HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
I would guess something dense and mixed use. In my opinion the site is too small for a gas station, and that's a conditional use anyway. I think it's highly unlikely that use gets approved in this location - that'd be two steps forward, one step back in the minds of the area neighborhood associations.
so why would exxon or brothers bid on it? just confused

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
so why would exxon or brothers bid on it? just confused
I don't know that they did. As far as I know, the guy that had it under contract before the current group intended a non-gas station redevelopment as well. I think there was another contract on the property also, but this is a <7,000sf site. I just don't see how you do a gas station on something that small.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
I don't know that they did. As far as I know, the guy that had it under contract before the current group intended a non-gas station redevelopment as well. I think there was another contract on the property also, but this is a <7,000sf site. I just don't see how you do a gas station on something that small.
I agree especially when there are big gas stations a few blocks away. wasnt the building behind this property for lease recently? could be a combined project

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:54 PM

Seems far fetched they would attempt to squeeze in a gas station in that lot.

I am not a zoning expert, but I recall that the new Sterling Market/Shell station off Tchoup even needed some sort of approval. I couldn't imagine this not needing approval as well.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 10:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Seems far fetched they would attempt to squeeze in a gas station in that lot.

I am not a zoning expert, but I recall that the new Sterling Market/Shell station off Tchoup even needed some sort of approval. I couldn't imagine this not needing approval as well.
yeah that did for sure so this wouldnt happen unless its somehow grandfathered.. but since it hasnt been activing selling gas i dont think it could be... a convenience store isnt the same as a gas station.. this building is one of the worst spots on magazine so seeing it upgraded would be great

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 10:23 PM

Airport Construction Update Posted:
http://www.flymsy.com/Images/Interio...20updatev2.pdf

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 12:22 AM

If you go onto Boh Bros Construction & New Orleans Airport Twitter pages, you’ll see a MUCH better September construction pic of the North Terminal from a totally different angle from what MSY posted. Please post it if you can. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
If you go onto Boh Bros Construction & New Orleans Airport Twitter pages, you’ll see a MUCH better September construction pic of the North Terminal from a totally different angle from what MSY posted. Please post it if you can. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:24 AM
-

You can really make out how long that terminal a will be

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:24 PM
-

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 2:19 PM

Love that new flyover angle of the terminal. Looks like the project is moving along nicely.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:02 PM

Amazon HQ2

Obviously, New Orleans is a long-shot (but should try anyway). I would think that the best strategy for NOLA would be to offer $0 in direct subsidies to Amazon. We're never going to win the direct subsidies game, and so it's not even worth competing on a playing field we won't win. I think we should instead offer a package of (a) free land made up of City Hall, Duncan Plaza, Library, Charity, Old University Hospital and the vacant land around it (basically, the block bordered by Loyola Ave., Poydras, Galvez, Gravier, Claiborne, Cleveland - but excluding the office towers on Poydras and Tulane Medical Center); (b) and a promise to build an elevated rail line (like Miami's rail system) connecting MSY (perhaps even farther to the Pontchartrain Convention Center), Elmwood, Jefferson Hwy., Claiborne, Bayou Rd., Gentilly Blvd, Elysian Fields and Leon C. Simon until the Lakefront airport); (c) perhaps some other street car lines connecting close-in neighborhoods into the system (LGD to the CBD; extension of the Rampart line down St. Claude; Tulane Ave. connecting to West End Blvd.); (d) a partnership to build a Computer Science satellite campus for a couple of the best universities outside the US - perhaps National Univ. of Singapore and ETH Zurich -- that would have partnerships with Amazon (they could be based in the old Charity Hospital building right on the campus). While the campus was being built out, Amazon could use the Plaza Tower. Yes, we would offer to freeze taxes on any development that Amazon builds but we wouldn't offer the kind of job creation tax credits other cities will offer.

It obviously probably won't be enough. I don't see how we can compete against Austin or Chicago or Boston. But I think we should be forward thinking rather than stuck in a 20th century mindset.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 10:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Obviously, New Orleans is a long-shot (but should try anyway). I would think that the best strategy for NOLA would be to offer $0 in direct subsidies to Amazon. We're never going to win the direct subsidies game, and so it's not even worth competing on a playing field we won't win. I think we should instead offer a package of (a) free land made up of City Hall, Duncan Plaza, Library, Charity, Old University Hospital and the vacant land around it (basically, the block bordered by Loyola Ave., Poydras, Galvez, Gravier, Claiborne, Cleveland - but excluding the office towers on Poydras and Tulane Medical Center); (b) and a promise to build an elevated rail line (like Miami's rail system) connecting MSY (perhaps even farther to the Pontchartrain Convention Center), Elmwood, Jefferson Hwy., Claiborne, Bayou Rd., Gentilly Blvd, Elysian Fields and Leon C. Simon until the Lakefront airport); (c) perhaps some other street car lines connecting close-in neighborhoods into the system (LGD to the CBD; extension of the Rampart line down St. Claude; Tulane Ave. connecting to West End Blvd.); (d) a partnership to build a Computer Science satellite campus for a couple of the best universities outside the US - perhaps National Univ. of Singapore and ETH Zurich -- that would have partnerships with Amazon (they could be based in the old Charity Hospital building right on the campus). While the campus was being built out, Amazon could use the Plaza Tower. Yes, we would offer to freeze taxes on any development that Amazon builds but we wouldn't offer the kind of job creation tax credits other cities will offer.

It obviously probably won't be enough. I don't see how we can compete against Austin or Chicago or Boston. But I think we should be forward thinking rather than stuck in a 20th century mindset.
i dont think there is anything wrong with trying.. if anything it helps us sharpen our skills for other business pitches.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 11:25 PM

I do agree that the state needs to invest in itself, not just for Amazon, but in general. Fortunately there's already groundwork for New Orleans-BR and Mobile rail and I think they should put that on the front burner in addition to the new MSY terminal flyover ramps. It looks like NORTA is exploring bus rapid transit and I think that could be a big improvement for the Claiborne/Jefferson Hwy, Tulane/Airline, and maybe a few other corridors. Realistically I don't know if the numbers are quite there for light/elevated rail, but bus rapid transit is almost as good at a fraction of the price.

At least the state is showing surpluses after years of cuts. There are still difficulties in the budget, but I think the worst is behind us.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:28 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I do agree that the state needs to invest in itself, not just for Amazon, but in general. Fortunately there's already groundwork for New Orleans-BR and Mobile rail and I think they should put that on the front burner in addition to the new MSY terminal flyover ramps. It looks like NORTA is exploring bus rapid transit and I think that could be a big improvement for the Claiborne/Jefferson Hwy, Tulane/Airline, and maybe a few other corridors. Realistically I don't know if the numbers are quite there for light/elevated rail, but bus rapid transit is almost as good at a fraction of the price.

At least the state is showing surpluses after years of cuts. There are still difficulties in the budget, but I think the worst is behind us.
I could see a hyperloop if the tech proves feasible.. especially between new orleans and baton rouge

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 6:06 PM

Airport

This new partial expansion doesn't rule out expansion as in the original design, right? Because they're just extending the main body of the terminal and creating gates directly off it now, but originally expansions were planned to be 2 shorter concourse arms coming off the terminal's main body on either end. I'm thinking down the road when more expansion becomes necessary they would build those concourses, but just wondering if anyone heard something official about it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
This new partial expansion doesn't rule out expansion as in the original design, right? Because they're just extending the main body of the terminal and creating gates directly off it now, but originally expansions were planned to be 2 shorter concourse arms coming off the terminal's main body on either end. I'm thinking down the road when more expansion becomes necessary they would build those concourses, but just wondering if anyone heard something official about it.
They are building out one of the extensions that was originally planned for future expansion. There is still room to build another 5-6 gate concourse to the East of the main terminal building. The original design was for 30 gates, currently 35 (with the five extra being widebody gates) with room to go to 40-41 gates depending on the size.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 12:11 AM
-

Quote:
They are building out one of the extensions that was originally planned for future expansion. There is still room to build another 5-6 gate concourse to the East of the main terminal building. The original design was for 30 gates, currently 35 (with the five extra being widebody gates) with room to go to 40-41 gates depending on the size.
If i remember correctly the future terminal d which would be to the east would actually resemble terminal b and c more than terminal a if built.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
It has always been my assumption the new expansion is the first leg in creating a new full concourse that matches the other two. The airport is half a$$ing it in my opinion, with the intention of actually building out the full concourse in 15-20 years.

See link with diagram, this is by no means official, but gives an idea.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/attac...9&d=1418811973

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
It has always been my assumption the new expansion is the first leg in creating a new full concourse that matches the other two. The airport is half a$$ing it in my opinion, with the intention of actually building out the full concourse in 15-20 years.

See link with diagram, this is by no means official, but gives an idea.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/attac...9&d=1418811973
This was probably based off of one of the preliminary designs, but is not the plan currently. There will be at most a linear wing to the east that mirrors the one being built on the west side, which would bring the terminal to 40-42 gates. The thing is, if traffic grew enough to warrant more gates than that, they'd need to build an entirely new terminal or keep part of the old terminal in operation, because it would exceed the TSA processing capacity of the main terminal, not to mention check-in and baggage claim.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations