HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I have never understood this co-location strategy, even from a marketing standpoint. I don't go to KFC to get Taco Bell food, and I don't go to Taco Bell to get KFC. And they don't even have a combined kitchen, they have two entirely separate kitchens each with their own staff. There's another one of these on Hyde Park Road.
- same owner of both franchises (YUM! brands), thus one property purchase, one building to erect, service, and license
-a single building design that can be replicated endlessly across North America, locally by a single contractor, with big savings in economies of scale
-one set of property taxes to pay
-one property maintenance cost
- because of their cheap cookie-cutter nature, it's easy and cheap to demolish the building and sell off the property when it's time to move on

These facilities are the ultimate in fast-food society: Small disposable facilities that house a small staff that take pre-made frozen food, cook it, and sell most of it to people out of a window to cars passing in a drive-thru.

Sort of like a dumpster in reverse: people drive up to a small box and pick up garbage to take home.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 6:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^and there you have it. Same reasoning behind the earlier (largely failed) co-location of Wendy's and Tim Hortons back when they were jointly owned at the corporate level.

I see many Tims now have some icecream affiliate.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^and there you have it. Same reasoning behind the earlier (largely failed) co-location of Wendy's and Tim Hortons back when they were jointly owned at the corporate level.

I see many Tims now have some icecream affiliate.
Cold Stone Creamery! I don't think it's as bad of a mix as Taco Bell and KFC. It's a lot easier to mix-and-match a coffee shop with an ice cream shop. Not so easy for two completely different restaurants that want you to buy full-meal combos.

There's a Timmies in St. Thomas that has renovated to add the Cold Stone Creamery. It's like Marble Slab. Not bad ice cream either.

And Tim Hortons gets a deal out of it too. While Cold Stone Creamery gets exposure here in Canada, Cold Stone Creamery locations in the States are getting Tim Hortons expansions, including one of CSC's flag ship locations in New York City.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 10:13 PM

My understanding is that Cold Stone offers one of the highest, if not the highest, caloric beverages in Canada. So, you may now have a Cold Stone and end up Stone Cold on a Marble Slab.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Cold Stone....I am sorry, but that is just a terrible name for an ice-cream joint. makes me think of tombstone.

Tombstone and Rim Whoreton's.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:04 PM

Do you notice how these creamery style ice cream places have re-invented ice cream and now charge you a hefty price? At marble slab it's like $18 for 3 people

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

There's finally some serious work going on right now at the Innovation Industrial Park. I've driven by there everyday for the past 3 years, and never seen a single bit of dirt moved. But starting last week, there's been machinery busily digging, moving, and leveling away at 3 sights. One at the West end close to Old Victoria road, one close to Hamilton, and another on the east end. Unfortunately all the sights are right close to the existing buildings, so there's still a bunch of roads to nowhere, but I'm excited to see some new industry moving in. Anyone know what's coming? None of them can be the Pizza factory since it is going on a much larger sight closer to the 401.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 2:59 PM

Quote:
There's something under construction on the northeast corner of Hyde Park and Oxford. Years ago there was a gas station there, and more recently it was an auto collision centre, demolished 2-3 years ago. Water servicing appears to have just been installed.

Anybody know what's being built there? The only sign of anything on the site is a Sifton "for lease" sign.
No signage up yet, but the shape of the building under construction suggests an RBC Royal Bank branch. Oakridge has long had TD Canada Trust, BMO, and CIBC, but never RBC or Scotiabank, so if it's an RBC this will be a good addition for the area.

Correction: I've also heard a rumour that an A&W may locate here.

Last edited by manny_santos; Sep 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: New information

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 3:24 PM
User Registered

I really do miss having the banks, LCBO, Beer Store, postal service and other services in one place. (Westmount Mall was a prime example)

You'd think these businesses would prosper by offering their customers greener, more convenient locations... But alas they still build in paved parricide.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I really do miss having the banks, LCBO, Beer Store, postal service and other services in one place. (Westmount Mall was a prime example)

You'd think these businesses would prosper by offering their customers greener, more convenient locations... But alas they still build in paved parricide.
Unfortunately I think that today's consumer has been duped into thinking these far-away power centres are convenient. I find it bizarre that in our Canadian climate that retailers don't see the competitive advantages of being inside a mall. Especially with our aging population.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 5:34 PM
User Registered

Turns out the London drawings page is now a featured diagram list on Skyscraperpage!

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/

Not sure how long this will last or how many will care. We're still missing many drawings and have some pretty old/outdated drawings as well.

Still, it's nice to see our city featured.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 6:20 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Turns out the London drawings page is now a featured diagram list on Skyscraperpage!

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/

Not sure how long this will last or how many will care. We're still missing many drawings and have some pretty old/outdated drawings as well.

Still, it's nice to see our city featured.
Yeah, I noticed that the other day! I thought someone (Matt H?) had taken an interest in updating our diagram with the Harriston and Crown on King projects, but all that's changed are the diagrams for City Place.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 7:52 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Yeah, I noticed that the other day! I thought someone (Matt H?) had taken an interest in updating our diagram with the Harriston and Crown on King projects, but all that's changed are the diagrams for City Place.
Perhaps some proposals and visions can be created too. The renders from the recent downtown development plan have some pretty good ones like Covet Place and the new city hall.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 1:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
No signage up yet, but the shape of the building under construction suggests an RBC Royal Bank branch. Oakridge has long had TD Canada Trust, BMO, and CIBC, but never RBC or Scotiabank, so if it's an RBC this will be a good addition for the area.

Correction: I've also heard a rumour that an A&W may locate here.
It is an A&W.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 2:24 AM

Quote:
It is an A&W.
Yep, it is.

Just so surprised Tim Hortons has yet to end up anywhere in Oakridge to this date.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 1:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

perhaps there is a drive-thru restriction?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
perhaps there is a drive-thru restriction?
I would suspect that it is because there isn't a commercial property large enough for Tim Hortons in Oakridge. Mind you, the former 7-Eleven is on a lot that is bigger than it looks, so one could potentially fit there, but that's the only property I can think of in the area.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 12:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Kinda tells you all that is wrong about tim hortons and other retailers. the footprint is perhaps 15% building; the rest, parking and drive-thru lanes.

good ol' car sprawl.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 12:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Every single day. Owen Wilson getting his face licked by a Golden Retriever. Farking netflix ads are pissing me off.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Every single day. Owen Wilson getting his face licked by a Golden Retriever. Farking netflix ads are pissing me off.
If you use Fire-fox, you can install an adblocker. I don't see 95% of the ads in the web as a result

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates