HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:46 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There will also be a 4 level parkade associated with the 185 Smith building redevelopment. This will likely be only for the residents of that building but it is a new parkade nonetheless.
What's this? What are they doing for 185 Smith? Reclad and parkade?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 1:41 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
pcl owns the hull building
PCL is just using it as their construction office.

It is pretty common for construction companies to lease office space nearby when working on larger multi-year projects.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:29 PM
Ignore these four words.

New page.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What's this? What are they doing for 185 Smith? Reclad and parkade?
The former MB Housing block was sold to Edison Properties. They are toying with the plan of stripping and putting on a new facade as well as adding a 4 storey parkade. I forget in my conversation if the parkade goes to the north or the south of the tower....I believe it was the south.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:29 AM

The former Stevenson building to the north is actively being marketing for
a redevelopment opportunity; in fact i saw somewhere that it was tentatively sold. I wouldn't be surprised if that they tear down that building and build it there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1983 View Post
The former Stevenson building to the north is actively being marketing for
a redevelopment opportunity; in fact i saw somewhere that it was tentatively sold. I wouldn't be surprised if that they tear down that building and build it there.
Looks like it used to be a legion. What was it previously? Hasn't changed in the last eleven years looking at Google.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
PCL is just using it as their construction office.

It is pretty common for construction companies to lease office space nearby when working on larger multi-year projects.
i had herd they bought it

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 5:18 PM

Action on the Sutton Place site. Guys walking around. Curb lane on St. Mary is closed with crash guard and concrete barriers. Looks like things are (hopefully this time) getting going.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 6:50 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Action on the Sutton Place site. Guys walking around. Curb lane on St. Mary is closed with crash guard and concrete barriers. Looks like things are (hopefully this time) getting going.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 7:21 PM

Thanks! It's a go!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
I love that amazingly look at classic Winnipeg road repairs. Lol

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:40 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Or lack there-of.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
So I guess once the hotel/condo part of TNS is complete, the street will then be ripped up and closed for construction.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
So I guess once the hotel/condo part of TNS is complete, the street will then be ripped up and closed for construction.
always goes down that way!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:03 PM

Wouldn't that be the proper way to do it? Wait until construction is over, then fix the road?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:53 PM

I hope they move the camera for TNS once construction really gets moving across the street. once the siding for Tower 2 goes up there will be nothing to see anymore.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Wouldn't that be the proper way to do it? Wait until construction is over, then fix the road?
It's just sad that the road would be in such a state of disrepair that it would have to be ripped up just as the new hotel is opening. It sure won't help with the first impression of guests at a brand new hotel.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
It's just sad that the road would be in such a state of disrepair that it would have to be ripped up just as the new hotel is opening. It sure won't help with the first impression of guests at a brand new hotel.
Donald in front of the Alt has been ripped up every summer since they've opened, three years in a row now. Two of those years the sidewalk has been completely torn apart. The city doesn't have a clue about managing these projects.

It doesn't affect the Alt much other than "this construction sucks" impressions, but it has been destroying Merchant Kitchen. Year 1 the brand-new sidewalk had to be ripped up as the water lines to the whole development were installed wrong. Year two there was more sidewalk and road construction, they weren't able to get a patio til almost Labour Day, and this year the west side of Donald (and again, brand new sidewalks) have been ripped up and there's been so much construction they haven't even bothered to set the patio up most days as you can't breathe.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Donald in front of the Alt has been ripped up every summer since they've opened, three years in a row now. Two of those years the sidewalk has been completely torn apart. The city doesn't have a clue about managing these projects.

It doesn't affect the Alt much other than "this construction sucks" impressions, but it has been destroying Merchant Kitchen. Year 1 the brand-new sidewalk had to be ripped up as the water lines to the whole development were installed wrong. Year two there was more sidewalk and road construction, they weren't able to get a patio til almost Labour Day, and this year the west side of Donald (and again, brand new sidewalks) have been ripped up and there's been so much construction they haven't even bothered to set the patio up most days as you can't breathe.
Not to be too nit-picky, but... Year 1's water line issues was construction debris in the lines which caused a whole 4 panels of brand new sidewalk to be replaced and affected Merchant Kitchen for less than a week (it happens). Year 2 there was watermain renewal, sidewalk and roadwork pretty much all year, agreed but they actually saved most of the brand new sidewalk that was placed when the hotel was built so I'll take that as a win. This year they're finishing up the second (east)half of the road reconstruction and yes that includes replacing the sidewalk, but it was hardly "brand new", more like 10 years old when the Mountain Co-op was built. Sometimes you have to replace stuff that's still in good condition because grade changes / new elevations force it.

Regardless, I agree Merchant Kitchen has been pretty screwed over for the better part of the last 2 summers, but no need to exaggerate to make the point. At least once this stretch of roadwork is done in the next week or two they should be golden for a long time with new infrastructure that will be the envy of most of Winnipeg (what a sad statement).

Getting back to True North Square, if Sutton Place and their restaurant eventually get the same treatment as Alt / Merchant Kitchen regarding road construction it will be the same short term pain for long term gain and they should be happy.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes. Seems the City has been making an effort lately to repair downtown streets. Hopefully will get to this one day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan