HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Just read this whole Exxon Campus sprawl debate... interesting opinions by some to say the least.

You know, what I find interesting about Houston's growth, is that they're doing much of it by expanding the city itself, rather than growth from within. Although a lot of inner city development is trending, the outward growth still seems to be fairly prevalent. Nonetheless, the population numbers are a bit deceptive. I personally think it'd be funny if Houston were to surpass Chicago in population as it would help bolster the bigger =/= better argument concerning city growth and sprawl. (not meant as an insult; related more to the debate we had in the city discussion sub-forum a few months ago)

Anyway, it got me thinking about city, metro, and CSA population numbers. Here's some food for thought:

Chicago has a population just under 3 million
in 234.0 sq mi

Chicago's city and suburbs (Chicago, Aurora, Elgin, Joliet, and Waukegan) has ~8 million
in about 2,000 sq mi

If you include NW Indiana, you get a little over 8.5 million in about 2,400 sq mi

And if you expand that even more, you pick up another couple million... in the entire tri-state area (exburbs), you get a population of just under 10 million in about 10,000 sq mi

By contrast, Houston has a population of ~2 million
in 627.8 sq mi

Houston's city and suburbs (Houston, The Woodlands, and Sugar Land) has a population of just under 5 million
in about 1,600 sq mi

And then the entire metro area of Houston has a population a little over 6 million in about 10,000 sq mi

And then other big metro areas (each of comparable density to either city)

Dallas and suburbs is ~5 million in about 1,700 sq mi
Dallas "metroplex" is ~6.5 million in about 9,000 sq mi

Washington DC and suburbs is ~4.5 million in about 1,300 sq mi
Washington DC metro is ~9 million in about 8,000 sq mi

So I guess my point is... all big cities (after NYC and the never-ending-giant of LA) tend to have very comparable sprawling metro areas with very comparable populations beyond their city limits. But what sets the Sun Belt cities apart from the industrial northern cities is their lack of dense urban cores. As is evident in looking at city limits versus their populations; the Sun Belt cities have very big city limits. Nonetheless, the sprawl is still about the same in terms of square miles. I personally wouldn't take much issue with the Exxon campus. I realize many of you fear this will promote even more sprawl outward, but I think it might allow for city planners to more aggressively pursue commuter rail options.

I think what's more important is that Houston focus on small scale urban development in the city's core. That's the only way to combat sprawl: make the inner more desirable.

An outsider's opinion, for sure. And I realize every city's development patters are different, especially when comparing the denser urban cities with the auto-centric Sun Belt cities. Nonetheless, I feel like the criticism I've read about sprawl problems should be understood within the context of the greater sprawl problem facing all American cities. And in my opinion, the development of housing and retail in the inner city is key. Jobs can really be located anywhere; like I said, maybe this spurs more aggressive pursuit of commuter rail, something that Houston would benefit from greatly.
Houston's development more resembles ATL than any other city because of its multipolar core. Houston has 4 major employment centers in its core (downtown, uptown, texas medical center, and greenway plaza) with the first three having daytime populations of 100-200k and the last with 60k. These 4 employment centers still are adding office towers gradually. Not to mention the major universities, museums/cultural events, 4 professional sports teams and their stadiums, and the best parks are inside the the core.

Houston is just plain expanding everywhere.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
I'm going to guess that the two rail stops I saw had at least 500 apartments each clustered around them. Which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's not insignificant. The development in the vicinity is also very well planned and in the new urbanist mode, with apartments on top of retail and offices within walking distance of the rail stop. Would it have happened with a highway? Not to the same density or quality.

I've been on Metro in DC and even the much-maligned New York subways. Above all else, they make it very easy to get around town for those who choose to ride them. And they will attract dense urban development because of the convenient access.
Our Texas cities certainly need more mass transit, I think the implementation is key. Having a lot of rail doesn't necessarily make it very useful.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:51 AM

Yes, Houston's suburban areas are growing, but so is the inner city. There are cranes all over the city right now. Two residential projects in downtown proper. MD Anderson expansion. 2 dorms and a football stadium u/c @ U of Houston. 4 apartments going up in the Rice Village area. Regent Square is underway (including a 21 story tower). There are 5 other midrise apartments rising within 1 mile Waugh @ West Gray. A 40 story tower is going up @ West Alabama and Wesleyan. Less than 3 blocks away is a massive 3 midrise apartment project. West Avenue is expanding its apartment brand. The Buffalo Bayou between Shepherd Dr. and downtown is being returned to a more natural state and bike/hike paths are being added. Light rail is expanding with 2 new lines and an original line expansion. And this doesn't even begin to touch on the smaller development going on all over the place where multiple condos are replacing single family homes, former industrial sites, and vacant land in Montrose, Midtown, 3rd Ward, Memorial Heights, Upper Kirby, Museum District, EaDo, etc...

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Report: ConocoPhillips to lease new building – UPDATED

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...-new-building/
That's a lot of real estate in one lease. And one more new structure on the horizon.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 5:46 AM

Houston gets new area code to keep from running out of phone numbers

Quote:
Source

Houston gets new area code to keep from running out of phone numbers

With great growth comes change, and soon Houston will be getting another area code to accommodate telecommunications. Say hello to 346.

The Public Utility Commission announced the addition today:

"The 346 area code will overlay existing area codes 713, 281 and 832 in Harris, Fort Bend, Waller, Austin, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Liberty, Chambers, Galveston and Brazoria counties," said a release from the PUC.

A projection that the existing area codes would run out of numbers by September 2014 was what lead to 346 being added to the Houston area.

Starting July 1, 2014, new phone numbers can get the 346 area code.
Interesting development for the area's new phone numbers.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 7:50 AM
FYHA

Hadn't seen it posted before in this thread (apologies if it was), but the Central Square buildings on the edge of Midtown seem to be getting a new lease on life.

per The Chronicle - 5/5

Quote:

The 14-story building, Central Square Plaza at 2100 Travis, was built more than 50 years ago and has been vacant for about 13 years, the new owner said.

Over time, the property was plagued by thieves, drug addicts and graffiti, receiving multiple citations from the city.

Central Square Plaza, built more than 50 years ago, was developed by oil tycoon Glenn McCarthy.

"Structurally it's in fantastic shape, but as far as the interior, it's like the 1970s in there," said Keeley Megarity, who purchased the building from an entity controlled by Alfred Antonini. "It looks like people just walked away from their desks 15 years ago and never came back."

The nearly 300,000-square-foot building was developed by oil tycoon Glenn McCarthy, who also built the city's famous Shamrock hotel, which was torn down in the late 1980s and the property taken over by the Texas Medical Center.

Megarity said he's going to put in all new glass, "gut it, take it down to its shell and completely redo it." But he's not sure if he'll convert it to a residential or commercial building.

"We've already started cleaning the building," he said. "Hopefully we'll start on renovations in the next 30 or 60 days."

Herb Shapiro and Bob Heard of Herbert Shapiro & Associates represented the buyer and seller. The purchase price was not disclosed.
They indeed are starting to clean out the space, as these photos from HAIFer 'Triton' show.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 3:49 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow its about time something happened with that building. Its in such a good location too, right next to the Post Midtown Lofts.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wow its about time something happened with that building. Its in such a good location too, right next to the Post Midtown Lofts.
I've always sort of liked the stone façade of that building. I remember seeing it when I was a kid and thinking it was cool.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 5:30 PM

A tenant to fill some office space. PHH Arval based in the Philadelphia area will open a Houston office branch.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...on-office.html

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 2:23 PM
Seeker of the Truth

Sorry, no pictures but I went to the Galleria/Uptown district yesterday and can report that BLVD Place is really starting to come together!

Also, would it be fair to say Uptown is the nicest, most populated urban center in Houston?

VISIT IT!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:12 PM

More apartments - this time in Vintage Park.

McCann Realty building Retreat at Vintage Park apartment community

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 5:21 PM

I mentioned this previously - if downtown and the East End get some groceries, it will help spur residential development.

Report: Houston’s East End losing potential retail revenue

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; May 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM. Reason: Correct URL link

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 5:32 PM
Seeker of the Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
More apartments - this time in Vintage Park.

McCann Realty building Retreat at Vintage Park apartment community
Ive driven past there a few times, noticing that they were clearing the ground for something. Glad to see its this and not just some strip mall.

VISIT IT!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:13 PM
FYHA

Over the weekend, Lisa Gray from the Chronicle had a good Q&A with the architect whose firm will be designing the entry to the Centennial Gardens at Hermann Park.

http://cmf.houstonchronicle.com/life...0caf9c7b6b599e

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 6:04 PM
FYHA

A few more developments...

'DrLan34' on HAIF has provided some insight on the building that may replace the downtown Macy's (Foley's).

Quote:
23 stories, completion expected December 2015, Hines will be throwing this one up too. Kind of looks like an elliptical prism.

and

Quote:
suppose to have a park like area on the roof top floor.

Hines is apparently planning for an 18-story office building on San Felipe between Kirby & S. Shepherd, according to Swamplot.

-c/o Swamplot

Funds are being raised for a new engineering hall near Cemo Hall and the Calhoun Lofts on the UH campus. It would replace the large, outdated science & engineering annex/hangar-ish building which was demolished in the recent past.

-c/o University of Houston

Last edited by Wattleigh; May 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 7:03 PM
FYHA

Progress also continues at 806 Main, the building that will become a JW Marriott hotel and is being converted back to it's original appearance.

c/o 'totheskies' on HAIF

A barrier is going up near the intersection of Main & Rusk around the building and the adjacent building that once housed Battlestein's Department Store. Others have said that workers have been seen in that building as of late.

c/o 'Nate99' on HAIF

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 12:08 AM

Another rendering of 2929 San Felipe

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:40 AM

Some of the construction in the Energy Corridor.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:23 PM

HBJ picks up on the new Hines River Oaks building.

River Oaks may see a changing skyline

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 6:16 PM
FYHA

More on the JW Marriott Downtown - Formal Announcement today, well into the work. Expected to be complete Spring '14

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/05/historic-downtown-property-gets-81-million-hotel-redo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations