
I wish TNSE could buy their residence so that they take up the entire east side of that block. It would be interesting if RWB could build a residence over their large parkade, but I think the city owns that so that likely wouldn't happen.
I think you're right regarding the building's age...it was built on the site of an old hotel. It must have been sometime in the mid 90s. It has that faux-vintage look that makes it appear a bit older.

I just thought it would be spectacular if you could walk/drive down Carlton and see TNS on both sides of the street. RWB could then get the benefit of having a residence that blends a little better with the evolving streetscape around there (sort of like the Place Marie Rose on Edmonton)... their building as it is kind of looks like a big single family home plunked in the middle of the SHED.

A location on top of the parkade would be great too... that would make better use of the RWB's existing footprint.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
tnse or pcl? And sorry i got confused between the two in my last post.
tnse.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
From TNS instagram 2 days ago:

Nice to see what that looks like. I can see the concrete pump's arm busy over top of the floor from my seat at my desk right now.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Just knowing a start is likely to happen in the next year and a half is good news.

I was walking by the site and thinking about the Sutton Place block... hear me out on this. Doesn't TNS' developer now control the former Hull's Books building on Graham? If that's the case, then the RWB residence would be the only building on the block they don't control.

I wonder if there is any possibility that TNS' developer could work out a deal with RWB to take over their residence and to then include the entire block in the redevelopment project? That way the prime corner at Graham and Carlton would be included in the Sutton Place block. They could then include a new RWB residence somewhere in that part of the TNS project... it might be better for RWB to have a nice new residence as part of that project rather than the current building which is starting to look out of place surrounded by giant highrises.
That sounds like a good play. If they have the money.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 11:42 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

doubt rwb would give up their residence building its kinda critical for the school to operate
if anything happens it would be something that would benifit the rwb over time. imagin the restraunt house and parking lot on edmonton would have be bought and swaped for them to even think about it but even then rwb wants secure access from the residebnce to the school for the younger students that come from all over the world..... to study here

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
doubt rwb would give up their residence building its kinda critical for the school to operate
if anything happens it would be something that would benifit the rwb over time. imagin the restraunt house and parking lot on edmonton would have be bought and swaped for them to even think about it but even then rwb wants secure access from the residebnce to the school for the younger students that come from all over the world..... to study here
I wasn't saying that RWB should get rid of its residence, just that they could conceivably sell the current one and build a new residence as part of the Sutton Place part of TNS, or somewhere else nearby.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 12:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wasn't saying that RWB should get rid of its residence, just that they could conceivably sell the current one and build a new residence as part of the Sutton Place part of TNS, or somewhere else nearby.
they would need a space built first as the residences are used all yr round

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 1:52 AM
BANNED

To be honest, this would no doubt be a reality in other cities, but big picture is absent from the minds of many in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 1:53 AM

It would be nice to see entire RWB grounds renovated, it recently underwent so minor indoor renovations though so any future renovations won't be for quite a while. Maybe when TNS is completed it will inspire RWB to beautify its facility.
NBS in Toronto has a beautiful facility, something I wish RWB could look like too.

http://www.nbs-enb.ca/About-NBS/Facilities

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Our construction camera is in the midst of being relocated to a higher location to keep up with the rapid progress! Please check back soon to see the new perspective of True North Square.
http://www.truenorthsquare.com/devel...ructionupdate/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 2:33 PM

Woo Hoo!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 5:30 PM

How does a 330k sq ft place only have 228 parking spots?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Transit.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:07 PM
Ignore these four words.

Car pooling works as well.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:21 PM

'Only' 228. Theres many parking spots located around downtown. You can find parking if you need it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:32 PM

I've entertained the idea getting rid of that RWB residence myself. Maybe this wouldn't be worth all the trouble of buying the land and tearing it down in the first place, but I think it would make a great spot for a greenspace area. I just think that it would be great if TNS had some sort of a small vegetated green area to compliment the bustling public square. But I'm sure the st. mary's church parking lot would be another great place to put it. What exactly are the plans for that lot anyway? Is there anything that would run counter to implementing my idea there?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
I've entertained the idea getting rid of that RWB residence myself. Maybe this wouldn't be worth all the trouble of buying the land and tearing it down in the first place, but I think it would make a great spot for a greenspace area. I just think that it would be great if TNS had some sort of a small vegetated green area to compliment the bustling public square. But I'm sure the st. mary's church parking lot would be another great place to put it. What exactly are the plans for that lot anyway? Is there anything that would run counter to implementing my idea there?
This is the plan for the lot next to St. Mary's Cathedral, but the pricetag is $105 million and who knows how long it will take the Archdiocese of Winnipeg to raise the money to get this thing started.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...411705635.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 8:09 PM

I know we've gushed over this before. But man would it be sweet if Sutton Place and the church stuff went ahead. So dense there it would be awesome. 6 new towers in basically one block.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 8:20 PM

You have to fight for your right to sunlight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan