HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:22 AM

Great pics!

I can't figure out where the last pic is taken from?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 5:12 PM

All of the pics were taken from the same spot - my balcony on the top floor of City Place. The last one is looking due east.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 5:19 AM

Taken by a SW Ontario boy within a few days ago:

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20sgirl View Post
Beautiful pictures. I just spent a good amount of time looking at the pictures posted. It's interesting to see pictures posted over time. I saw some at the other forum as well from 2007. I've definitely got to get out and about to take some pictures around this city. I've lived here for four years now, although I did live here in the winter of 2007/2008 briefly, but then I came back permanently in 2009. I actually had a friend working on the Renaissance.

I have a few pictures from the view of my apartment on Commissioners, but I don't have anymore interesting ones. I do have some old ones from my other building on my old phone, but I've been having trouble getting it to work. So once I can, I will upload those two, but it's a view of downtown from the Oxford area.

I took these pics for my family to see the view from my new apartment not too long ago:

Not the best pictures because they were taken with my phone, but best I can do for now.
I always keep tabs on winter in your area.
How long ago did you take these pics? no snow!. I live in Sask and want to move to London area, (Woodstock to be exact). Part of the reason for moving is I am enticed by your warm winters...I am so sick of these brutal and long prairie winters. I haven't seen dirt or grass in months. Roads have been deep rutted with ice for months. I hate it here...but my business does very well here

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
How long ago did you take these pics? no snow!. I live in Sask and want to move to London area, (Woodstock to be exact). Part of the reason for moving is I am enticed by your warm winters...I am so sick of these brutal and long prairie winters. I haven't seen dirt or grass in months. Roads have been deep rutted with ice for months. I hate it here...but my business does very well here
Not every day someone wants to move from Saskatchewan to Southwestern Ontario these days, but you're more than welcome! Usually it's the other way around.

However, although the London area doesn't get as cold as Saskatchewan in winter, don't get your hopes too high. Some winters are mild, but some are brutally cold and snowy.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 2:50 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
I'm actually moving to Woodstock at the end of the current school year. And here I was thinking there would be absolutely no SSPers in that place! What brings you to the Land of Public Spending and Unemployment?

On the topic of winter, I guess we're polar opposites (no pun intended). I like cold and snowy weather, because it gives me more of an incentive to grab the cross-country skis and head out. Also keeps people off the slopes when I go downhill skiing (I find the casuals all stay home when the daily high is less than -10). And overall winter is beautiful, so long as you have a house with central heating and a good pair of snows on your car.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 7:37 PM

Hello Manny Santos & Wharn

There are many Ontario license plates here (in Sask) as compared to a few years ago. I come across Ontario people and their stories due to my business. (I have carpet & upholstery cleaning business). So I find these contacts interesting and informative. My BIG concern is how will my business do in Woodstock? Moving my business to a [struggling?] manufacturing based economy from a booming resource based economy is something that makes me nervous.
The doom and gloom about the economy in the London area that I hear in the news and on this forum also makes me worry a bit.

There are many good jobs in Sask, whether the potash mines, CP rail or oil fields just to the south. People from Ontario actually commute to the potash mines from Ontario. They work 3 weeks here and then they are 1 week at home. I came to realize this from my seat mate on my last flight to Toronto…4 guys on plane were from the Hamilton area and were headed home for their time off. Of the 3 potash mines in Regina/Moose Jaw area, 2 new ones are being developed and 1 is going through $2 billion upgrade. So need workers here, if you have a trade, even better.

For me, I have been self employed all my life and working for someone else doesn’t interest me.

I was in Woodstock for couple days about year and half ago and it felt right. Planning another trip and will stay a week in Woodstock area, plus London. Considering a trip in April some time.

thx for your replies!

btw..my neighbor is from woodstock, he decided to stay here after he retired from military. (Moose Jaw has air force base)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:41 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Hello Manny Santos & Wharn

There are many Ontario license plates here (in Sask) as compared to a few years ago. I come across Ontario people and their stories due to my business. (I have carpet & upholstery cleaning business). So I find these contacts interesting and informative. My BIG concern is how will my business do in Woodstock? Moving my business to a [struggling?] manufacturing based economy from a booming resource based economy is something that makes me nervous.
The doom and gloom about the economy in the London area that I hear in the news and on this forum also makes me worry a bit.
Oh, Woodstock is doing fine. They have the Toyota plant (which employs about 15% of the town, one of the greatest gifts Canada ever received for its birthday) and a whole bunch of other small-scale manufacturing operations. There's no big money there, but it's a solid middle-class town. Quite a few rental units as well, so you should find business for the carpet-cleaning component.

London, on the other hand, is a chronically (but not terminally) sick city. St. Thomas is on life support.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 9:07 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Found some neat old postcards of London today.

Here's an old one of the airport. Looks like it's from the 60's:

http://www.cardcow.com/295693/airpor...anada-ontario/

The courthouse not long after it opened:

http://www.cardcow.com/143811/court-...anada-ontario/

"London Ontario, city on the grow!"

http://www.cardcow.com/393308/greeti...ondon-ontario/

The Maple Glen Motel-I think this place actually still exists!

http://www.cardcow.com/216359/maple-...s-territories/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Found some neat old postcards of London today.

The courthouse not long after it opened:

http://www.cardcow.com/143811/court-...anada-ontario/
[/url]
Can you imagine buying someone a postcard of the courthouse? "Dear friend, I am actually staying in this craphole".

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^

It would be appropriate postcard to send if your name was Timothy Best. I reckon he will take another couple of turns through that lovely edifice.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 3:16 PM
User Registered

For those of you who have Facebook, I found a cool page that has a ton of historic photos of London and area: http://www.facebook.com/NASA?ref=str...ocation=stream

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:32 AM
User Registered

Errrrrr this is the right link https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vinta...56233541169617

NASA has a good Facebook Page too

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:40 AM
bro

Smile

Some shots over the last few months (random Batman guy on my roof obviously takes the cake):

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 1:38 PM

Why is batman on the roof lol?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 3:22 PM
User Registered

The haze last night looked pretty neat through long exposure

The haze last night looked pretty neat through long exposure by haljackey, on Flickr

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 5:39 AM
Torontonian Refugee

I was just reminded of these photos by looking at the "recent posts" list.

For all the idiocy, managerial impermanence, bad planning, and surprisingly poor traffic, I do miss living in this city. Some day I'll be back, hopefully.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 8:34 PM
User Registered

Got my first real camera. Now an amateur photographer. (Taken with my cell phone lol)

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:57 PM
User Registered

Testing that new telephoto lens I got for my camera

Telephoto Lens Zoom Test 100mm by haljackey, on Flickr

Max zoom if anyone is interested

Telephoto Lens Zoom Test 300mm by haljackey, on Flickr

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 12:44 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Nice! Looking forward to seeing even more great pictures from you in the future!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos