Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 2:15 AM

Great Architecture, On The Cheap

Great Architecture, On The Cheap

July 14th, 2010

Cliff Kuang

Read More: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1661904/...e-on-the-cheap

Quote:
The true hallmark of a talented architect is the ability to great things with minimal resources. Which is why, for the last six years, the American Institute of Architects--America's premier trade-association for architects--has handed out its Small Project Awards.

This year, 10 projects were selected, but we've picked our favorites among those to give you a taste. Pictured above and below, the Kevin Mundy Memorial Bridge in Bozeman, MT, by Intrinsik Architecture, which cost just $150,000 to build. The bridge itself is made from two common shed trusses, which had a high and a low end; these were fitted together, and the level change in the roof line was covered up by a twisting series of planks, which add architectural interest on the cheap:

A 500-square foot studio in New York, by Jordan Parnass Digital Architecture. Given the tiny space, the architect decided to meld the kitchen, bath, sleeping loft, and a new walk-in closet into one single plywood "service core"--thus leaving the rest of the space as open as possible. The entire project cost $100,000:

PLY architecture's Shadow Pavilion, a temporary space made "entirely of holes." The piece was made from over 100 laser-cut aluminum sheets, which were rolled into cones. The entire thing cost just $22,000, and offers a strangely inspiring view of the landscape outside:

And finally, the Welcome Center created by Eskew+Dumez+Ripple, for Prospect.1, a scrappy air fair that sprung in New Orleans, post-Katrina. The center served to point art-goers to all of the various exhibitions, and it was made totally from plywood for just $28,000. Superb:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 5:37 AM
▓▒░

^This is the kind of stuff that we should be focusing on. Great design on a shoestring budget keeps the architecture informal and accessible. I imagine this opens up a lot of possibilities for people/places that don't have the funds to create some international masterpiece.

I really like the little apartment, but I have to admit I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping in that bed lol

edit: holy crap I just remembered I went through bozeman a couple months ago, too bad I didn't know about this bridge.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 2:35 PM

Great architecture...........no.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 6:20 PM

$100,000 for a 500 square foot studio makeover? $28,000 for an information desk and sitting area? $22,000 for a pavilion?

For the same price as the pavilion, you could get a lifetime supply of hot dogs.

To me the point of low cost design is that the average person has access to high quality design. However well designed they are, I think these projects are expensive for what they are.

I think the bridge is a better example though, because it looks like they made something special out of something that could have been very mundane, and because it's something normal people will use in their daily lives.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture