HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 9:57 AM

Not at that time, but both had only been part of Calgary for a couple years (Forest Lawn in 1961, Bowness in 1964)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
I can't tell from the map, but were Bowness and Forest Lawn still separate towns?
Bowness was an autonomous town until 1964, when it was amalgamated by Calgary. In 1952, the districts of Hubalta, Albert Park and Forest Lawn were incorporated as the Town of Forest Lawn. In 1961 the town was dissolved and incorporated in the city of Calgary.

Source: Wikipedia

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 4:41 PM
Littering and............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Interesting maps. I have never heard of Buffalo Stadium in Eau Claire before.
I wonder when that disappeared?
Also it shows Prince's Island extending west to the 10 Street bridge.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of Buffalo Stadium either. Cool to see Buffalo, Mewata and McMahon all on the map.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 5:41 PM
not a NIMBY

Thanks for posting the archive pics Dizzy. The western part of PIP must have washed away in a flood?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 5:48 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

^^If you're talking about the 'island' area that seems to extend west down the river, it appears it's still there, but they just filled in the narrow canal between it and the downtown area.

Actually now that I look at it again that is indeed the case, but there still seems to be a substantial portion gone on the river-side.

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Jun 6, 2009 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 6:55 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Found these old maps (1966) in my files:

There seems to have been a re-alignment of Ogden and Bonnybrook Roads, and the disappearence of Portland Street in the Manchester Industrial area in the SE (see section F5 where it says RCAF Equipment Depot). What a difference 40 years makes.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:10 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I never knew what those buildings were (RCAF Equip Depot), now I know.. here's a before and after I had sitting on my harddrive, I think the before is around 1950, the after is a couple years ago

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
There seems to have been a re-alignment of Ogden and Bonnybrook Roads, and the disappearence of Portland Street in the Manchester Industrial area in the SE (see section F5 where it says RCAF Equipment Depot). What a difference 40 years makes.
Quite a lot of roads have been renamed and shifted around. They changed the names around south of Blackfoot, Portland Street went to Ogden Road, and they also changed 40th Ave to be part of Ogden Road. Bonnybrook Road today is what is labeled Ogden Road on that map north of 40th Ave (most of this stretch of road is actually gravel still), Portland Street still exists today north of Blackfoot up to just south of 21st Ave. I'd guess part of the reason for this was to try to get a more continually named 'main' road in the area

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:40 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Here's another random file on my computer:
Bonnybrook industrial 1948 on the left, 1924 on the right, both with poorly drawn alignment of Ogden road today. You can see that back then there really wasn't anything where Ogden road today runs, so what is on this 1966 map as Bonnybrook road was the main route through the area until sometime betweem 1948 and 1966.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:09 PM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnaden View Post
Thank you very much for sharing the map. I often wondered if Deerfoot was "new". It's hard to imagine Calgary without it now.

Its odd to think that there was a time that is still within memory of a lot of people when the only things east of where Deerfoot is now were the airport, Forest Lawn and Ogden. Especially when you consider how many people and how much industry are now located there.

Other things I noted:
- Memorial Drive east of downtown seems to be a real mess. It looks like it would have been nothing more than a trail.
- The neighbourhood known as Valleyfield north of Ogden seems to be mostly gone now
- A lot of Sunalta was removed to plow Crowchild and Bow Trals through.
- The politically incorrect "Home for Retarded Children" in Bridgeland is now gone.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:39 PM
not a NIMBY

I knew there was a road between Chinook Centre which I thought was 60 Ave, but I didn't know it was called McKenzie Road and was between Southridge Shopping Centre and Chinook Shopping Centre.
No district of Ramsay? It is labelled Grandview and Mills Estate.
When was Sarcee Trail SW built? It must have been a dream to drive it back then, much less traffic! It must have been the ring road of its day.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 9:52 PM
IMHO

I've always wondered about how Edmonton trail left Calgary. On this map, the part connecting to what would become McKnight was called "Green Way", then terminates at 48th Ave (now McKnight)

I found some old air photos in
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/airphotos_new/index.htm

From 1949

Photo in question

that looked like the original Edmonton trail continued straight north from that junction - 11St. alignment, then roughly followed the Deerfoot alignment to get back to Barlow Trial. This would be prior to 1945 ("Calgary: An Illustrated History", map Land Use in 1945) when Edmonton Trail just turned straight east and then north at what is now the McCall Way alignment to avoid the Calgary Airport lands. I've never been able to find a map that goes back far enough to confirm my theory.

Can anyone provide me with the missing link that shows where Edmonton trail went prior to the Airport getting in the way?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:35 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
I knew there was a road between Chinook Centre which I thought was 60 Ave, but I didn't know it was called McKenzie Road and was between Southridge Shopping Centre and Chinook Shopping Centre.
When was Sarcee Trail SW built? It must have been a dream to drive it back then, much less traffic! It must have been the ring road of its day.
Yeah I believe at some point the owner of Chinook bought Southridge and connected them together, hence the extra long-ness of Chinook.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Yeah I believe at some point the owner of Chinook bought Southridge and connected them together, hence the extra long-ness of Chinook.
It must have been way easier back then to close a road access to a major road than it is these days. I wonder if the residents of the neighborhood put up as much a stink as is being made these days when such a thing is proposed (think Rocky Ridge Road).

On a side note, I read on the Chinook Centre website that they are celebrating 50 years!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
This is true:

Quote:
Chinook Centre sits on the site formerly occupied by a drive-in theatre. Mervyn Dutton, Roy Jennings, and Frank Kershaw originally developed Chinook, which started out in 1960 as an outdoor mall with 45 retail stores and was enclosed in 1965.

Southridge Mall - built across 61st Ave. - was purchased in 1974, and the two centres were united to become Chinook Ridge Shopping Centre.

In 1981, the Centre underwent a $22 million renovation project - adding new retail, fountains, and more parking.
Source: http://www.chinookcentre.com/history/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:59 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain View Post
Its odd to think that there was a time that is still within memory of a lot of people when the only things east of where Deerfoot is now were the airport, Forest Lawn and Ogden. Especially when you consider how many people and how much industry are now located there.

Other things I noted:
- Memorial Drive east of downtown seems to be a real mess. It looks like it would have been nothing more than a trail.
- The neighbourhood known as Valleyfield north of Ogden seems to be mostly gone now
- The politically incorrect "Home for Retarded Children" in Bridgeland is now gone.
I get the feeling Valleyfield ended up with a similar fate to Bonnybrook: both appear to have 'residential' sized block patterns,
and indeed some houses were built, but it stalled for whatever reason and industrial moved in. A couple of years ago I drove
around Bonnybrook and counted 15 tiny remaining houses, at least 1/2 not used as houses anymore. It looks like Valleyfield
similarly may have never been built out:

1966 Map - 1950 aerial photo - 2009 aerial photo

The blue dots on the current aerial are houses from the 1950 photo which are still standing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 1:07 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnaden View Post
Here's the area 1950, you can see the drive-in, plus what looks like a.. hmm not sure, motorized go kart track??

Also you can see the school north of glenmore west of Macleod which was recently demolished for the interchange there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 1:15 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain View Post

Other things I noted:
I'd say that's a good assumption

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:59 PM

Quote:
From an edit I made to wikipedia: "It was named Ramsay in 1956 when residents of Burnsland, Brewery Flats, Grandview and Mills Estate consolidated as a new community named for William Thomson Ramsay, an early land agent and property owner."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:13 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahon View Post
From an edit I made to wikipedia: "It was named Ramsay in 1956 when residents of Burnsland, Brewery Flats, Grandview and Mills Estate consolidated as a new community named for William Thomson Ramsay, an early land agent and property owner."
Interesting, thanks! Brewery Flats is a name I have never heard before - where exactly was it? The residential area west of the brewery south of 9th Ave?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure