HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:41 AM
Lurker

Nope. I wish I had, though.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 5:58 PM

SLC airport recently released its stats for 2010. Good news, the airport saw a modest increase in passengers of 2.81% over the previous year's totals. Even better news, the three most recent months have seen increases of 6 to 9% over the same months in 2009, which indicates the trend will continue into 2011.

Additionally, cargo tonnage increased over 10% in 2010.

All good signs of an improving local economy.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:59 AM
Chairman

Excellent news. Which airline(s) saw the most growth?

-sb

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 8:07 PM
Lurker

I'm curious as to how the lines will be organized around downtown transit loop. Here's an Idea of mine. What do you think:

The Airport and West valley lines go clockwise

The University and Jordan/Sandy lines go counter-clockwise

(In this scenario I have the Mid-Jordan line ending in Murray.)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 1:59 AM
Lurker

Airport TRAX update

According to UTA's website:

"On Monday... crews are scheduled to begin guideway and median excavation on North Temple between I-215 and 1770 West. This will create the right-of-way for TRAX in this reach."

This means we're actually going to start seeing the construction of rail on North Temple! also,

"The first concrete pour for the bridge deck of the North Temple Viaduct is scheduled for February 1."

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:43 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I'm curious as to how the lines will be organized around downtown transit loop. Here's an Idea of mine. What do you think:

The Airport and West valley lines go clockwise

The University and Jordan/Sandy lines go counter-clockwise

(In this scenario I have the Mid-Jordan line ending in Murray.)

Two things:

1) The average wait for a TRAX train is 15 minutes. That means we are not in bad shape for using the same rails for multiple new TRAX lines (e.g. having the Mid-Jordan line continuously overlapping the Sandy line into downtown SLC). Also, because the Airport TRAX line will sync into FrontRunner via the new Viaduct TRAX/Front Runner station, there is no need to connect it to the inter-model hub.

2). A TRAX circulator is indeed needed in our future. A clockwise circulator line is essentially going to be possible with the University line continuing down 400 S. and into the SLC inter-model hub.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 3:14 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
According to UTA's website:

"On Monday... crews are scheduled to begin guideway and median excavation on North Temple between I-215 and 1770 West. This will create the right-of-way for TRAX in this reach."

This means we're actually going to start seeing the construction of rail on North Temple! also,

"The first concrete pour for the bridge deck of the North Temple Viaduct is scheduled for February 1."
This is very exciting! Have you noticed they have already started placing the Geofoam on the east side of the viaduct now? It has been really fun to watch this thing progress. I'm excited to see them start tearing up the median in North Temple.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 7:21 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Also I've notice during the last week or so crews have began placing the rail for the trax line right along the side of the road that leads you into the airport.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 12:02 PM

Taylorsville projects aimed at easing east-west congestion

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighbo...ffic.html.csp#

Taylorsville, like other cities in the west Salt Lake Valley, has long suffered from its share of traffic congestion, particularly along east-west streets.

Thursday evening , residents had a chance to express views about one project that highway engineers hope will improve traffic flow along one of those corridors — the $36 million widening from five to seven lanes along 5400 South between Bangerter and 4800 West.

The project is one of several in a long list of west valley improvements that have been constructed in recent years or are in the planning stages...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:51 PM

I like the new North Temple viaduct. It's about half the size of the old one. The whole design with a Front Runner station below and a TRAX station above connected by an escalator is very nice. It seems like there was supposed to be a parking structure south of the viaduct but there's no information about it. I thought that would be good since there's almost no parking at the intermodal hub.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 7:15 PM

UDOT releases 3 road alternatives for West Davis County
February 2nd, 2011 @ 11:29am
By Wendy Leonard
DAVIS COUNTY — Residents, farmers and businesses west of I-15 in northern Davis and southern Weber counties are one step closer to quicker commutes as the Utah Department of Transportation on Tuesday introduced three alternatives for the West Davis Corridor.

The road, which would alleviate 6,840 collective hours a day wasted sitting in traffic, is an idea that has been mulled over for nearly 50 years and studied at least twice in that time. But if the new plan gets as much support outside of UDOT as it has within, Davis' west-siders could be putting their rubber to the road as early as 2013.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14233207

UDOT has come up with 3 options for a new highway on the west side of Davis County. The article is confusing, because they say that drivers could be using the road by 2013, then says that UDOT will make a decision and seek funding in 2013. It also says that the projected cost is $500,000 - which would make for a pretty crappy freeway.

Links to more maps from UDOT are available here.

Last edited by arkhitektor; Feb 3, 2011 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 7:14 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

OK, I know SLCdude will be as excited about this as I am.

If you go to the UTA website they now have information on the progress of the Draper TRAX line.

Image by UTA

Quote:
Construction Updates

Currently, the existing rail, ties and other equipment are being removed from the corridor for salvage. After the existing track is removed, crews will begin relocating utilities such as electricity, telephone, natural gas, irrigation and water lines. Major construction of the new track should begin in spring 2011.
They are having open houses for the project on the 8th and 9th of February. More information can be found by going to the Dapper TRAX line construction updates page.
http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=Proj...e-Construction

The really cool thing about the Draper line is that it is accomplishing its most difficult feat through this segment. If you look at where it terminates the right of way is much wider and much more friendly to a very straightforward expansion all the way into Utah County; there is even 3 pre-built bridges waiting to be utilized!

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Feb 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 7:59 PM
Lurker

Great news! I didn't even know they were going to start on this line so soon. I thought it was still waiting to be approved. I also noticed on the map that the brown line continues after the Draper Town Center station as if to say "to be continued..."

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 8:59 PM
Bring out the cranes...

This is great news. Might as well get all these new lines done ASAP.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 2:51 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
This is great news. Might as well get all these new lines done ASAP.

I get the feeling UTA is very much ahead of its 2015 deadline for these projects. All they are basically doing right now with the Mid-Jordan TRAX line and the West Valley TRAX line is testing them out and figuring out how they are going to get everything calibrated for the August 7th opening day.

So now they are focused on FrontRunner South, the Airport TRAX line (which is finally chewing up the road median) and soon Draper and Sugar House.

I'm going to try and stop by the open house this week for the Draper line.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 8:16 AM
farmerboy

Streetcar Speculation / Phasing

So I'm just learning photoshop and had a little too much free time on my hands. I think this would be a cool idea for potential streetcar routes through 2025. Sugarhouse, Granary, & Westminster lines have all been previously proposed. The Central City & Liberty Lines are hybrids of Future Mayor's previous proposal connecting the Sugarhouse line with Trolley Square. I made a few modifications.

GUESSTIMATES

2012 - Sugarhouse Line 2 Miles $56 Million (Funded)

2015 - Granary Line 2.4 Miles $67.2 Million (Planning Phase)
2015 - Westminster Line .9 Miles $25.2 Million (Planning Phase)

2020 - University Line Extension (To Intermodal Hub) 1 Mile $?
2020 - Central City Line 2.3 Miles $65 Million (Speculation)

2025 - Liberty Line 3.2 Miles $89.6 Million (Speculation)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 7:14 PM

^
Are all these lines actualy being considered?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 7:22 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I like it, I still think there needs to be an additional N/S line somewhere between Main and 9th E. What do you think? Maybe 5th East or 4th E may be better as I could see more density closer to the CBD.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 7:55 PM

There has been a lot of talk about a potential streetcar along 900 South from Redwood Road to 900 East. This probably would happen after the Downtown Streetcar Line is fully funded. Finding funds for these projects is going to be more and more difficult to come by. UTA has accomplished a lot and will have all of the new lines completed on time or early and for less than initial estimates but this comes at a time when sales tax receipts are arriving far less than initial estimates when the 2015 projects were proposed.

Future Mayor, I think a streetcar line down 500 East would be a great idea. There already exists a busline along 500 East that is fairly popular.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 8:12 PM
Lurker

Don't forget the South Davis county streetcar. I'd really like to see a streetcar/Trax line that heads north from Salt Lake City. Also, a streetcar line Ogden would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
There has been a lot of talk about a potential streetcar along 900 South from Redwood Road to 900 East.
It looks like there's an existing rail corridor along 900 S between I-80 and Redwood road that could be used.

Last edited by SLCdude; Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West